IGNORED

Can a good christian also be a politician?

opportunitykenny

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,710
  • Content Per Day:  2.45
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

Just now, opportunitykenny said:

Ok, have you seen one you can tell please?

whether I have seen one or not seen one is irrelevant, the question isnt "are there any" the question was "is it possible for there to be one" and whether you see one or not, doesnt necessarily equate to it being possible or not. I  can of course list examples throughout history, however, no matter who is brought up someone will question whether that person was or was not, and quite frankly its not our job to discuss anothers salvation. Even if there is zero christian candidates in office right now, doesnt mean that it is not possible for one to be a christian and a politician, all it means is there arnt currently any (which Im not saying there isnt any, just making a point)

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  388
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/03/2003

3 hours ago, opportunitykenny said:

I have not seen a good christian in this contemporary time who having gone into politics remains a good christian and commands respects he should have as a christian. 

I have seen 2. One of our church members is a state senator and regularly gives testimonies on his faith and how he fels situastions should be handled. Our sheriff is also a very godly Christian man.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  149
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Birthday:  05/16/1980

11 minutes ago, The_Patriot2016 said:

just because you have not seen it doesnt mean its not possible.

Hope you are not just optimistic on impossibility? Can you live in a glass house and be ready to face people who will throw stones to your house? Do you put on white garment and stand on the way of people looking for people to shower with pure palmoil?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,710
  • Content Per Day:  2.45
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

4 minutes ago, opportunitykenny said:

Hope you are not just optimistic on impossibility? Can you live in a glass house and be ready to face people who will throw stones to your house? Do you put on white garment and stand on the way of people looking for people to shower with pure palmoil?

its more of a reality. to suggest that its impossible, means that pretty much there is no hope and no reason to get involved politically, because nothing we do can or will make a difference. Fact is, history is full of christians in leadership-making a difference. The revolutionary war, was already brought up, where christians stood up and fought off an oppressive regime, and led with Godly principles. There are far more modern examples. I think there are christians, right now, in congress, though they are few and far between. 

In fact, in order for you to "prove" that you cannot be a christian and a politician at the same time, your going to need some stronger evidence then "you dont see any" your going to need scriptural support to back your claim, which to date, you have not provided any.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  288
  • Content Per Day:  0.11

I think they can and some do

Guest BacKaran

Yes, I knew one named Tim Penny who ran in MN. He quit after not taking a salary as his said DC was too corrupt for him to get anything done.

What a shame.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Content Count:  508
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Birthday:  03/09/1985

Haven't read the whole thread, I was deeply involved in a political party that had many Christians in it (the Democratic Unionist Party/DUP), when I lived in Northern Ireland. (I would still be a member of the Party but emigrated to the US). I am still in contact with many of my friends from the party, who are very good Christians. That said in politics there is a lot of temptations, particularly the higher up you go. I personally believe we need more Christians in politics, as I see it as being salt and light in the world.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  149
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Birthday:  05/16/1980

2Tim. 2:4 

No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.

John 6:15 

When Jesus therefore perceived that they would come and take him by force, to make him a king, he departed again into a mountain himself alone.

Politics is good, only that it has been hijacked and controlled by the system that is not making it possible for you to do it and serve God acceptably in terms of time you have for God; how you want to cope with the ungodly political agenda; how you want to handle the deception and evil activities involved; etc.

Sincerely, politics is a good way to entangle yourself.