• Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  336
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  11/12/1953

On 7/27/2016 at 3:33 PM, HAZARD said:

Blaspheming the Holy Spirit.

Over the years especially in the work place, and now nearly everywhere I hear people using foul / filthy language every day. Mostly saying, Holy - this, and holy - that, and holy - something else," the words this, and that, and something else, being very foul / filthy language. Both men and women, and even younger teens, and I know most don't even know their doing it. Its become a habit, a second language.

I'm thinking, could this be blaspheming the Holy Spirit as the Scriptures warn?

Mark 3:28-29, Verily I say unto you, All sins shall be forgiven unto the sons of men, and blasphemies wherewith soever they shall blaspheme: V. 29, But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness, but is in danger of eternal damnation:

When blaspheming the Holy Spirit, God says one hath never forgiveness but is in danger of eternal damnation. To never be forgiven would guarantee eternal damnation.

To call something filthy, holy (****), is that blaspheming the Holy Spirit?

When I overhear strangers speak like this I immediately pray God forgive them for they know not what they are saying.

Thoughts ?

Blaspheming the Holy Spirit is knowingly attributing the works of the Holy Spirit to Satan, knowing that it is not Satan that is doing the work but that it is the Holy Spirit. The Pharisees in Matthew 12:24 came very close to doing this which is why Jesus warned them about it in V31. I do not believe that non-believers can blaspheme the Holy Spirit as they really don't know God.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  320
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  6,830
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Days Won:  1

46 minutes ago, StanJ said:

Blaspheming the Holy Spirit is knowingly attributing the works of the Holy Spirit to Satan, knowing that it is not Satan that is doing the work but that it is the Holy Spirit. The Pharisees in Matthew 12:24 came very close to doing this which is why Jesus warned them about it in V31. I do not believe that non-believers can blaspheme the Holy Spirit as they really don't know God.

I agree.

I posted this earlier;

Hazard Posted August 6 · Report post

Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is attributing to the devil the works or manifestations of the Holy Ghost.

It is unforgivable if done maliciously or knowingly.

Matthew 12:32 ; Mark 3:28 ; Luke 12:10.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0

15 minutes ago, HAZARD said:

I agree.

I posted this earlier;

Hazard Posted August 6 · Report post

Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is attributing to the devil the works or manifestations of the Holy Ghost.

It is unforgivable if done maliciously or knowingly.

Matthew 12:32 ; Mark 3:28 ; Luke 12:10.

Thanks, I'm not a big fan of reading posts on a thread when I already have an opinion. ;)

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  320
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  6,830
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Days Won:  1

6 minutes ago, StanJ said:

Thanks, I'm not a big fan of reading posts on a thread when I already have an opinion. ;)

Especially when they are several pages long, and you know your opinion is the correct one straight out of the Word of God.   :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, HAZARD said:

Especially when they are several pages long, and you know your opinion is the correct one straight out of the Word of God.   :thumbsup:

:rolleyes:  Yeh something like that. :)

6 hours ago, StanJ said:

But the thing is this: what would cause someone to blaspheme the Holy Spirit? The core of the unforgivable sin is a heart so hardened, it has turned to solid stone. Such a heart would not respond to the Holy Spirit, the Grace of God or anything else. It indicates a person who can no longer be reached by the Lord and has so completely rejected Him as to commit such an act.

Those who believe would not commit this act (as expressed in Hebrews 6:9), as the Holy Spirit lives within them, but those who do not trust in the Lord are very much in danger of their hearts hardening against Him.

Edited by RobertS

Guest shiloh357

The Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit can only be understood in the context in which it is presented.   It is not mentioned in any epistle, and that is significant.   It is only mentioned in connection with Jesus' earthly ministry AND it is only mentioned in connection with the casting out of demons. 
The ONLY people in the Scriptures who committed it were unbelievers who hated Jesus and His ministry.

Blasphemy is slander.  It is not done on accident.  It is intentional.   It is a deliberate attempt to injure God's reputation.  No one can unknowingly do such a thing.   When you slander someone, you know what you're doing and you expect it to have a particular effect.   There is evidence that the religious leaders knew or strongly suspected that Jesus was the promised Messiah and they hated Him all the more for it.    They  were deliberately attempting to injure the reputation of the Holy Spirit.

The reason it is unforgivable is not because it is so "over-the-top,"   so heinous that not even God can forgive it.   That would make man more powerful than God if man can sin outside of God's power to forgive/cleanse/redeem.    Rather, it is unforgivable because the kind of person who would knowingly slander the Holy Spirit is irretrievably wicked.   There are people who are so wicked that their hearts are seared and they cannot hear the voice of God and as a result are unable/unwilling to repent.    The people who commit this sin have so utterly rejected God that their act of blasphemy is purposeful, premeditated and they are wholly committed to it.   It is unforgivable because of the impenitence of the offender.

For that reason, if you are worried enough that you have to ask, "Have I committed the unpardonable sin?"   You haven't.  And if you had committed it, you wouldn't care.

Too often, this sin is used by false teachers and false "miracle" workers to frighten other believers into silence, in order to shut down any attempt challenge their questionable doctrines and so-called "miracles."    I have lost count of the number of times I have seen that happen.  If you believe you have the truth, questions should not threaten you.

The NT carries no warnings to believers about this sin.  If a believer could commit this sin and essentially be lost forever as a result, that would be the most important topic in the epistles, there would be copious amounts of warnings and teachings to ensure that believers don't commit this sin.   But we don't see that anywhere in the NT.    It is a sin rooted in unbelief, making it impossible for a committed follower of Jesus to commit it.  And there would be nothing in the heart of a committed follower of Jesus that would even prompt such a thing.

6 hours ago, RobertS said:

But the thing is this: what would cause someone to blaspheme the Holy Spirit? The core of the unforgivable sin is a heart so hardened, it has turned to solid stone. Such a heart would not respond to the Holy Spirit, the Grace of God or anything else. It indicates a person who can no longer be reached by the Lord and has so completely rejected Him as to commit such an act.

Those who believe would not commit this act (as expressed in Hebrews 6:9), as the Holy Spirit lives within them, but those who do not trust in the Lord are very much in danger of their hearts hardening against Him.

I think anyone with the attitude that the Pharisees had which was one of Power Brokers that were being threatened, could easily result in them accusing someone they knew was of God and using God's power but wasn't being done in the way that they expected or in the way that they approved. Remember the Pharisees were not unbelievers but they were tribal leaders and even in the modern-day Church if you threaten the tribal leaders position don't be surprised at the vitriolic response and reaction you could receive. Remember the old adage... power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

5 hours ago, shiloh357 said:

The NT carries no warnings to believers about this sin.  If a believer could commit this sin and essentially be lost forever as a result, that would be the most important topic in the epistles, there would be copious amounts of warnings and teachings to ensure that believers don't commit this sin.   But we don't see that anywhere in the NT.    It is a sin rooted in unbelief, making it impossible for a committed follower of Jesus to commit it.  And there would be nothing in the heart of a committed follower of Jesus that would even prompt such a thing.

Actually there is a warning in 1st John 5:16-17 about this sin.

Guest shiloh357
2 hours ago, StanJ said:

Actually there is a warning in 1st John 5:16-17 about this sin.

No, that is not about blasphemy of the Holy Spirit.   Again, there is no way a believer in Jesus can commit a sin that is rooted in unbelief and rejection of Jesus.