• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,242
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

8 hours ago, Out of the Shadows said:

They can have my pressure cooker when they pry it from my chubby, greasy fingers!  

Amen!  It is the perfect maker of chili, stew, and anything else for which I need an 8 qt. container.  Best pot roast.  I would never waste a good stainless steel pressure cooker on a bomb.  Maybe my old 6 qt aluminum?

It would make more sense to ban pipes, since they are used for more bombs than pressure cookers.  

1 minute ago, Cobalt1959 said:

Lots of things can be misused as a weapon.  That does not mean they should be banned.  That means that anyone using them to harm or kill people should be severely punished.

Ya think?  Hasn't that been the point of this thread?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.80
  • Days Won:  226

18 minutes ago, Cobalt1959 said:

I've never had a pressure cooker because, quite frankly, they scare me to death.  Mom had one and used it a lot when we were kids. but once crock pots came out I never remember her using it one time after that.

Lots of things can be misused as a weapon.  That does not mean they should be banned.  That means that anyone using them to harm or kill people should be severely punished.

I have heard that they can be dangerous as well. So I have never had one. I also do not think they should be banned but the offender punished.

Sorry, this whole thread has been a parody on banning guns, as I have seen it.  It is crazy people  and thugs that use them as weapons and ignorant people who misuse them.  Some have had to use weapons for self defense and war, but it is never pleasant and killing people is not something most people choose to do when it is not necessary.  

Didn't mean to offend you, brother.  It was not meant to be derogatory toward you at all.  I just assumed everyone was being a little sarcastic about banning pressure cookers, hoodies, gloves, computers etc. to protect the public from crime.

My mom always cooked with pressure cookers, as have I.  My slow cooker stands unused.  Hubby never wanted me to leave anything plugged  in all day and wouldn't even let me use the oven timer or coffeemaker timer.  He has his quirks.  But he is fine with the pressure cooker.  So it works for us.  Love my pressure cooker.  

3 hours ago, RustyAngeL said:

What I"m seeing in this thread is a lot of fear.  The Bible says: "God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of love and of power and of a sound mind and well balanced mind"  That is what the Amplified version says.  To be so afraid that we would want to ban pressure cookers is just more then I can understand. I learned 8 years ago when I lost my husband Steve there was very little left in this world to be afraid of.  Living in that kind of fear takes so much out of you, why go there?

Blessings, RustyAngeL

I was seeing a lot of people with a good sense of humor who could see how ludicrous these suggestions were.  Pat's fertilizer illustration was pretty bad, though.  One of those "using the item ignorantly and inappropriately" illustrations.  In many places dry cow pies are used for fuel when wood is scarce.  

So let's go back to banning pipes.  No plumbing allowed.  Moreover, think about the expense of destroying all pipes.  :laugh:

• Group:  Royal Member *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  10,596
  • Content Per Day:  3.69
  • Days Won:  25

32 minutes ago, Cobalt1959 said:

I've never had a pressure cooker because, quite frankly, they scare me to death.  Mom had one and used it a lot when we were kids. but once crock pots came out I never remember her using it one time after that.

I have both, the pressure cooker is great when you do not have a lot of time plus I think it does things like a beef or pork roast much better than a crock pot.  They always come out more juicy and tender from the pressure cooker than the crock pot.   My crockpot is my main tool for soups, stews and chili. 

• Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,710
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

1 hour ago, Willa said:

I was seeing a lot of people with a good sense of humor who could see how ludicrous these suggestions were.  Pat's fertilizer illustration was pretty bad, though.  One of those "using the item ignorantly and inappropriately" illustrations.  In many places dry cow pies are used for fuel when wood is scarce.  

So let's go back to banning pipes.  No plumbing allowed.  Moreover, think about the expense of destroying all pipes.  :laugh:

you didnt like my fertilizer suggestion? well, I would not recomend it......lol

34 minutes ago, Cobalt1959 said:

Beyond Pigs in a Blanket (which I always hated) I can't remember what else Mom made in the pressure cooker.  I love the crock pot for things like Meatball Stew, Swiss Steak, Green Chili, or Corned Beef.  I used to make Ham Hocks & Beans in the crock pot but I now make them in a pot on the stove.  It takes half the time and I can taste absolutely no difference in them at all.

I agree that not all things taste different in the crock pot, I use mine often more out of convenience than taste improvement.  If I can mix all the ingredients together, put the lid on and come back in 8 hour and eat it, then I am a happy man! 

49 minutes ago, Cobalt1959 said:

The problem being that yes, in many cases, crock pot recipes can be more hands-off and less attention-driven where you can just drop all the stuff in and walk away, but Ham Hocks & Beans is not one of those dishes.  You never know exactly how much water the batch will ultimately need, so if you are going to have to babysit it in the crock pot, that defeats the purpose of making it in the crock pot so you might as well just do it in a pot over the stove.  But I wouldn't try and make Swiss Steak or Meatball Stew or Beef Stroganoff in anything but the crock pot.

My wife and I actually find a pressure cooker occasionally at the DAV, but I have never been tempted to buy one and they are always missing whatever that chattering thing is that goes on the top that regulates the pressure.

One thing i know, all this talk about food is making me hungry!  I have not done much of crock pot cooking due to the weather, but now I am itching for a nice soup! 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.93
  • Days Won:  3

Only on Worthy Christian Forums can you go from exploding pressure cooker bombs to swiping recipes on crock pot cooking.