• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  350
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,511
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

Hey everyone,

I've noticed a few of you that have / are intently studying the Book of Ezekiel. One of many things I find fascinating in Ezekiel is Chapter 1, with his detailed description of the angelic order of Cherubim. If Ezekiel had left out that these were living beings, it would sound exactly like an aircraft with rocket engines, with wings and landing gear. The description of how these Cherubim move are exactly like how today's UFO's are described, defying the laws of physics. 

But that's not why I posted this. Ezekiel gave a very precise and detailed narrative of what he seen, with the language and comparisons of the time. Many times I have tried to get an accurate picture in my mind of how these Cherubim may have looked, with no luck. Pictures I've seen drawn by most assume Ezekiel's description is that of an extraterrestrial non living aircraft. 

Has anyone seen a picture / representation by a Christian interpreting Ezekiel's vision that 'might' accurately represent what a Cherubim looks like? Or are any of you capable of picturing Ezekiel's description in your mind? 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,993
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,691
  • Content Per Day:  11.76
  • Days Won:  226

I do not associate a Cherubim with an alien. Satan could very likely be doing this.

Question: "What are cherubim? Are cherubs angels?"

Answer:
Cherubim/cherubs are angelic beings involved in the worship and praise of God. The cherubim are first mentioned in the Bible in Genesis 3:24, “After He drove the man out, He placed on the east side of the Garden of Eden cherubim and a flaming sword flashing back and forth to guard the way to the tree of life.” Prior to his rebellion, Satan was a cherub (Ezekiel 28:12-15). The tabernacle and temple along with their articles contained many representations of cherubim (Exodus 25:17-22; 26:1, 31; 36:8; 1 Kings 6:23-35; 7:29-36; 8:6-7; 1 Chronicles 28:18; 2 Chronicles 3:7-14; 2 Chronicles 3:10-13; 5:7-8; Hebrews 9:5).

Chapters 1 and 10 of the book of Ezekiel describe the “four living creatures” (Ezekiel 1:5) as the same beings as the cherubim (Ezekiel 10). Each had four faces—that of a man, a lion, an ox, and an eagle (Ezekiel 1:10; also 10:14)—and each had four wings. In their appearance, the cherubim “had the likeness of a man” (Ezekiel 1:5). These cherubim used two of their wings for flying and the other two for covering their bodies (Ezekiel 1:6, 11, 23). Under their wings the cherubim appeared to have the form, or likeness, of a man's hand (Ezekiel 1:8; 10:7-8, 21).

The imagery of Revelation 4:6-9 also seems to be describing cherubim. The cherubim serve the purpose of magnifying the holiness and power of God. This is one of their main responsibilities throughout the Bible. In addition to singing God's praises, they also serve as a visible reminder of the majesty and glory of God and His abiding presence with His people.

https://www.gotquestions.org/cherubim.html

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,993
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,691
  • Content Per Day:  11.76
  • Days Won:  226

This is the closest I could come

Cherub 4 faced.jpg

That's great missmuffet, thank you! I've never seen that one.

• Group:  Non-Trinitarian
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  308
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/14/1944

On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 2:13 AM, Dennis1209 said:

Has anyone seen a picture / representation by a Christian interpreting Ezekiel's vision that 'might' accurately represent what a Cherubim looks like? Or are any of you capable of picturing Ezekiel's description in your mind? 

Greetings Dennis1209,

I suggest that the first step in understanding the Cherubim is to recognise that they are symbolic creatures representing Divine qualities revealed fully in our Lord Jesus Christ, and that each believer needs to incorporate these by following his example.

Thus Jesus reveals kingly qualities as he is the lion of the tribe of Judah. He is a servant revealing the qualities depicted in the ox. He has spiritual sight and wisdom as per the eagle and he was manifested as a man, and this could also indicate his priestly function.

Kind regards Trevor 

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.34
  • Days Won:  20

4 minutes ago, TrevorL said:

I suggest that the first step in understanding the Cherubim is to recognise that they are symbolic creatures...

I hope that you don't mean that they do not exist as described. They do symbolize Divine qualities and we can learn much from them. But they are extremely strange in their appearance, and one could even say *frightful*.

• Group:  Non-Trinitarian
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  308
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/14/1944

Just now, Ezra said:

I hope that you don't mean that they do not exist as described. They do symbolize Divine qualities and we can learn much from them. But they are extremely strange in their appearance, and one could even say *frightful*.

Greetings Ezra,

They are often revealed in the aspect of judgement, but I believe that Ezekiel 1 was a vision and not the real thing. Compare also Isaiah 6 and the vision of the King - Priest surrounded by Seraphim - again a vision and not the real thing, even though Isaiah interacts with the Seraphim. I believe that the Cherubim in Genesis 3 are angels enacting a particular role, but the ultimate teaching of all these Cherubic figures is fulfilled in Christ. The presence of these Cherubim in the Most Holy Place and inwrought on the Vail between the Holy and Most Holy point forward to their incorporation in our Lord Jesus Christ, in whom the fullness of the Divine character was inwrought. 

Kind regards Trevor

Say Hey,

Another interesting biblical subject. There are four 'rankings' of angels that I'm aware of; Angel (messenger), Archangel, Cherubim and Seraphim. I assume each one was created for specific purposes. A whole lot of information is not given about these living beings or when they were created, but it's apparent they are living beings and apparently were created before Adam, as they witnessed the creation. There must be a lot to study about them, as Angelology is normally one of nine subjects studied at seminaries and Bible colleges. 

I get the impression 'Cherubim' tend to God, continually praise Him and are a vehicle / transport which God rides (not that he needs one)? Based on the descriptions of a throne atop of them. 

Lucifer / Satan is described as being exceptionally beautiful, and his description seems to be that of a reptilian being. Knowing that Ezekiel's description is that of a living being, it's difficult to determine if his description is a physical description, symbolic or maybe both. Based on the faces and description, I'm of the opinion Cherubim are very swift and powerful. 

Edited by Dennis1209

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.34
  • Days Won:  20

10 hours ago, TrevorL said:

They are often revealed in the aspect of judgement, but I believe that Ezekiel 1 was a vision and not the real thing.

Since God spoke to Ezekiel during those *visions* it should be evident that these were the real cherubim accompanying the LORD, and the apostle John also saw the real cherubim surrounding God's throne in Heaven.

• Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,145
  • Content Per Day:  4.61
  • Days Won:  327

I hope that you don't mean that they do not exist as described. They do symbolize Divine qualities and we can learn much from them. But they are extremely strange in their appearance, and one could even say *frightful*.                                        Yown

I certainly agree & I think if any Heavenly Angel appeared to us in their true form(As Ezekials description & many others) we would be scared out of our wits!!!!!