IGNORED

Can an alcoholic be a Christian?

suray2

Guest Thallasa
On ‎01‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 7:12 AM, gdemoss said:

How I believe affects how I behave.  Saving faith is exhibited by works.  If I say I believe Jesus is Lord but do not behave accordingly then I do not believe in truth.  This person is correct in worrying about their beloved family members faith.  

Suray2, trust in God and pray for your loved ones faith to be a true saving faith that produces works.  Thank you for caring enough about them to love them until they can learn to love themselves.

Alcoholism is a deadly poison for alcohol produces what is known as the Bacchus affect where it counterfeits the same feeling of the Spirit of God empowering man.  It is an illusion and provides temporary relief from the burden of sin until the person can be brought to a place of true repentance.  The alcoholic has ruined their bodies ability to process alcohol and has developed a condition of craving that cannot be satisfied.  The only hope I have seen for them is a spiritual awakening unto God followed by the enlargement of their spiritual lives.

There is a solution.

The problem for me is how many 'christians' did they cross on their way to becoming one ,who turned away ,who thought themselves Superior ? Who did nothing , Were not their brothers keeper . There is too much of this individualistic "I'm alright , I'm saved" on this site . Well my religion says ,you will be judged on what you did not do to help those who who asked , even if indirectly . 

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.38
  • Days Won:  20

6 minutes ago, Thallasa said:

The problem for me is how many 'christians' did they cross on their way to becoming one ,who turned away ,who thought themselves Superior ? Who did nothing , Were not their brothers keeper . There is too much of this individualistic "I'm alright , I'm saved" on this site . Well my religion says ,you will be judged on what you did not do to help those who who asked , even if indirectly . 

That's a common problem(((with all sin, not just alcohol))) since around 100a.d..... or even much longer, maybe thousands of years even....

Everywhere.

Jesus addressed it.

A few listen, repent, and follow Him.

Most don't.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

11 hours ago, Thallasa said:

Jesus had that problem too.  He told a story about a priest, a levite and giod Samaritan.  I do not wish to be filled with indignation over the sins of others or I become a vessel of wrath fitted for destruction. Instead I would rather give more grace unto these "Christians" you speak of for it is the goodness of God that led me to repentance when I was yet one who would move to the other side of the street so to speak.  Thank you and bless you!

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  2
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

capital no.the scriptures is against it

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  1,185
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  02/19/1971

On 3/1/2016 at 5:17 PM, Rick_Parker said:

The key word you use here is "must." It should really be "should" or "will" in order to be correct. If it is "must", than you have a Faith plus works salvation, which is not the case.

Couldn't agree more, Rick. We will behave differently because God has given us a new nature. When a person says we must behave differently it becomes a different Gospel. God does not want our lives, he gives us new life, in fact Christ himself is our life.

By simple faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, God has given me a perfect righteous standing before him. This is apart from any good work I have done or will do. I am hidden in Christ.

With that faith also comes the promised Holy Spirit who takes up residence in me( and all who trust Christ) and he gives me the power to live and do those things that are pleasing to God.

"Romans 8:11 NIV
And if the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you, he who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies because of his Spirit who lives in you."

"Romans 8:14 NIV
For those who are led by the Spirit of God are the children of God."

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  1,050
  • Content Per Day:  0.36
  • Days Won:  3

On 2/28/2016 at 2:36 PM, suray2 said:

Just wondered what ya'll thought.  I attended a church a while back, which I actually was a member of.  The preacher was a very good man....kind and compassionate.  One day in the sermon he said that he really believed that if a person is an alcoholic they are not a Christian.  This question has bothered me for a long time because I have someone in my family that is an alcoholic and I love very much.  Couldn't that person, maybe have become a Christian earlier in life, then maybe turned from God.  I know if we are saved and turn from God, he always brings us back.  I see the person in my family who turned away from God from many years, starting to pray again and even ask for prayers.

Since we are all sinners, and none of us is without sin, is God offended by our addictions when those center in the physical organ of the brain?

1Jn 1:8 If we say that we have no sin, we are deceiving ourselves and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar and His word is not in us.

This begins a whole section of John's first letter which admonishes our casual take on God.  Like the book of James, it is very humbling to me because I fall so short.  However, I cannot save myself by being good.  I can only seek to do good.

Since none of us are perfect, we continually must come back to God and set out to try to do right once again.

As far as disease, and addiction does fall into the medical definition of a disease, please consider this verse:

Psalm 22:24 For He has not despised nor abhorred the affliction of the afflicted;
Nor has He hidden His face from him;
But when he cried to Him for help, He heard.

While sinners sin, and alcoholics drink, both can be made whole when they seek God.  Where they are on that walk may not be readily apparent to us, but we should never discount that God has the ability to determine their final destination even while we can't see how He could make that possible.  So I am loathe to condemn when I can't see where they are going.  I can only help them on the path they are on, and sometimes it is only to point to a path they could take.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  138
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  1

God's arm isn't too short to save.

Ezekiel 1:18 18 Come now, and let us reason together, saith the Lord: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool.

That being said, we should not be afraid to speak truth even when it's uncomfortable. At some point when God is drawing one to repentance, they need to choose who they will serve. Is that to say they won't have moments of weakness and knocked down a few times? Absolutely not. And I hate throwing these passages out there, because I myself have lived a life of sin. But I don't think it would be right to not post this as warnings to heed either:

1 Corinthians 6:10 nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers, will inherit the kingdom of God.

Galatians 5:19-21 Now the deeds of the flesh are evident, which are: immorality, impurity, sensuality, 20 idolatry, sorcery, enmities, strife, jealousy, outbursts of anger, disputes, dissensions, factions, 21 envying, drunkenness, carousing, and things like these, of which I forewarn you, just as I have forewarned you, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

That being said, nobody has a right to put a limit on the grace, mercy, and forgiveness of God but God Himself. Let us pray that God grants your brother the repentance that leads to life. From the sound of it, the Lord is working on Him already. God bless you and your brother, I will pray for Him.

Edited by ((Michael))

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  35
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

yes a person with an addiction can be a Believer and a Christian, of course.  God loves all of His children equally.  God will show you His love and try and help you.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

17 hours ago, algots said:

So a murderer can be a Christian? How about a Pedophile?

Who defines which addictions can be Christian attributes and which are not?

I would question someone murdering another after being saved, but being saved after a killing someone yes. Ted Bundy who killed over 65 women was saved while  a waiting execution in Florida.

When you come into a relationship with God through Jesus Christ your heart is changed and you are not the same.  But God's Grace and Mercy can change any heart even a murderers heart.  If this mans heart was truly changed by the power of God and he accepted Christ as his Savior then he is Heaven.  Only he and God know for sure if he was really saved but I believe he was.  Look at Paul, murdered thousands of Christians he became one of the most mighty preacher we have ever seen. 

The Roman Centurion who was in charge of the crucifixion of Jesus said in the end," Truly this is the Son of God."  I believe that was his statement of faith and he too rests in Heaven today.  

As I said God's Grace is very deep and can reach even in the darkest places and redeem a soul for eternity.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

25 minutes ago, algots said:

The way I saw the question was if some one who currently exercises their addiction can be a Christian.  Can a Christian be active in Christianity and be a serial murderer at the same time? Can I go on a serial spree and be a Christian?

I don't see how.  If there is a real heart change then I can't see this person continuing on with killing.  I have seen many people who are saved and battle an addiction such as drugs and alcohol.  That kind of things brings on a lot of guilt.  Many over come the addiction but only with the Grace of God and they continue to seek the Lord.