• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.80
  • Days Won:  226

12 minutes ago, shiloh357 said:

I know older people who have them and are sorry they got them.   They are cool when you're young and your skin is tight and firm.  But when a person gets old and wrinkled and their skin sags, the tattoos are just ugly.

Yes,my son got a beautiful Cross tattooed on his arm when he was younger. He felt that he just had to have this tattoo. I tried to warn him how permanent it is. He hates it now. He feels like he made a huge mistake by getting it. It is too late.

30 minutes ago, shiloh357 said:

I would never want a tattoo, but I don't think it is sin for others to get them.  I will say that I do think it is a sin to get a tattoo that glorifies sin and the devil.    But I have seen Christian themed tattoos that are okay. 

I personally don't like them, but that is just a matter of personal taste. 

Yes, it is a choice.

20 minutes ago, Ezra said:

Once we accept tattoos as a pagan practice (and frequently associated with criminals, even to this day in Russia), there is nothing harsh or judgmental about calling a spade a spade.

It is legalistic to feel this way. The NT does not forbid a tattoo.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  44
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,370
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/18/1868

we are in the world but not of it---- tatttos have become a common practice and most themes are worldly--- I think a Christian getting a tattoo is  like standing on the edge of a cliff seeing how close you can get without falling over into the world. Doesnt present a good witness in my opinion-- I have a half finished tattoo-- I became convicted about it in the process of having it completed.

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.93
  • Days Won:  3

What do you think of Tattoos?

I don't think much about them at all.  I don't think I want to get one cause I don't like needles. Then what if I don't like it? I'm stuck with it forever! :o I'm just not ready for that kind of commitment.

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.93
  • Days Won:  3

I do not want to get into the "Tattoo Debate". As I have been there and done that.  But I really want to say something so here goes.  Reading some of your post here. I am blown away at how someone of you view other people. I am blown away that someone of you would see a tattoo on someone and judge a person's life by it. One person here even said that  they think a tattoo doesn't present a good witness.  Does that mean that a person with a tattoo can not show the love of Christ to others? I can't understand people who pass judgements on a person's spiritual life and character based on nothing more then what they look like on the outside. This is not meant to cause any discorded or hurt feelings. Nor is it aimed at any one person. It is just me saying that I can not understand some of you and how you see other people. When you see something you don't like, you pull out the Laws from the Old Testament at people. But I have to wonder about the people who do that. Are they themselves following EVERY LAW  of the Old Testament? I mean EVERYONE!  From what you eat, to how you clean your house ect ect. Because if your not; then I can not understand how you decided what Laws we as Christians have to follow and what ones we do not in order for us to be seen as Christians.

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  107
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,820
  • Content Per Day:  1.30
  • Days Won:  2

1 Corinthians 3:16-17 has absolutely nothing to do with the human body.  Paul is talking in that entire chapter about the church, not the physical human form.

"Do you not know that you are a temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you? If any man destroys the temple of God, God will destroy him, for the temple of God is holy, and that is what you are."

Read the whole chapter.  Paul is teaching in 1 Corinthians 3 about the church and corruption IN the church and the destruction of the church from the inside.  He even tells them in chapter 1, if I recall correctly, that things are condoned by that church that even lost Gentiles won't do.

He is reminding them that they as Christ's Church are also the Temple of God. He's very serious that those who purposefully or neglectfully seek to destroy the church from within - God will destroy them. And that's what these people were doing with their sexual immorality, divisiveness, chaos in the worship service, making a mockery of the Lord's Supper, and even "preacher" worship.

This church was in a hot mess.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Paul DOES speak to the individual about being the Temple of the Holy Spirit in that same letter to the Church at Corinth. Here is what he says to the individual.

1 Corinthians 6:18-20 = "Flee immorality. Every other sin that a man commits is outside the body, but the immoral man sins against his own body. Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and that you are not your own? For you have been bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body."

• 1 Corinthians 3:16-17 = This is a warning to those would see the church destroyed.
  • 1 Corinthians 6:18-20 = This is directions and admonishment given to the individual Christian against sexual immorality which was accepted by that particular church.

Neither of these passages have anything to do with tattoos.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Content Count:  14,242
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

17 hours ago, JohnD said:

Personal preference... I think they are ugly.

In the Navy I came this close to getting one, but I am so glad I didn't.

My own bumps, bruises, scars,  wrinkles, and birthmark on my right breast are all the character this old bod needs.

What stopped me besides the pain I saw others go through the night I almost got one (in 1980) was the thought of the people who had a tattoo forced on them in concentration camps. And did I mention the pain? I don't like pain. It hurts me.

That is what my husband said after being in the Navy.  I am glad he didn't.  There is a good chance I would not have married him had he got one.  I think they are ugly as well and get much uglier with age.  Even the ones that are finely done and rather pretty won't be that in 30 years, and the person would still be much better looking without it.  

When I was raised we went to the circus to see the tatted lady.  I might be able to tolerate one on a man if it were godly and less than a square inch.  Hopefully I would be able to ignore it in time.  I just find them repulsive.

• Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  320
  • Content Count:  6,830
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Days Won:  1

Its an old testament law,

Leviticus 19:28 states: "Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD."

Although the ancient pagan custom of etching or tattooing symbols on human flesh was forbidden by God Tattooing for Jesus,  by David Cloud reveals that this heathen custom is now being introduced to the churches. I certainly would not have any tattoo on my body.

Just as Leviticus 19:29 is also an Old testament law which states; "Do not prostitute thy daughter, to cause her to be a whore; lest the land fall to whoredom, and the land become full of wickedness." I would not do this either!

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,710
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

7 hours ago, Jayne said:

1 Corinthians 3:16-17 has absolutely nothing to do with the human body.  Paul is talking in that entire chapter about the church, not the physical human form.

"Do you not know that you are a temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you? If any man destroys the temple of God, God will destroy him, for the temple of God is holy, and that is what you are."

Read the whole chapter.  Paul is teaching in 1 Corinthians 3 about the church and corruption IN the church and the destruction of the church from the inside.  He even tells them in chapter 1, if I recall correctly, that things are condoned by that church that even lost Gentiles won't do.

He is reminding them that they as Christ's Church are also the Temple of God. He's very serious that those who purposefully or neglectfully seek to destroy the church from within - God will destroy them. And that's what these people were doing with their sexual immorality, divisiveness, chaos in the worship service, making a mockery of the Lord's Supper, and even "preacher" worship.

This church was in a hot mess.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Paul DOES speak to the individual about being the Temple of the Holy Spirit in that same letter to the Church at Corinth. Here is what he says to the individual.

1 Corinthians 6:18-20 = "Flee immorality. Every other sin that a man commits is outside the body, but the immoral man sins against his own body. Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and that you are not your own? For you have been bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body."

• 1 Corinthians 3:16-17 = This is a warning to those would see the church destroyed.
  • 1 Corinthians 6:18-20 = This is directions and admonishment given to the individual Christian against sexual immorality which was accepted by that particular church.

Neither of these passages have anything to do with tattoos.

Actually at least the first passage, is clearly about the physical body as well as the soul behind it. I agree with you it's not specifically about tattoos however, because the argument can be made that tattoos do not destroy the body.

Realistically, the strongest argument against tattoos is the old testament law, such as hazard quoted. And in Romans 7 I believe, the apostle law is still applicable as it tells us what sin is.