GoodFruit

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  138
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

I found myself in an uncomfortable situation this weekend.  I was getting into my car at a store when I observed an older senior man crossing the street coming towards where I was parked.  He appeared to be homeless and was carrying a large plastic bag containing what looked like pop cans for a deposit refund.  As he stepped from the roadway into the grass he raised his hand at me as though he was signaling me.  I continued to get into my car and (quickly) drive away from him.

Moments later, I had an overwhelming sense of shame and conviction as though I should have maybe stopped to see if he needed help or something.  I am not beyond helping someone in need and generously donate clothing and goods to thrift missions, food to food pantries, etc., but I seem to avoid people on the street approaching me for help.  Usually it doesn’t bother me but this time I felt a sense of guilt about it.  Not sure why.

What would you have done?

Also, how do you feel about people who stand at an intersection with a cardboard “help” sign panhandling?  Do you give to them?

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  138
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/15/1941

As crazy as it sounds I believe you did the right thing being that you were alone. It's the times we live in and don't be ashamed for making good decisions about health, safety and your well being. I support what you had to do. Have a nice one.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.34
  • Days Won:  20

48 minutes ago, GoodFruit said:

Since you had no idea about this person, and as a female, you were wise to be better safe than sorry.

49 minutes ago, GoodFruit said:

Also, how do you feel about people who stand at an intersection with a cardboard “help” sign panhandling?  Do you give to them?

It would depend.  Some are manipulators while others are genuinely in need.  Again, a single young woman needs to think of safety first.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,993
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,691
  • Content Per Day:  11.76
  • Days Won:  226

2 hours ago, GoodFruit said:

I found myself in an uncomfortable situation this weekend.  I was getting into my car at a store when I observed an older senior man crossing the street coming towards where I was parked.  He appeared to be homeless and was carrying a large plastic bag containing what looked like pop cans for a deposit refund.  As he stepped from the roadway into the grass he raised his hand at me as though he was signaling me.  I continued to get into my car and (quickly) drive away from him.

Moments later, I had an overwhelming sense of shame and conviction as though I should have maybe stopped to see if he needed help or something.  I am not beyond helping someone in need and generously donate clothing and goods to thrift missions, food to food pantries, etc., but I seem to avoid people on the street approaching me for help.  Usually it doesn’t bother me but this time I felt a sense of guilt about it.  Not sure why.

I think today you can never be too careful. I might have stayed in my car and rolled my window down enough to hear what he had to say.

I do not donate to anyone standing on the street with a cardboard sign. There are many areas where those in genuine need can get help. But that help will not include drugs and alcohol. If I were to give them anything at all it would be a food gift certificate.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,798
  • Content Per Day:  6.19
  • Days Won:  58

One time, when I was alone and vulnerable, a man rode up on a bicycle and said his car broke down and he needed money to get a specific part. I said no and quickly got in my car. Afterwards I drove up and gave him a dollar. I felt like I let the Lord down though and asked Him what I should have done. He said I should have bought the part and brought it to they guy. Lesson learned.

If they look genuinely homeless and not a scammer looking for handouts (which happens here), then my hubby and I will get them a meal. We place it down a few feet from them though. In my area, people have been stabbed by homeless. Recently a woman tried to buy a homeless man a meal and he chased her into the restaurant shouting I will kill you all. So we are cautious.

Perhaps you should spend time in prayer and ask Him what you should have done?

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,993
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,691
  • Content Per Day:  11.76
  • Days Won:  226

I was walking down the street of a well known older neighborhood. I was going to go into the Greek deli and purchase a sandwich. I saw a lady with a sign that said "I am hungry I need money for a meal". I approached this lady and told her I would go into the deli and buy her a sandwich. She said " Are you kidding? I don't want the food I want only the money".

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,260
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

2 hours ago, GoodFruit said:

I would have done something that I would not even have you think about doing.....   I would have walked over to him and met him half way so he could not jump into my car if he was up to no good.    I would have probably helped him with what he needed......   however I am almost always armed and if the least bit careful of how you approach people I really don't have to fear what you would have being a female by yourself....    you did what was right for you at the time from my personal viewpoint.....   I think if God needed you to help the man he would have removed the concern you had for your safety.

As for the people at the intersections with a cardboard, I look at thier shoes to see if I could afford what they are wearing....    I'm more lenient on people with missing parts.

The TV station I worked for before going to Xerox did a special on those people and we found that about half of them were making 30 to 45 thousand dollars a year standing their accepting donations...    and that was back in the very early 70's.....   and that was way more than the national average wage at the time as I remember.

• Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

2 hours ago, Ezra said:

Since you had no idea about this person, and as a female, you were wise to be better safe than sorry.

It would depend.  Some are manipulators while others are genuinely in need.  Again, a single young woman needs to think of safety first.

That is what I was going to say.  I"m a widow and don't take any chances.  My husband always taught me that I needed to be aware of my surroundings.  I believe you did right.  All you can do is pray for the man. 

the seven years I worked nights for Xerox, much of my time was involved with two companies that were right in the middle of the part of city the where the homeless people stayed and in between service calls I got to talking to them and got to know several...   they will teach you how to tell the ones who really need help and those who are just panhandling for a living.

I found it was extremely fulfilling to help those that needed the help......   many of them have mental problems that just won't let them be a part of society.

One in particular I was familiar with asked me for a dollar in a convenience store one morning and when I took out my bill fold all I had was two twenties.....   he looked a little lost for a minute and I told him I didn't have a dollar but I would share one of my 20's with him.....    you just couldn't imagine how it made him feel and I worried a bit if he might take what he didn't need to eat at the time and buy alcohol with it, but my fears were abated as he started for the front door he asked two of his other homeless friends if they would join him in a real breakfast at McDonald's...

you would not believe how much the homeless take care of each other and share just about everything.....   and after that time how many breakfasts i bought at McDonald's.

Another one I'll tell you about, but I would not ask you to repeat it as the absolute truth for it's kind of hard to accept.

I met this person one night about three in the morning helping an elderly man that had fallen in a parking lot.   I went over to see if I could help and he said he had it under control....   I stayed to see if I needed to do anything and got to talking to the person I would call George.....   turned out that George was something kind of special....   He was a board certified neurology surgeon....   long story short he just got tired of the stress and watching people die or end up the way too many people with brain problems end up and after his wife started cheating on him he just gave it all up....    Divorced her sold his house and moved out into the streets....   one of those God-sent people who was on site helping those who couldn't help themselves...

No telling how much he had stashed away in some bank, but was perfectly happy living on the streets...