LadyKay

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

I have always loved imagining what the universe offers, the beauty of His creation.  Because of this, I also enjoy science fiction.  However, Star Wars is new age garbage, and Star Trek is humanist in nature, rejecting any God.  Still, the special affects is amazing, as I would love to venture into the stars where I could view His creation in its natural beauty. 

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.93
  • Days Won:  3

1 hour ago, Jaydog1976 said:

I like the Star Wars movies but will in no way compare it to my Christian walk. It's a movie and was created to entertain nothing more. 

I'm just saying I can see similarities in how the Jedi live by the Jedi Code and how Christians live by the Bible. I don't know why but I just pick up on things like that.   And I just wonder if others thought this way as well. It seems that some do and some don't. It is all okay I guess. 

1 minute ago, OneLight said:

Star Wars is new age garbage, and Star Trek is humanist in nature, rejecting any God.

This is very interesting to see how people see things differently.  I see Star Wars and can compare it to being a Christian, and you see it as the New Age movement. I also have never felt that Star Trek was rejecting God. But yet you do. Fascinating don't you think? 

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

24 minutes ago, LadyKay said:

This is very interesting to see how people see things differently.  I see Star Wars and can compare it to being a Christian, and you see it as the New Age movement. I also have never felt that Star Trek was rejecting God. But yet you do. Fascinating don't you think? 

Kirk, all the way through every captain of the Enterprise, always takes a stance against God and religion.  They state such in their episodes.  I wish I had copies where I could show you specifically, but after about 46 years of watching Star Trek, I would venture to say I heard this over and over.

Star Wars reminds me of Pantheism, which is where new age takes its foundation.  Pantheism is the belief that all of reality is identical with divinity, or that everything composes an all-encompassing, immanent god. Pantheists thus do not believe in a distinct personal or anthropomorphic god.

2 hours ago, OneLight said:

I wish I had copies where I could show you specifically, but after about 46 years of watching Star Trek, I would venture to say I heard this over and over.

No need to. As I most likely seen them all ready and by the way we are talking here I most likely would get a different message out of them then you did. I seem to recall "Worf" who was a Klingon keeping to the old spiritual rituals of his people. Other characters did as well. I do not recall it being looked down upon when they did so.  Others who did not share their believes simply respected them let them be. That is what I have gotten out of Star Trek. A sense of respect for people who are different and have different traditions that they follow. But anyway. My OP is not about Star Trek. My OP was about Star Wars, well manly Jedis. 

But I get it. We see it differently. Neither is right and neither is wrong. We just see it in a different way. 

Edited by LadyKay

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  44

17 hours ago, nebula said:

I'm into Sci Fi, so yes I like Star Wars.

After a fashion, but it is not exactly Biblical. God never condemns emotions. God Himself had a few emotional outbursts - in both Old and New Testaments. 

But of course, not all emotions are negative - being moved by compassion often involves emotions overshooting reason.

But actually, burying emotions is more in line with New Age teaching - Nirvana and all that.

Now, you could use the Jedi stuff as a pseudo-example to help guide you, I think. It is not emotions that you are putting down or burying - it is the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life that you are crucifying. So it's different. But I can appreciate applying the analogy!

+1 to this.

I'm a Star Wars and Star Trek fan too :) 

God bless,
GE

Guest shiloh357
2 minutes ago, Yowm said:

Humanism doesn't necessarily reject God, it just puts man at the center.

New Age, same thing (you are a  god but only need to come into  awareness of that fact etc.)

Yes, humanism pretty much is a rejection of God.  

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  626
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  0

6 hours ago, OneLight said:

I have always loved imagining what the universe offers, the beauty of His creation.  Because of this, I also enjoy science fiction.  However, Star Wars is new age garbage, and Star Trek is humanist in nature, rejecting any God.  Still, the special affects is amazing, as I would love to venture into the stars where I could view His creation in its natural beauty. 

I guess it all depends on how you look at the Star Wars movies. I'm strong enough in my faith that the force doesn't cause me to stumble. Now if the movies cause you to feel that it threatens your faith by all means don't watch them.

Personally I like the movies and it is all a matter of personal preference and what you feel you can or cannot watch.

The movies were meant to entertain and that's all. I again by no means correlate my Christian walk with the movies.

Am I looking forward to the Rogue One film coming out this week? Oh Yeah!

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  253
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  05/11/1963

On Tuesday, December 13, 2016 at 1:50 PM, LadyKay said:

Are there any Star War fans here? If so do you ever feel like your Christian walk is kind of like being a Jedi? I do a bit. But have not really wanted to say anything on here because some people get bent out of shape about stuff. But anyway Jedi's try to not allow themselves to be controlled by their emotions. They teach that hate and fear is the path to the Dark Side.  They calm their emotions by focusing on the Force. They do not seek revenge on others.  I try to live my life this way. Though I fall short of the part of not allowing your emotions to control you.  

If no one agrees with me I understand. If you think I am somehow wrong for having such a interest in Star Wars I understand that too.   I just wan to know if any other Christians feel as I do. Like we are Jedi! :vader:

Sure, you could draw that analogy, the light saber is the word of God. We war against the powers of darkness in high places. Jesus said if you had faith the size of a mustard seed you can move mountains. I thought of that when Luke couldn't get his fighter out of the swamp.  Yoda sets it in front of him and Luke says I don't believe it, God a relies that is why you failed.

You run into an occasional issue, Yoda says life creates the force, actually God create life. Religious inferences abound, like when Luke appears before Java the Hut. If you ever noticed he is wearing a priests cassok. It doesn't have the white collar yet, he is not quite a Jedi yet.

Star Wars is fine, nothing wrong with letting your imagination run wild. Disney has done this kind of mythical adventure for decades. Harry Potter is mostly mythology.

I'll never forget my wife told the school that our oldest daughter could not read Harry Potter because it was Satanic. I told her why not just read one of the books. She loved it, anytime another book comes out she preorders it and the movies are a big event for her.

Just don't try to base some kind of theology on it.

• Followers:  53
  • Topic Count:  88
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  4,064
  • Content Per Day:  1.36
  • Days Won:  8

3 hours ago, LadyKay said:

No need to. As I most likely seen them all ready and by the way we are talking here I most likely would get a different message out of them then you did. I seem to recall "Worf" who was a Klingon keeping to the old spiritual rituals of his people. Other characters did as well. I do not recall it being looked down upon when they did so.  Others who did not share their believes simply respected them let them be. That is what I have gotten out of Star Trek. A sense of respect for people who are different and have different traditions that they follow. But anyway. My OP is not about Star Trek. My OP was about Star Wars, well manly Jedis. 

But I get it. We see it differently. Neither is right and neither is wrong. We just see it in a different way. 

Never really watched star wars but I Love Star Trek I have all the Movies