• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Rule number one or two or three or whatever of fact-checking things like this - you need to answer these questions:

Where did they get their numbers from? How was the research conducted? What is the margin of error? 

Seriously, was this done via survey? Interviews? On-line records? What?

And does this report account for the guns on the street (aka illegally obtained)?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

On 9/20/2016 at 7:53 AM, Out of the Shadows said:

50% of American guns owned by 3% of population

Cannot say I am really surprised, those I know that have guns all have multiple guns.   I know I do my part to be one of the 3%ers!   I was thinking about when I read this, and I do not think I know anyone that owns just one gun.  

If 50% of guns are owned by 3% of the population, and if no one owns just one gun - how many guns do the owners of the other 50% of guns have each?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.21
  • Days Won:  58

How many would even tell the truth in a survey? How many gun owners who have unregistered guns would think I aint telling them anything. I know I wouldnt likely admit to it. 

• Group:  Royal Member *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  10,596
  • Content Per Day:  3.69
  • Days Won:  25

3 hours ago, ayin jade said:

How many would even tell the truth in a survey? How many gun owners who have unregistered guns would think I aint telling them anything. I know I wouldnt likely admit to it. 

Since only 6 states require registration, I am not sure why having unregistered guns would be a problem.  The folks I know with a nice gun collection are very proud of it and have no trouble telling people what they have.  

I posted the article because I found it interesting and I found that it matched what I have experienced during my life as a gun owner (which started in the 60s).  

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  597
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,116
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

the problem with your post is that even if 3% own half the guns what about the other 97%.

So as I was speaking before, what's the point of 3% having half the guns.....    There are enough left over for each of the 97% to also have guns.

The OP article states the estimate of 245 million guns in the country but government statistics said there were 300 million in 1968.     I would guess the poll was flawed or the people just didn't want to answer.....     but even if true isn't much more than an oddity pointing out some people either being collectors or survivalists......    or non licensed gun dealers that buy and sell often. 

• Group:  Royal Member *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  10,596
  • Content Per Day:  3.69
  • Days Won:  25

5 minutes ago, other one said:

the problem with your post is that even if 3% own half the guns what about the other 97%.

So as I was speaking before, what's the point of 3% having half the guns.....    There are enough left over for each of the 97% to also have guns.

But the other 97% do not all own guns.  I lived about a decade split between two major cities of both of more than a million people and almost no one that had lived there for any length of time owned any guns at all, it just was not something people did.  I do not think this is radical or liberal thinking, it is just reality.  When I lived there I kept all but two of my guns at my parent's house as there was no good reason to have them all since it was just about impossible to find somewhere reasonable to shoot them.  Even having two guns made me the outlier of the people in the city.

I do not understand why this study has you all so freaked out, makes no sense at all.

• Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,710
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

14 minutes ago, other one said:

The OP article states the estimate of 245 million guns in the country but government statistics said there were 300 million in 1968.     I would guess the poll was flawed or the people just didn't want to answer.....     but even if true isn't much more than an oddity pointing out some people either being collectors or survivalists......    or non licensed gun dealers that buy and sell often. 

Thing is, that was in 1968. I can garentee that number is higher now just by pure logic, which pretty calls into doubt one statistic in that article, which makes one wonder about the rest of it.

What I want to know is how they even came up with their list. How would they know who owns howany guns, especially as has been pointed out by shadow himself only 6 States have registration. Without a master list, a statistic like this is impossible to prove-and most likely fabricated, and if not the results are skewed due to incomplete or bad data.

• Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,710
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

And as far as why it always bothers me when the media puts out faulty news and statistics in order to sway public opinion towards further gun control. They are in essence trying to paint gun owners as elitists, that the 3% are like the 1% of the rich-that the few hold all the power and pits people against them. 

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  597
  • Content Count:  56,116
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

14 minutes ago, Out of the Shadows said:

But the other 97% do not all own guns.  I lived about a decade split between two major cities of both of more than a million people and almost no one that had lived there for any length of time owned any guns at all, it just was not something people did.  I do not think this is radical or liberal thinking, it is just reality.  When I lived there I kept all but two of my guns at my parent's house as there was no good reason to have them all since it was just about impossible to find somewhere reasonable to shoot them.  Even having two guns made me the outlier of the people in the city.

I do not understand why this study has you all so freaked out, makes no sense at all.

I'm not all freaked out over it, just pointing out that it's really meaningless because it really doesn't point out how many of the 97% do or do not have guns.....    I agree that there are many cities that try their best to ban guns, but still this poll has no real input as to how many do own guns.....     and the people I know that do have guns that do not have any kinds of permits would not tell any pollster they had them...       I just can't see the point of the article except showing where some people are have a lot of guns.     Personally I know three people who have 17 guns and more and are collectors.....   have been collecting thier whole lives..    

I guess I just don't see the point of the article.

• Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

How many would even tell the truth in a survey? How many gun owners who have unregistered guns would think I aint telling them anything. I know I wouldnt likely admit to it.                                                 Ayin Jade

Agreed-lol    The stats are silly if you ask me,as Pat said....what about all the unregistered guns in States where it is not necessary to register? If these stats are even halfway accurate we can assume that it can be at LEAST doubled for the unregistered & then perhaps quadrupled for the illegal firearms.....I know many folks who do own just one gun,they are not gun nuts like me or Pat & just have one in the home for protection

Down here in Fla thinbgs have changed,guns must be registered now & they did not have to be years ago,does anyone think the owners of those gunsd(pre-registration law) ran to get them registered  to report the own an illegal firearm- uhh,don't think so?