• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

9 hours ago, Butero said:

I find the anti-legalism movement is far more dangerous.  I see them as going way too far in the other direction, trying to force their views on everyone

And this is different from legalism . . . how? Since when have legalists let bygones by bygones?

It is none of their business how others run their churches. 

Is it your business to tell others how they are to conduct their faith and how they should believe?

They are promoting anarchy, and the false notion that our personal feelings are how the Spirit leads us, and anyone that preaches about God's laws and against sin is the problem.  I don't believe people like that are representing Christ on earth. 

I significantly disagree with your interpretation of this. 

I used to believe in the Law-based Gospel. But I also subconsciously believed that God was up there with a sledge hammer, waiting to strike me whenever I messed up. 

As I am learning to embrace the Mercy-based Gospel, I am finding freedom from feeling terrified of God. And I am learning a lot more about love than I ever knew before. It's hard to love your neighbor as yourself when you do not love yourself, and it is hard to love yourself when you can't stop perceiving God as being an slave-driver with a whip you have to tip-toe around rather than a loving Father who wants to wrap His arms you.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.80
  • Days Won:  226

1 hour ago, GoldenEagle said:

I guess I'm thinking of someone else then. 

I believe there are essentials to the faith and there are non-essentials. I think too you are reading into what I say. See this discussion on the subject.

I believe that a person who was divorced and re-married can be an elder, deacon, or bishop. He is at that point in time the husband of but one wife. I just see things differently than you on this matter. And that is okay by me.

No problem in my eyes. On this post you admitted to changing what the OT Sabbath literally meant so apparently we all look at Scripture through the lens of our own interpretations. 

Brother, I'm going to take a break from this thread for a bit. It seems we are having trouble staying on topic. I'll come back at some point in the future to discuss the issue of control further. 

God bless,
GE

I think that if a person has a true Biblical divorce, infidelity or a non Christian leaves a person is free to remarry. Otherwise they are committing adultery. I have chosen to not remarry even though I had a Biblical divorce but that is just my thing.

A Law-based Gospel is explained by this writer:

"The passage [I was reading] is Psalm 37 where it says to “trust the Lord and you will live in safety... Delight in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart... Commit everything to Him and He will help you...”  In the environment in which I was raised, where the law trumped grace and God’s love was conditional based on works and living within His “principles”, these verses were read as commandments.  So if I did not feel safe, it was because I was not trusting the Lord.  If I did not have the desires of my heart, then I was not delighting in Him enough.  And even further than that, to delight in Him was to deny my own desires (which we were taught were sinful).  So therefore, “commiting everything” to Him was to deny myself entirely and then, only then, would God help me." (emphasis mine)

Source

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,491
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/02/1971

18 minutes ago, Butero said:

The Bible states that the fear of God is the beginning of wisdom.  We should fear Him. 

It most definitely is my business to tell people the truth about what the Bible says on a given subject.  If someone starts a thread and asks for opinions, I am going to give mine.  If I am in a church and preaching the sermon, I am going to give people the truth without compromise.  God expects nothing less.  That includes how people conduct their lives.  If they don't want to hear it, don't ask and don't come to hear me speak. 

Though I fail often, I pray that I might be follow the leading of the Holy Spirit more and my opinions less.  

8 hours ago, Butero said:

The Bible states that the fear of God is the beginning of wisdom.  We should fear Him. 

When you think of "the fear of the Lord," do you think of a tormenting feeling that adds stress to your life?

That is what I was experiencing.

Is that what you experience?

It most definitely is my business to tell people the truth about what the Bible says on a given subject.  If someone starts a thread and asks for opinions, I am going to give mine.  If I am in a church and preaching the sermon, I am going to give people the truth without compromise.  God expects nothing less.  That includes how people conduct their lives.  If they don't want to hear it, don't ask and don't come to hear me speak. 

So, it's OK for YOU to do this, but not others?

We all believe our opinions are right about what "the Bible says," even when it contradicts others' opinions on what the Bible says. 

2 hours ago, nebula said:

When you think of "the fear of the Lord," do you think of a tormenting feeling that adds stress to your life?

That is what I was experiencing.

Is that what you experience?

So, it's OK for YOU to do this, but not others?

We all believe our opinions are right about what "the Bible says," even when it contradicts others' opinions on what the Bible says. 

The fear of the Lord is real in my life when I am disobedient.  If I am doing things I know are wrong, it causes fear of the consequences.  I don't go around in fear that God is going to do bad things to me for no reason. 

I have no problem with anyone giving an opinion if asked, and if they are teaching or preaching in a church, I expect them to share what the Lord laid on their heart.  My issue is with those whose mission is to go into other people's churches to try to change them, or that spend all their time targeting other ministries to destroy them. 

• Group:  Royal Member *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  10,596
  • Content Per Day:  3.69
  • Days Won:  25

6 minutes ago, Butero said:

The fear of the Lord is real in my life when I am disobedient.  If I am doing things I know are wrong, it causes fear of the consequences.  I don't go around in fear that God is going to do bad things to me for no reason. 

I have no problem with anyone giving an opinion if asked, and if they are teaching or preaching in a church, I expect them to share what the Lord laid on their heart.  My issue is with those whose mission is to go into other people's churches to try to change them, or that spend all their time targeting other ministries to destroy them. 

Maybe God laid on their heart to do those things. 

6 minutes ago, Out of the Shadows said:

Maybe God laid on their heart to do those things. 

Something did.  I don't believe it was the Lord. 

2 hours ago, Butero said:

How about afraid all the time because you can't trust yourself to not sin - attitude, speaking words in rage when being verbally assaulted by others, lust, acting selfishly, etc.?

52 minutes ago, nebula said:

How about afraid all the time because you can't trust yourself to not sin - attitude, speaking words in rage when being verbally assaulted by others, lust, acting selfishly, etc.?

I should have fear of the consequences if I sin.  If I went around all day sinning constantly and had no self control, I would be terrified.  I would feel the need to repent constantly.  I am like that today, and I think that is a healthy fear.