• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  334
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  1

9 hours ago, other one said:

that commandment we were under does not say that you shall not kill......   says you shall not murder...    and there is a huge difference.

again i know the difference and even in defense of my family i would prefer to wound not kill. i do not think killing of a human is necessary when one defends one's own. again i urge you to do a study on shedding man's blood.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Content Count:  118
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/31/1950

1 hour ago, Ezra said:
28 minutes ago, Ezra said:

What I'm talking about is crazies, predators and rabid dogs.  How would you personally protect yourself?

While I do not own a firearm, there is nothing in Scripture to prevent Christians from taking precautions to protect themselves from predators. In the old days it was American Indians (I believe the politically correct term now is *indigenous people*). Today we have Jihadists and other crazies.  

I'm one of those rare idealistic Christians.

I put my trust in Jesus.

Funny thing.

In doing so, God has kept violence away from me and my wife the whole time (30 years).

You may ask, "what would you do if someone was trying to rape your wife and children and then cut their heads off?".

My answer would be, "It's time to move to a new neighborhood".

I'm serious, I cannot imagine myself being violent.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,491
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Birthday:  02/02/1971

22 minutes ago, Tiger Eye said:

I'm one of those rare idealistic Christians.

I put my trust in Jesus.

Funny thing.

In doing so, God has kept violence away from me and my wife the whole time (30 years).

You may ask, "what would you do if someone was trying to rape your wife and children and then cut their heads off?".

My answer would be, "It's time to move to a new neighborhood".

I'm serious, I cannot imagine myself being violent.

Even so, God does not always keep violence away from christians.  I keep thinking why did God allow Paul to be beaten, stoned, etc so many times?  Did he not defend himself?  Were there no other christians to defend Paul?  Could it be Paul was not concerned with the power weapons could have here on earth, because he knew God was more powerful.  Jesus did not defend the woman who was going to be stoned with any weapon.  I am not saying a christian can't use a weapon for defense, I am saying I am trying to make sense of this in my head.  

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  1,379
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  2

Hope you all are safe and never need the guns. I have one, and pray daily that I never have to take another's life. I serve a giver of life.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,222
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

2 hours ago, archaeologist55 said:

again i know the difference and even in defense of my family i would prefer to wound not kill. i do not think killing of a human is necessary when one defends one's own. again i urge you to do a study on shedding man's blood.

i don't disagree with you in the least......   and I've posted here many times over the years that if someone is robbing you or molesting your family, it's not likely that they are Christians and if you resort to taking their life, you are basically condemning them to hell......    and deserve it or not that is a really huge thing.

I do fully expect that if a person does not deserve to die then God will not let him die at my hands.....      but I will protect my family when I have to.    If God lets them die, it's his decision.

52 minutes ago, other one said:

i don't disagree with you in the least......   and I've posted here many times over the years that if someone is robbing you or molesting your family, it's not likely that they are Christians and if you resort to taking their life, you are basically condemning them to hell......    and deserve it or not that is a really huge thing.

I do fully expect that if a person does not deserve to die then God will not let him die at my hands.....      but I will protect my family when I have to.    If God lets them die, it's his decision.

Interesting point of view and for the most part I can agree with you. it is the last sentence that bothers me and need to ask the question-- are we avoiding taking resonsibility for our decisions by thinking that way?

Keep in mind people, I have no problem with Christians owning guns I just question the attitude behind that ownership

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,711
  • Content Per Day:  2.45
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

4 hours ago, archaeologist55 said:

You would have to back that up with actual scripture.  So you will ignore biblical teaching to do what you want...hmmm. I am not saying you cannot take a life in self-defense, I am trying to temper your attitudes. You sound as if you would enjoy killing someone. What did Jesus say to Peter when the latter cut off the man's ear-- if my kingdom was of this world my servants would fight John 18:36

seems to me, what we have here is a failure to communicate. No one here, wants to hurt another human being for any reason, even in Self defense. What we are saying is, in certain circumstances, it is Biblically allowed as we have shown through scripture, and that we, in certain circumstances, are willing to do so. Being willing to do so is entirely different then wanting to do so, and it is wholly unfair, to accuse us of we would "enjoy" it or any such thing. Your argument, is in and of itself contradictory, you say that we can take a life in self defense, yet precede it by saying our argument isnt scriptural, is a contradiction, unless of course, your accusation that we would enjoy it is true, which it is not.  Yes, I own firearms. Its safe to say I own more firearms then I have fingers. But not a single one of them has ever been used to even so much as intimidate anyone. Do I own weapons that I bought just for self defense? sure. Am I willing to use them? sure. Do I want to? no. In fact, I go out of my way to ensure I never have to. 

Now, I enjoy a good debate, but what we have here isnt one-your debating us, but its based entirely upon the misplaced notion that we would enjoy killing, which isn't true. Since thats cleared up, if you have no objections to Biblical self defense or the onwership of firearms-then in reality, you are on our side, and we are just wasting time debating a non issue.

1 hour ago, the_patriot2015 said:

seems to me, what we have here is a failure to communicate. No one here, wants to hurt another human being for any reason, even in Self defense. What we are saying is, in certain circumstances, it is Biblically allowed as we have shown through scripture, and that we, in certain circumstances, are willing to do so. Being willing to do so is entirely different then wanting to do so, and it is wholly unfair, to accuse us of we would "enjoy" it or any such thing. Your argument, is in and of itself contradictory, you say that we can take a life in self defense, yet precede it by saying our argument isnt scriptural, is a contradiction, unless of course, your accusation that we would enjoy it is true, which it is not.  Yes, I own firearms. Its safe to say I own more firearms then I have fingers. But not a single one of them has ever been used to even so much as intimidate anyone. Do I own weapons that I bought just for self defense? sure. Am I willing to use them? sure. Do I want to? no. In fact, I go out of my way to ensure I never have to. 

Now, I enjoy a good debate, but what we have here isnt one-your debating us, but its based entirely upon the misplaced notion that we would enjoy killing, which isn't true. Since thats cleared up, if you have no objections to Biblical self defense or the onwership of firearms-then in reality, you are on our side, and we are just wasting time debating a non issue.

Most likely as technically I agree with you. Sometimes people's words do not represent the attitude they are holding about this issue. I just tend to lean towards not killing even in self-defense and I am sure we both can make arguments supporting our views. Ultimately what you do in those situations is between you and God as it is you who has to live with it and the consequences. I prefer to try and avoid that situation.

48 minutes ago, Cletus said:

My attitude is this...  its better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. 

And while we are speaking on attitudes, lets clarify one thing.  What makes murder, ... murder,  is premeditated thought.  Killing is an accident or if someone broke in your house and you got into it with them and they ended up sideways on your rug.  Murder is planned out, killing is not planned out.  This should tell the tale on attitude.

I dont really wish to debate anything.  i got weapons.  I am keeping them.  Unless God tells me to get rid of them.  And I have put forth much prayer on this and no reply.  He ussually lets me know something like this in a couple weeks.  Maybe instead of questioning what others do, perhaps you should try praying about it.  Ask God what His heart is on this. 

If you re-read your words you will see that they are including killing in self-defense in the definition of murder.  People here have clearly stated their intent (plan) to kill when they defend so I think you need to re-word your statement.

There is nothing wrong with owning guns, but the attitude may be in question when one does own them. There are other scriptures like 'turn the other cheek', 'do not resist evil men' 'do unto others' 'love your neighbors as thyself' that need to be considered here.