• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  1,273
  • Content Per Day:  0.36
  • Days Won:  0

49 minutes ago, Running Gator said:

I was in the Corps when this episode aired and I can tell you that sleeping with a married person was not some shocking new thing that people did not approve of.   We had such "rules" as "after 50 miles nobody is married" and "what happens on deployment, stays on deployment".  

SAY WHAAAAAAAAAAT!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

52 minutes ago, Running Gator said:

I think that shows like Friends were mirroring the times and not ushering in some new lack of morals. 

I was in the Corps when this episode aired and I can tell you that sleeping with a married person was not some shocking new thing that people did not approve of.   We had such "rules" as "after 50 miles nobody is married" and "what happens on deployment, stays on deployment".  

The media was not softening the resistance, they were mirroring the times. 

Yes, such is the way of the world, head down and rushing into damnation.

• Topic Count:  151
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  3,149
  • Content Per Day:  1.05

entertainment pure and simple is like the frog in the cold water that gradually heats up. and taints our very marrow imo.   a lot of  tv "entertainment" desensitises  us to back door immorality. the fruit is showing in society me thinks. thinking becomes double edged. i stay away from it .

Guest shiloh357
On 6/7/2017 at 4:03 PM, Davida said:

It's true it can gradually desensitize people.  We have not had TV for 10yrs , I could not watch it anymore, it was abhorrent & repulsive to my soul and I think actually it was the Holy Spirit letting me know it was corruptive & disdainful.

The entertainment industry plays on people's emotions a lot, which is why immorality is being normalized in our society.    And there is an agenda behind the entertainment industry.   They have become quite political.  

People come home from a hard day at work and they just want to sit on the couch and relax and watch TV.  That's when they are most receptive to the messages that the entertainment industry pushes.  They use entertainment to push social/political messages all of the time.  And the Left has become expert in playing off of people's emotions. 

Emotional arguments are powerful, and when tied to entertainment, almost insurmountable because emotions are a powerful thing.  The arguments on the Left in support of Muslim refugees, illegal aliens, abortion, LGBT,  transgender bathrooms, etc.  are emotionally based.

• Group:  Royal Member *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  10,596
  • Content Per Day:  3.68
  • Days Won:  25

17 minutes ago, existential mabel said:

entertainment pure and simple is like the frog in the cold water that gradually heats up. and taints our very marrow imo.   a lot of  tv "entertainment" desensitises  us to back door immorality. the fruit is showing in society me thinks. thinking becomes double edged. i stay away from it .

I say that entertainment mirrors what is already taking place

• Group:  Royal Member *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  10,596
  • Content Per Day:  3.68
  • Days Won:  25

47 minutes ago, creativemechanic said:

SAY WHAAAAAAAAAAT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep.  And on the reverse side of that from the units that did not deploy you would have guys that knew to hit the E-Club the weekend after the other unit left as there would be wives there looking for some company for the next 6 months. 

At the end of our last deployment the unit chaplain took us all aside for our end of deployment brief and his message was not to feel obligated to tell your spouse if something happened while deployed and then he flew back to the states and told the wives not to ask questions they did not want answers to. 

This was the mid 90s.

• Topic Count:  701
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,511
  • Content Per Day:  1.34
  • Birthday:  02/18/1955

On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 1:04 PM, creativemechanic said:

Isn't it amazing how series sneak in certain types  of immorality and we don't easliy notice.

Was watching Friends.  In it Chandler meets a woman  in a chat room and starts to get romantically attached. Eventually  he learns she's  married but when they meet face to face he learns it's Ross' ex  who he really liked and dashed in and kisses her. Next episode we learn she plans to divorce her cheating husband and they have in the mean time hooked up. Everyone's ok with it (except Joey  who hates her)but it's never pointed out that he's dating and implied sleeping with A MARRIED WOMAN!

Just shows how the media gradually softens our  resistance  to certain things  by gradual infiltration 

For example, "Modern Family."

• Topic Count:  701
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,511
  • Content Per Day:  1.34
  • Birthday:  02/18/1955

52 minutes ago, Running Gator said:

Yep.  And on the reverse side of that from the units that did not deploy you would have guys that knew to hit the E-Club the weekend after the other unit left as there would be wives there looking for some company for the next 6 months. 

At the end of our last deployment the unit chaplain took us all aside for our end of deployment brief and his message was not to feel obligated to tell your spouse if something happened while deployed and then he flew back to the states and told the wives not to ask questions they did not want answers to. 

This was the mid 90s.

"Ask me no questions I’ll tell you no lies" is a phrase attributed to Irish playwright Oliver Goldsmith (1728-1774) that was later popularized by several song groups.

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,923
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  03/22/1953

2 hours ago, Running Gator said:

I think that shows like Friends were mirroring the times and not ushering in some new lack of morals. 

I agree.  If scripture tells us anything, it points out that mankind's bent is toward immorality.  It's as old as mankind itself, and it points out why we need a Savior.

"In the days of Noah" there was no TV.

Blessings,

-Ed

Guest shiloh357
8 minutes ago, Davida said:

Yes, I agree. I'd also observe however subtly various sin & every kind of unethical, corrupt moral behavior and low character was made to look fun, alluring & inviting.

Yes, parents are made to look like hapless, naive baffoons, then there is sex without consequence, adultery was sanitized, sex before marriage was normalized and even justified.   Truth becomes relative, biblical principles for godly living are mocked and denigrated and anyone with the temerity to live a biblical life was made to look stupid or cruel.   There is an agenda in the media and entertainment establishment to shape the culture more and more.