IGNORED

Can an alcoholic be a Christian?

suray2

2 hours ago, Ezra said:

True. But once we believe, we must behave differently. Saul of Tarsus is a good example.  He was preaching Christ within days of his conversion.

The key word you use here is "must." It should really be "should" or "will" in order to be correct. If it is "must", than you have a Faith plus works salvation, which is not the case.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  86
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

All your responses are so wonderful and have really touched my heart.  I feel God led me to Worthy, and I thank Him for that blessing!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Days Won:  20

18 hours ago, Rick_Parker said:

The key word you use here is "must." It should really be "should" or "will" in order to be correct. If it is "must", than you have a Faith plus works salvation, which is not the case.

No.  Actually "must" means repentance and conversion, not salvation by works.  Please note (Luke 24:47): And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.

As you quoted, the word "should" is used, not "must." But we shouldn't appear to be at odds here, as we are not. GOD bless.

• Group:  Newbie
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  1
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Yes an alcoholic can be a Christian, only Jesus Christ was without sin, with prayer and guidance, an alcoholic can be reformed.

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  207
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  8,651
  • Content Per Day:  1.17
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  03/04/1943

14 hours ago, algots said:

Can a murderer be a Christian? Aside from being labeled as a specific offender, I'm talking about one who claims Christianity while actively involved on serial murders?

Did the Apostle Paul continue murdering Christians after he made his profession of faith? Did he ever "back slide" and kill just a few more?  Or did he stop.

Now, I will concede that alcoholism isn't murder, but the concept is the same.

2 Corinthians 5:17 New King James Version (NKJV)

17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.

The verse doesn't say that God changed you. It doesn't even say that God made you new from the old stuff. It says that you are a NEW CREATION. Everything about you is new. So, from that point on, everything you do is a choice.

Our problem is that we don't believe the Bible.

:thumbsup:

Amen Beloved, Amen~!

Ye have not yet resisted unto blood, striving against sin. Ye have not yet resisted unto blood, striving against sin. Hebrews 12:4

So, Are We Now

For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;

Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:  Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;

To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus. Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? of works? Nay: but by the law of faith.

Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law.
Romans 3:23-28

Without

If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us
. 1 John 1:8-10

Sin?

Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee. Psalms 119:11

~

Be Blessed Beloved Of The KING

The LORD bless thee, and keep thee:
The LORD make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee:
The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.

And they shall put my name upon the children of Israel; and I will bless them.
Numbers 6:24-27

Love, Your Brother Joe

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  51
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,366
  • Content Per Day:  0.78
  • Days Won:  9

On 2/28/2016 at 1:36 PM, suray2 said:

Just wondered what ya'll thought.  I attended a church a while back, which I actually was a member of.  The preacher was a very good man....kind and compassionate.  One day in the sermon he said that he really believed that if a person is an alcoholic they are not a Christian.  This question has bothered me for a long time because I have someone in my family that is an alcoholic and I love very much.  Couldn't that person, maybe have become a Christian earlier in life, then maybe turned from God.  I know if we are saved and turn from God, he always brings us back.  I see the person in my family who turned away from God from many years, starting to pray again and even ask for prayers.

Yes, of course.

I don't want this to scare you with 2 timothy 2 to understand because the Lord does the work in us it's not a work of our flesh. We just cling to Christ and let his love cover our failures. When we fall short (everyone does) more grace is extended. The new life in Christ has an infant stage where we just make messes and are fed by His Spirit and His word. We have to have peace knowing it is His working in us and empowering us for victory over bondages.

When the Lord speaks the power to accomplish his commands is provided. 

When peter walked on water he said "Lord if that is you, command me to come to you." when The Lord Spoke it peter stepped out of the boat on to the water for several steps. Then He sunk. and yelled save me and the Lords hand was there. That is also our relationship. We recieve his word, we step out, we are impowered, we sink, we cry out his hand is there. It's His work in us and His Glory. If you read our Hear the testimony of the disciples that Jesus is Lord then Jesus prayer for you is in John 17 starting at verse 20. believe it and know the power to accomplish it was provided the moment He spoke it.

the worse we are when we come to Him the more special our work is.

2 timothy 2:19 Nevertheless, God’s solid foundation stands firm, sealed with this inscription: “The Lord knows those who are his,” and, “Everyone who confesses the name of the Lord must turn away from wickedness.”

20 In a large house there are articles not only of gold and silver, but also of wood and clay; some are for special purposes and some for common use. 21 Those who cleanse themselves from the latter will be instruments for special purposes, made holy, useful to the Master and prepared to do any good work.

22 Flee the evil desires of youth and pursue righteousness, faith, love and peace, along with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings

Yes,one can,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,the fight between flesh & spirit will not cease until we receive our new glorified bodies,,,,,even the Apostle Paul struggled,,,,,,,,we all have our struggles,,,,,

Romans 7:15-20New International Version (NIV)

15 I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. 16 And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. 17 As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. 18 For I know that good itself does not dwell in me, that is, in my sinful nature.[a] For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. 19 For I do not do the good I want to do, but the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing.20 Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.

Deliverance is available for every believer,that does not mean the enemy will not "try,try again" & test that flesh,,,,,the thing is to not yield to the flesh & seek to walk in Spirit & in Truth,think eternally with the Heart & mind of Jesus,,,,,,,"Resist the devil & he will flee",,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Nobody is Perfect,only Jesus is,,,,,,,,,,,

With Love-in Christ,Kwik

Guest Thallasa
On ‎29‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 8:36 PM, suray2 said:

Just wondered what ya'll thought.  I attended a church a while back, which I actually was a member of.  The preacher was a very good man....kind and compassionate.  One day in the sermon he said that he really believed that if a person is an alcoholic they are not a Christian.  This question has bothered me for a long time because I have someone in my family that is an alcoholic and I love very much.  Couldn't that person, maybe have become a Christian earlier in life, then maybe turned from God.  I know if we are saved and turn from God, he always brings us back.  I see the person in my family who turned away from God from many years, starting to pray again and even ask for prayers.

No wonder they are losing people . Instead of helping  people they turn them away . I know who is not the christian here .

Guest Thallasa
23 hours ago, algots said:

Can a murderer be a Christian? Aside from being labeled as a specific offender, I'm talking about one who claims Christianity while actively involved on serial murders?

Did the Apostle Paul continue murdering Christians after he made his profession of faith? Did he ever "back slide" and kill just a few more?  Or did he stop.

Now, I will concede that alcoholism isn't murder, but the concept is the same.

2 Corinthians 5:17 New King James Version (NKJV)

17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.

The verse doesn't say that God changed you. It doesn't even say that God made you new from the old stuff. It says that you are a NEW CREATION. Everything about you is new. So, from that point on, everything you do is a choice.

Our problem is that we don't believe the Bible.

You compare an alcoholic to a murderer ,a sad person , to a killer .