KPaulG

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  597
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,106
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

My wife and I were part of 4 couples in college that pretty much hung out with each other all the time.

We all 4 couples were married in 1970 and all 4 are still married with two kids each.    47 years.    One of the couples have been long lasting friends that we go to church at the same place and eat out almost every Friday night and Sunday after church...     Mom and Dad were married for 54 years after both of their first marriages ended in the death of their spouse.   My Sister and Brother were married for over 40 years, my sister is a newly widowed lady.

My grand parents were married so long we don't remember how long.

It seems to run in the family.   Those with short marriages that I personally know, tend to come from families with short marriages.

about 25 years ago we had a person go to work with us at Xerox Service that was right out of high school....   got married right after he started and went through two marriages in three years....      Several of us had been married a while so we told him he couldn't get married again until we found him a wife....   Took us about a year but finally someone showed up we considered well for him.....   They just had their 15th anniversary.

People tend to look for spouses that are exciting and seem to be good to live with.

but the best spouses are those that you just can't live without...   and that's the major difference in my personal view.   Some day my wife may die before me and I can't fathom how I can get by without her.

• This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  97
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0

The Christian divorce rate is among the highest it has ever been. As it stands now, last Barna study showed that born-again evangelical Christians divorced at a rate of 33%. That's basically 1 in 3 marriages Christian marriages end in divorce. The reasons why? Well, that's a topic for another thread.

I've known Christian couples that were married for 30+ years and ended up divorcing. There is no guarantee. Divorce is horrible. It is like a death of a spouse and I just went through one last year and I am still in pain and suffering over it. It takes years to recover and even then, one is never 100%. That's why GOD HATES DIVORCE but people still chose it.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  496
  • Content Per Day:  0.14

On 9/5/2017 at 9:24 AM, KPaulG said:

My parents were married for 36 years today!!

Congrats! My parents are married for 42 years. They celebrated their anniversary on 2nd September. 

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  76
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,261
  • Content Per Day:  0.24

Congrats KPaulG, not only towards your parents, but a number here that have mentioned their many years in marriage as well! :)

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  32
  • Topic Count:  476
  • Topics Per Day:  0.17
  • Content Count:  6,559
  • Content Per Day:  2.28
  • Days Won:  9

That's Great KPaulG. They are special in this day and age.