• Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  40,796
  • Content Per Day:  7.95
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

Untitled-1.jpg

Guest Butero
On ‎9‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 5:54 PM, Flsnookman said:

Matthew 22:39  And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

This is actually a huge part of the new covenant. We can not love anyone as we love ourselves until we 1st love ourselves and we can not love ourselves until we realize who we truly are, we are redeemed,forgiven and loved saints and children of God. That is our true identity, not this bag of flesh and bones we are encased in now. The lack of that understanding is why the road is narrow indeed.

I don't think the point here is that we go around loving ourselves.  I think the point Jesus is making is that we naturally do tend to love self, and we therefore do everything possible to preserve our life and pamper ourselves.  We are to love our neighbors just as much.  That is an interesting take you have, but I don't read it the same way. 

Guest Butero
On ‎9‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 4:49 PM, Yowm said:

Right, the way some want to frame it is, "the three greatest commandments are 1 Love God, 2. Love yourself, 3. Love your neighbor.

If I recall correctly, Jesus gave TWO commands, NOT three...the 'love yourself' is just a given as we naturally love ourselves, He doesn't need to command that one.

I see it pretty much the way you and Rusty Angel do.  I answered that comment to me, and just started backing up through the thread and saw what you and R.A. wrote.  I think you can become downright prideful if you aren't careful with that loving self idea.  There is a song out called "Me Too" by Meghan Trainer.  I first heard it on the Tonight Show when she debuted it.  It was funny because at the end, she slipped and fell down, thankfully she wasn't hurt, but the words to the song are full of self love and pride.  It is very catchy, but I don't think it is a good idea to love ourselves to that extent. 

Here are some of the words from the song, as best I can remember them.  You can actually watch the video of it on YouTube from the Tonight Show performance.  Somebody put it up there the next day after it happened.

Whose that sexy thing, I see over there?  That's me, looking in the mirror.

What's that shiny thing hanging round my neck?  That's gold.  Show me some respect.

I thank God everyday.  I woke up feeling this way.  I can't help loving myself, and I don't need nobody else.

CHORUS:  If I were you, I'd want to be me too.  I'd want to be me too.  I'd want to be me too.

If I were you I'd want to be me too.  I'd want to be me too.  I'd want to be me too. 

It goes on like that through the song.  I get the impression that her Mother instilled this in her because she had a weight problem, and was likely teased about it growing up, but this is taking things to the extreme in the other direction.  I think we need to understand we are all flawed human beings in need of a savior, and without Jesus, none of us are good.  We shouldn't be letting people make us feel worthless either and tease us over weight issues and things like that, but there has to be a proper balance.