• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  4
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Hi everyone!

I have a bit of an open ended question, you could say! I was raised in an atheist household, but was always a sensitive child, in touch with some sort of spirituality and wonder of nature and the world that I couldn't explain. In my late 20's, after nearly two decades of feeling lost and trying to fill some kind of void in my life or soul, I realised that somehow... despite having no formal experience or teachings, that I believed in God, after declaring that I didn't for my entire life. I felt that God was pursuing me.. leaving me big, beautiful, billboard-sized hints in front of my face every single day that he existed, and that I was a beloved part of his creation, and that my life had a wonderful, precious meaning, despite the fact that I was certain that wasn't true. It was so confusing, because of my upbringing and the fact that most of my friends did not believe in God.. in fact most of them think that Christianity in general is a joke. Imagine my wonder, confusion, and predicament! 

Fast forward three years later, and although I've figured a few things out (after fighting lingering doubts, over and over) I've come to a place where I can finally admit to myself.. I believe in God. I feel so, so pulled towards Christianity. It feels right. It makes so much sense. After some soul searching and research and reading of my own, the part of my logical mind that refused to drop its walls has finally been appeased. Which brings me to my question: 

I would like to begin my path as a faithful, joyful Christian. I want to learn. I want to have a deeper understanding, and I want to begin to immerse myself in the faith. What do I do first? How should I proceed? What advice would you give to someone in my position? What's most important? 

Thank you so much for any advice and direction that you can give me. :-) 

Penelope 

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  207
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  8,651
  • Content Per Day:  1.17
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  03/04/1943

:emot-heartbeat:

Step

What shall I render unto the LORD for all his benefits toward me?
I will take the cup of salvation, and call upon the name of the LORD.
Psalms 116:12-13

By Step

Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts:
And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.
Psalms 139:23-24

HE Grows A Little Dearer

Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you. Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me. John 15:3-4

~

Be Blessed Beloved Daughter Of The KING

The LORD bless thee, and keep thee:
The LORD make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee:
The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.

And they shall put my name upon the children of Israel; and I will bless them. Numbers 6:24-27

Love, Your Brother Joe

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,764
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  28

4 hours ago, Penelope83 said:

Hi everyone!

I have a bit of an open ended question, you could say! I was raised in an atheist household, but was always a sensitive child, in touch with some sort of spirituality and wonder of nature and the world that I couldn't explain. In my late 20's, after nearly two decades of feeling lost and trying to fill some kind of void in my life or soul, I realised that somehow... despite having no formal experience or teachings, that I believed in God, after declaring that I didn't for my entire life. I felt that God was pursuing me.. leaving me big, beautiful, billboard-sized hints in front of my face every single day that he existed, and that I was a beloved part of his creation, and that my life had a wonderful, precious meaning, despite the fact that I was certain that wasn't true. It was so confusing, because of my upbringing and the fact that most of my friends did not believe in God.. in fact most of them think that Christianity in general is a joke. Imagine my wonder, confusion, and predicament! 

Fast forward three years later, and although I've figured a few things out (after fighting lingering doubts, over and over) I've come to a place where I can finally admit to myself.. I believe in God. I feel so, so pulled towards Christianity. It feels right. It makes so much sense. After some soul searching and research and reading of my own, the part of my logical mind that refused to drop its walls has finally been appeased. Which brings me to my question: 

I would like to begin my path as a faithful, joyful Christian. I want to learn. I want to have a deeper understanding, and I want to begin to immerse myself in the faith. What do I do first? How should I proceed? What advice would you give to someone in my position? What's most important? 

Thank you so much for any advice and direction that you can give me. :-) 

Penelope 

Welcome Penelope to Worthy:D

You are asking where to begin in your Christian walk?

How about by reading the Bible which  is Gods Word  ?

Do you know Jesus? 

Jesus is the key to Christianity ,it is not religion what you need but a relationship with Jesus who died for you and me  on the cross.

Do you know Jesus?

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that if Penelope believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life. John3:16

Maybe we can go step by step, do you know who Jesus is?

Here's what I know about Jesus. He's the son of God, but also kind of also God at the same time? I know the nativity story, who Mary is, kind of the basics. I know some of his teachings, from reading - to love eachother, not to judge people, to help the poor and unfortunate, to be kind, and perhaps to live simply and honestly. And that he ended up being persecuted for his beliefs and claims, only to rise again (Easter!). I know that it's widely believed that he paid for our sins with his life. That's what I know in a nutshell! 

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  24
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Hello Penelope83.

You are truly blessed that The Lord is calling to you.  I recommend reading The Gospel of John.

Here is a link to the Gospel online in translation that I personally find easy to read:

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John+1&version=ESV

Thanks so much GiftofGod :) I really appreicate that. It's so encouraging. <3 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Days Won:  20

On 16/03/2016 at 2:37 PM, Penelope83 said:

Penelope,

Welcome, and it is really great to see how God has been drawing you to Himself. In order to be a genuine Christian, you need the Lord Jesus Christ within, and in order to do that you need to believe the Gospel and receive Him as your own Lord and Savior.

The New Birth is the first and most important thing. Baptism as a believer comes next.  Focus on the Gospel of John, since it speaks about the New Birth. Ask the Lord to guide you and show Himself to you through His Word. God and Christ are alive and present with you no matter where you may be.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  151
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  3,149
  • Content Per Day:  1.05

Hello and welcome Penelope83

That sounds so like my life. But unlike you it has taken me reading this post to realise this! I have always been what I call a deep thinker although not an intellectual heavy weight. I mean at the age of 5 I was asking constantly who am i? And whilst at primary school in reception class when I wrote my name I would put a, ? (question mark) immediately after my name. I only remember this because the teacher decided to humiliate me regarding this.

Each Sunday my mom would take us to church (yawn!) another early memory was being in Sunday school and thinking I hate this.

For me at the mo I have this NEED to know God more but I have the cross current of not wanting to. Even now after all these years.

When I was born again is the expression in 2010 it started a hunger in me to read the bible and for these last 6 years I have hardly read anything else. In those 6 years I did have some long, cough cough, inactivity.

For me I got sick of the bloated sheep syndrome. Each week at this particular  church that I went to. I was getting more and more information but it just didn’t go anywhere. Life became one dimensional. I didn’t sign up to be a Christian to become a bloated sheep. and so I left in May 14 and started in earnest to read and study the bible in my own time and pace which is what it always seems to come down to in the end. as I have comprehension and information overload  issues and to sit and listen each week to 40 min plus sermon was so not my cup of tea.

First get to know the bible, we live in a super information highway with slick and shiny, “feel good gospels I call them. The bible is not a psychological feel good book I don’t think..

Once you have gotten to know the bible then l00k at other stuff. This is what I would encourage you to do. The New Testament is a good place to start.

Imo if you read second hand what the bible is about then you will more than likely get led up a very interesting garden path but it will very unlikely have much substance to it.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

On 3/17/2016 at 1:27 PM, Penelope83 said:

Here's what I know about Jesus. He's the son of God, but also kind of also God at the same time? I know the nativity story, who Mary is, kind of the basics. I know some of his teachings, from reading - to love eachother, not to judge people, to help the poor and unfortunate, to be kind, and perhaps to live simply and honestly. And that he ended up being persecuted for his beliefs and claims, only to rise again (Easter!). I know that it's widely believed that he paid for our sins with his life. That's what I know in a nutshell! 

Hi Penelope and welcome to Worthy.

I would suggest you start reading in the book of John in the Bible.  Don't try and figure out the trinity, us seasoned Christians haven't done that we just simply believe it is true.  That is why the Bible tells us to walk by faith and not by sight.

God makes is so simple and we are so glad for that!

Just begin by asking God to forgive you of your sins and then thank Him for loving you so much that He sent His only Son Jesus to die on a Cross for you.  His Shed Blood covers your sins.  Thank Him for dying on that Cross for you then just say " Jesus thank you for loving me.  I now accept you as my personal Lord and Savor of my life.  Please come into my heart and the Lord of my life.  I promise He will do just that.  Then just thank Him for His Grace and Mercy.  And as I said start in the book of John in the Bible.  Get a Bible you are comfortable reading. I just the New King James version and it is wonderful.  

I hope you come here often.  We also have a chat room for you to visit where you can ask questions and talk one on one to people.

Again welcome to Worthy.

Because He Lives!  RustyAngeL

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  210
  • Content Per Day:  0.07

Start by acknowledging what so much people REFUSE TO DO. Realize your a sinner worthy of hell fire. God be merciful to me a sinner! The fear of God will then open your heart to the Lord Jesus Christ!