• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

Just now, ENOCH2010 said:

Why not go with land mass, say 50 sq. miles = 1 vote

That wold not be fair to the ones voting.  Alaska has a size of 663,300 sq miles with a population of 736,732.  Hawaii has a size of 4,028 sq miles with a population of 1,420,000.  See the problem?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.21
  • Days Won:  58

4 minutes ago, ENOCH2010 said:

Why not go with land mass, say 50 sq. miles = 1 vote

In alaska, there are large areas where you would be hard pressed to find 1 person in 50 sq miles. In new york city, you have several million in 50 sq miles. That seems to go to an extreme. Regardless, it isnt how our country was founded. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

31 minutes ago, Yowm said:

I don't have all that much political savvy. I am inclined to trust the political genius of the Founders who managed to put together the greatest governmental document given to man from man.

But when reading the original purpose of the electoral college, I'm not sure the same reasoning fits for today.

The founding fathers were among the few college-educated men in a time when most people had no more than an 8th grade education (and a college education meant being educated in philosophy and governance and higher reasoning skills in a way that has been lost to us now), if that at all; and news traveled a lot slower. They feared the "ignorant masses" who could be swayed by charlatans and hearsay and wanted the safeguard of the knowledged to balance things out.

Today our leaders are not necessarily higher-educated than society, and the news is almost instantaneous of events.

9 minutes ago, The_Patriot2016 said:

The cities are going to have the advantage anyway. In fact if you go with a popular vote the cites would have even more power than they do now. 

Please excuse me stepping in, but if they counted the votes, or split the Electoral College, that would reflect the voice of the people.  The preamble of the constitution begins with "We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union...".  It does not say The Cities or The States.

Just now, Yowm said:

Weren't we formed as a representative form og government rather than a populace form?

I would not call it representative, but padded.  See the post above yours.

• Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,710
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

1 hour ago, OneLight said:

Please excuse me stepping in, but if they counted the votes, or split the Electoral College, that would reflect the voice of the people.  The preamble of the constitution begins with "We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union...".  It does not say The Cities or The States.

yes, but where are the population centers? look at new york. whos votes gonna count more, the 8.4 million people in new york city, or the 11 million of the rest of the state? sure the rest of the state technically outnumbers the city-but theres no way 100% of them will vote for the same candidate.

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,129
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

3 hours ago, GoldenEagle said:

@other one I suppose you are correct that it's the state that counts in a Democratic Republic. We claim to be the leaders of the free world and democracy in the USA but do not have a true democratic election?

Republic: a state in which supreme power is held by the people and their elected representatives, and which has an elected or nominated president rather than a monarch.

Democracy: a system of government by the whole population or all the eligible members of a state, typically through elected representatives.

I don't understand this whole hick up over population centers. If every vote counted then it would be just as important for a person in North Dakota to vote as it would be in California or Texas right?

God bless,
GE

No it's not right for the needs of a person in small states are different than the needs of the city and it isn't right for the people of the city to direct my life.  Especially now that the federal government has taken to interview our states workings.

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.21
  • Days Won:  58

6 hours ago, nebula said:

But when reading the original purpose of the electoral college, I'm not sure the same reasoning fits for today.

The founding fathers were among the few college-educated men in a time when most people had no more than an 8th grade education (and a college education meant being educated in philosophy and governance and higher reasoning skills in a way that has been lost to us now), if that at all; and news traveled a lot slower. They feared the "ignorant masses" who could be swayed by charlatans and hearsay and wanted the safeguard of the knowledged to balance things out.

Today our leaders are not necessarily higher-educated than society, and the news is almost instantaneous of events.

Are the masses more or less ignorant today? 

Guest shiloh357

if every state had equal population numbers and no major population centers, the electoral college would not be needed.  But as it stands, the Eastern  and mid-western states alone would determine who our president is before everyone on the west coast got to the polls.