• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  68
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/28/1979

Jesus gave a lot of instructions on how to live a moral life. So what are we supposed to do with his instructions? Write everything down and then do it?

Jesus talked about giving to the poor and about how we are to give to the poor. So are we supposed to give to the poor and just not tell anybody about it? I mean Jesus asked his disciples why do you call me Lord Lord and not do anything that I say. 

So going to heaven is all about obeying Jesus? Right?

Guest Judas Machabeus
26 minutes ago, worthlessness1979 said:

I'm not sure how someone that is disobedient to Jesus can enter heaven. So I think obedience plays a role in salvation along with faith. This is why I have trouble with a faith alone model. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,247
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

I do a lot of underlining in my Bible, or highlighting.  Some things I learned the hard way that God's way is better so the Holy Spirit impressed them on me after the fact.  Some things seem emphasized to me and I underline them, then God gives me an opportunity to practice them during the following week.  That was the most common way I learned.  

However long ago I gave expensive clothes that I treasured to friends, and they turned against me.  They said that they didn't like the colors and had sold them.  Then they became hostile.  When I talked to a counselor he said it is predictable that when people can't repay and don't receive things as from the Lord, that they will turn against you.  So that is why we see so much entitlement fraud.  That is the way they save face and keep their dignity.  It is better to let people earn their benefits somehow.  I often tell people that they can pass the favor along someday when they are able and find someone who can use some help.  That is what an aunt said to me after we lost everything in a fire, no insurance.  But most often I give through a 3rd party and try to give anonymously.  At one time I didn't even keep record of my tithes.  

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,992
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,690
  • Content Per Day:  11.78
  • Days Won:  226

To truly follow Christ means He has become everything to us. Everyone follows something: friends, popular culture, family, selfish desires, or God. We can only follow one thing at a time (Matthew 6:24). God states we are to have no other gods before Him (Exodus 20:3; Deuteronomy 5:7; Mark 12:30). To truly follow Christ means we do not follow anything else. Jesus said in Luke 9:23, "Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me." There is no such thing as a "halfway disciple." As the disciples demonstrated, no one can follow Christ by the strength of his own willpower. The Pharisees were good examples of those who were trying to obey God in their own strength. Their self-effort led only to arrogance and distortion of the whole purpose of God's Law (Luke 11:39; Matthew 23:24).

Jesus gave His disciples the secret to faithfully following Him, but they did not recognize it at the time. He said, "The Spirit gives life; the flesh counts for nothing (John 6:63). And "This is why I told you that no one can come to me unless the Father has enabled them” (verse 65). The disciples had walked with Jesus for three years, learning, observing, and participating in His miracles. Yet, even they could not follow Him faithfully in their own strength. They needed a Helper.

Jesus promised many times that, once He had ascended to the Father, He would send a "Helper" to them—the Holy Spirit (John 14:26; 15:26). In fact, He told them that it was for their good that He was going away so that the Holy Spirit could come (John 16:7). The Holy Spirit indwells the heart of every believer (Galatians 2:20; Romans 8:16; Hebrews 13:5; Matthew 28:20). Jesus warned His followers that they were not to begin testifying of Him "until you have been clothed with power from on high" (Luke 24:49; Acts 1:4). When the Holy Spirit came upon those first believers at Pentecost, they suddenly had all the power they needed to follow Christ, even to the death, if needed (Acts 2:1–4; 4:31; 7:59-60).

Following Jesus means striving to be like Him. He always obeyed His Father, so that's what we strive to do (John 8:29; 15:10). To truly follow Christ means to make Him the Boss. That's what it means to make Jesus Lord of our lives (Romans 10:9; 1 Corinthians 12:3; 2 Corinthians 4:5). Every decision and dream is filtered through His Word with the goal of glorifying Him in everything (1 Corinthians 10:31). We are not saved by the things we do for Christ (Ephesians 2:8–9) but by what He has done for us. Because of His grace, we want to please Him in everything. All this is accomplished as we allow the Holy Spirit to have complete control of every area of our lives (Ephesians 5:18). He explains the Scriptures (1 Corinthians 2:14), empowers us with spiritual gifts (1 Corinthians 12:4-11), comforts us (John 14:16), and guides us (John 14:26). To follow Christ means we apply the truths we learn from His Word and live as if Jesus walked beside us in person.

https://www.gotquestions.org/follow-Christ.html

• Followers:  39
  • Topic Count:  101
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,673
  • Content Per Day:  1.31
  • Days Won:  67

6 hours ago, worthlessness1979 said:

Jesus gave a lot of instructions on how to live a moral life. So what are we supposed to do with his instructions? Write everything down and then do it?

Jesus talked about giving to the poor and about how we are to give to the poor. So are we supposed to give to the poor and just not tell anybody about it? I mean Jesus asked his disciples why do you call me Lord Lord and not do anything that I say. 

Matthew 10:34 “Do not think that I came to bring peace on earth. I did not come to bring peace but a sword. 35 For I have come to ‘set a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law’; 36 and ‘a man’s enemies will be those of his own household.’ 37 He who loves father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me. And he who loves son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me. 38 And he who does not take his cross and follow after Me is not worthy of Me. 39 He who finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for My sake will find it.

Matthew 16:24 Then Jesus said to His disciples, “If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me. 25 For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it.

Matthew 19:28 So Jesus said to them, “Assuredly I say to you, that in the regeneration, when the Son of Man sits on the throne of His glory, you who have followed Me will also sit on twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel. 29 And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or wife or children or lands, for My name’s sake, shall receive a hundredfold, and inherit eternal life. 30 But many who are first will be last, and the last first.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  68
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  12/28/1979

I guess you're right. I can't obey Christ in My Own Strength. It would probably make me arrogant. 

With the Holy Spirit helping me obey Christ, he will also keep me humble. 

• Followers:  65
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Content Count:  3,568
  • Content Per Day:  1.38
  • Days Won:  7

15 hours ago, missmuffet said:

To truly follow Christ means He has become everything to us. Everyone follows something: friends, popular culture, family, selfish desires, or God. We can only follow one thing at a time (Matthew 6:24). God states we are to have no other gods before Him (Exodus 20:3; Deuteronomy 5:7; Mark 12:30). To truly follow Christ means we do not follow anything else. Jesus said in Luke 9:23, "Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me." There is no such thing as a "halfway disciple." As the disciples demonstrated, no one can follow Christ by the strength of his own willpower. The Pharisees were good examples of those who were trying to obey God in their own strength. Their self-effort led only to arrogance and distortion of the whole purpose of God's Law (Luke 11:39; Matthew 23:24).

Jesus gave His disciples the secret to faithfully following Him, but they did not recognize it at the time. He said, "The Spirit gives life; the flesh counts for nothing (John 6:63). And "This is why I told you that no one can come to me unless the Father has enabled them” (verse 65). The disciples had walked with Jesus for three years, learning, observing, and participating in His miracles. Yet, even they could not follow Him faithfully in their own strength. They needed a Helper.

Jesus promised many times that, once He had ascended to the Father, He would send a "Helper" to them—the Holy Spirit (John 14:26; 15:26). In fact, He told them that it was for their good that He was going away so that the Holy Spirit could come (John 16:7). The Holy Spirit indwells the heart of every believer (Galatians 2:20; Romans 8:16; Hebrews 13:5; Matthew 28:20). Jesus warned His followers that they were not to begin testifying of Him "until you have been clothed with power from on high" (Luke 24:49; Acts 1:4). When the Holy Spirit came upon those first believers at Pentecost, they suddenly had all the power they needed to follow Christ, even to the death, if needed (Acts 2:1–4; 4:31; 7:59-60).

Following Jesus means striving to be like Him. He always obeyed His Father, so that's what we strive to do (John 8:29; 15:10). To truly follow Christ means to make Him the Boss. That's what it means to make Jesus Lord of our lives (Romans 10:9; 1 Corinthians 12:3; 2 Corinthians 4:5). Every decision and dream is filtered through His Word with the goal of glorifying Him in everything (1 Corinthians 10:31). We are not saved by the things we do for Christ (Ephesians 2:8–9) but by what He has done for us. Because of His grace, we want to please Him in everything. All this is accomplished as we allow the Holy Spirit to have complete control of every area of our lives (Ephesians 5:18). He explains the Scriptures (1 Corinthians 2:14), empowers us with spiritual gifts (1 Corinthians 12:4-11), comforts us (John 14:16), and guides us (John 14:26). To follow Christ means we apply the truths we learn from His Word and live as if Jesus walked beside us in person.

https://www.gotquestions.org/follow-Christ.html

Thanks for your answer Missmuffet; you have put some much into your answer. Blesssings.

• Followers:  65
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Content Count:  3,568
  • Content Per Day:  1.38
  • Days Won:  7

9 hours ago, wingnut- said:

Matthew 10:34 “Do not think that I came to bring peace on earth. I did not come to bring peace but a sword. 35 For I have come to ‘set a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law’; 36 and ‘a man’s enemies will be those of his own household.’ 37 He who loves father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me. And he who loves son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me. 38 And he who does not take his cross and follow after Me is not worthy of Me. 39 He who finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for My sake will find it.

Matthew 16:24 Then Jesus said to His disciples, “If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me. 25 For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it.

Matthew 19:28 So Jesus said to them, “Assuredly I say to you, that in the regeneration, when the Son of Man sits on the throne of His glory, you who have followed Me will also sit on twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel. 29 And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or wife or children or lands, for My name’s sake, shall receive a hundredfold, and inherit eternal life. 30 But many who are first will be last, and the last first.

Interesting to read your answer Wing. I was just talking to my father in law about something similar to this, this morning. He was telling me of a man who literally left his wife to follow Jesus. My father in law tried to talk to him about missionary couples who go out and minister as a couple, leaving their extended family. It would be good to hear your thoughts on this.

• Followers:  39
  • Topic Count:  101
  • Content Count:  7,673
  • Content Per Day:  1.31
  • Days Won:  67

5 hours ago, Annette said:

Interesting to read your answer Wing. I was just talking to my father in law about something similar to this, this morning. He was telling me of a man who literally left his wife to follow Jesus. My father in law tried to talk to him about missionary couples who go out and minister as a couple, leaving their extended family. It would be good to hear your thoughts on this.

Hello Annette,

Not sure what part you would like to hear my thoughts on, so I'll try and address the three possibilities that come to mind based on your reply.  If I don't cover what you were hoping for just let me know more specifically and I will do my best.  First I'll address the part regarding missionary couples.

I believe this is a position one should not choose for themselves, missionary work is a calling.  I also would say in the case of a missionary couple, both should be called of God for this, not one spouse following the other.  I feel this is important, and relates to what scripture teaches in regards to division, or double mindedness.  If both are not called of God the one who is called will find their attention can be divided, between their calling and the spouse whose heart is not really in this.  Missionary work requires dedication and selflessness, it is not something most of us are cut out for.  I have witnessed this very thing happen, man cannot serve two masters.

In regards to a man leaving his wife or a wife leaving her husband, I would point to Paul's teachings in regards to marriage.  Paul tells us straight out that it is better for a person to remain single if it is possible for them to control their sexual impulses.  Not an easy thing to do for anyone by my observations, so again, I don't think this is an avenue one should simply choose for themselves.  I think those who fall under that umbrella know who they are and it is a calling in its own regard.  Marriage is very complex, as there are so many factors scripture speaks to on the topic.  Being equally yoked is critical, the same division that I mentioned earlier will become an issue if this is not the case.  Man cannot serve two masters.  I'm not going to get to into detail here, but if you are interested you can read my testimony on said section of the forum titled "testimony of a nut".  Just reference for some of my personal experience with marriage, not sure how much detail I go into as I posted that long ago, but do know that I speak about it there.

I will share a bit about my personal experience here just to give you an example.  I was married, and at the time I did believe we were equally yoked, but the simple truth is neither of us were dedicated to God.  There came a point in the marriage that I made a conscious decision that if this did not change, it would not work out.  So I turned to Jesus and asked Him to help me find my way, began living for Jesus instead of myself, which according to my ex was what she wanted me to do.  However this was not the case either, the more God cleaned me up, the more she despised me.  If she was watching tv and I sat in the room with her and started reading my bible she would throw things at me and complain that the light was a bother to her.  I cleared the house of drugs, booze, cigarettes, and she would bring them back in and berate me for doing so.

When I got up and got myself and our daughter ready for church she would throw a fit upon our return.  Then suddenly she started getting up and going to church too, and I thought, hey, this is starting to work...... but no.  She would complain the entire way there about going, she would complain through the service, she would complain going home.  Living for God became the primary source of disruption and argument.  The truth is, she didn't want me to change from who I had been before, she enjoyed feeling that she was more righteous and being able to constantly use it against me.  I was divided.  I knew long before she filed for divorce that the marriage was over, but I never would have left her.

Lastly I will discuss the scriptures themselves that I posted and why I felt led to post them in the first place.  To me, what they all speak to in the simplest terms, using the most extreme examples is this...... put God first in everything you do.  Above your spouse, parents, children, and any other relatives.  Above material things, above desires of the heart and the flesh.  If God is not first, then we are not right.  Sorry for being so long winded and hope I didn't derail the thread.

God bless

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  49
  • Content Count:  433
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Birthday:  04/24/1990

John 14:34-35

A new commandment I give unto you, that ye love one another. By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if he have love one to another.

I think following Jesus means loving people who don't deserve it.