IGNORED

Is It Ok To Consume Food That Has Blood?

((Michael))

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,045
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  12/03/1976

Qnts2, you keep saying "the majority" of the blood is drained or cooked out -- but what Teditis is pointing out is that one never removes all the blood -- maybe 90% of it can be drained, but not 100%
and the scriptures certainly don't forbid eating any meat whatsoever, so this proscription against eating blood is i think taken too far if we are concerned when only 85% of the blood was drained but it's OK if 90% is removed. ((numbers just made up -- i have no idea about actual percentages))
does that make sense? 

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,045
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  12/03/1976

On 4/23/2016 at 9:41 PM, giggling appy said:

Anyone remember the scene in the movie “dances with wolves” in which the lead hunter bends down and cuts a chunk of liver, takes a bite from it and then hands the rest of the chunk of meat to Keven Costner's character. We can assume this action in its day had paganistic ritual meaning. From this scene I can gather that in bible times, this and or similar to it was in practice from old testament times and into the new testament times.

The scene in the movie was rather startling and gross and so I can imagine that the apostles had this view and action in mind. In the movie, the scene left no doubt that the animal's life blood was still in the meat. Certainly a huge contrast between that and what is purchased in the store and then prepared to one's liking. If your that bothered by the possibility of ingesting blood, then boil all your meat, which insures there is no blood left in it.

On 4/23/2016 at 2:17 AM, Butero said:

I tend to agree with you here.  I don't think this means you cannot eat any meat that may have traces of blood.  I think it means literally eating or drinking blood, almost like a vampire drinks blood.  There is no way to be 100 percent sure, but I have never thought it was meaning someone cannot eat steak rare or medium rare, though I find undercooked meat nasty. 

i do not eat rare meat at all -- with these scriptures usually in mind, though over time probably just from keeping this habit i'm somewhat disgusted by the idea of eating rare beef.

but i tend to agree with what's said in these two posts -- that this commandment isn't really about medium vs. well-done steaks; it's about raw meat, about completely undrained meat, and about literally drinking blood. 

today there are few remaining pagan religions or groups who still make a practice of drinking blood, but in the time of the patriarchs literal blood drinking was part of many idolatrous religious practices, and it persisted in rituals in the Greco-Roman world at the time of Christ and the early church too. it wasn't even always directly connected to a pagan religion; in fact i've read that in Rome it was believed gladiator blood could cure epilepsy and had other health benefits, and when one was killed in the arena, his blood will be collected and while still warm, vendors would sell cups of it to people. after gladiator combat was banned, people collected blood from executed criminals for the same reason. 

so we're not just talking about fine degrees of blood draining or cooking temperature -- this has reference to pagan ritualism and literal blood drinking, as well as raw/undrained meat vs drained, cooked meat.

also, i believe it should not be ignored any more than abstaining from fornication should -- the council at Jerusalem gave very few instructions to gentile believers, but this is among them. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.01
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

On 4/22/2016 at 4:09 PM, tigger398 said:

Sorry but drinking blood is just gross lol

Amen sister, a little more information then I need to know!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,875
  • Content Per Day:  0.70
  • Days Won:  9

On 4/28/2016 at 3:42 AM, post said:

Qnts2, you keep saying "the majority" of the blood is drained or cooked out -- but what Teditis is pointing out is that one never removes all the blood -- maybe 90% of it can be drained, but not 100%
and the scriptures certainly don't forbid eating any meat whatsoever, so this proscription against eating blood is i think taken too far if we are concerned when only 85% of the blood was drained but it's OK if 90% is removed. ((numbers just made up -- i have no idea about actual percentages))
does that make sense? 

When you consider that God commanded that people should not eat blood, if a person accepts that command, how much blood is permissible to eat if more could be removed? In my view, that absolute maximum amount of blood which can be removed needs to be removed. To excuse the eating of 15% when one could only accidently consume 5%, is taking God's command for granted and refusing to take the effort.

I am not sure how much blood remain in the Kosher process. I do know blood remains in the normal grocery store meat which is not butchered to remove the maximum amount of blood. The Kosher process is setup to remove the maximum amount of blood. The regular slaughter process does not care if some blood remains. 

When I have eaten non-Kosher meat, I know it because the meat has a metallic taste to me, but I was brought up eating Kosher meat, and can identify the taste difference. Hamburger in particular has blood in it as the blood adds to the profit margin because it adds to the weight. Non-kosher hamburger tastes more metallic, and Kosher hamburger has a sweeter taste.