• Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,396
  • Content Per Day:  0.90
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  12/26/1963

5 hours ago, siegi91 said:

I am not acquainted with Science education in North America. But is it really true?

It's pretty bad these days.  Back in the day, you had to know The Scientific Method to pass the class.

Is what really true?

Do they teach at 5th grade that the earth is flat, not spinning and that the sun rotates around it? 

Define Teach...?

They "Indoctrinate" from Kindergarten that the Earth: is a Sphere, Spinning, and Rotating around the Sun...among Numerous other Nonsensical Buffooneries. 

None of which are Scientific Topics.

regards

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  3,802
  • Content Per Day:  1.19
  • Days Won:  0

4 hours ago, Enoch2021 said:

It's pretty bad these days.  Back in the day, you had to know The Scientific Method to pass the class.

Is what really true?

Define Teach...?

They "Indoctrinate" from Kindergarten that the Earth: is a Sphere, Spinning, and Rotating around the Sun...among Numerous other Nonsensical Buffooneries. 

None of which are Scientific Topics.

regards

I am not sure I understood correctly. Maybe my English is not good enough in this case.

Are you saying that earth is flat and the sun (and the rest of the Universe) revolves about it? And that to teach (to kids) that the earth is a sphere rotating around the sun is nonsensical buffooneries (and should therefore not be done)?

I am not an expert in Christianity, but it surprises me a bit that this is what American Christian holds for true today. This must be a North American thing, since my Christian friend Hilde (a German, too) thinks that the earth is a spinning spheroid orbiting around the sun. Like me.

:) siegi :)

• Group:  Royal Member

18 hours ago, siegi91 said:

1.)  Are you saying that earth is flat and the sun (and the rest of the Universe) revolves about it?

2.)  And that to teach (to kids) that the earth is a sphere rotating around the sun is nonsensical buffooneries (and should therefore not be done)?

1.) I'm saying that the Earth is: Flat/Non-Spinning/Domed (Enclosed)/Geocentric and there is no 'Universe' as it's portrayed.

2.)  Well "Nonsensical Buffoneries" is a 'reserved' assessment. 

You also forgot to define "Teach".

I am not an expert in Christianity, but it surprises me a bit that this is what American Christian holds for true today.

Stereotype Fallacy on Two Levels.

This must be a North American thing

No, it's a Logical Consistency thing.

since my Christian friend Hilde (a German, too) thinks that the earth is a spinning spheroid orbiting around the sun. Like me.

Well many people "think" many strange things.  Just because people "think" something, doesn't make it true.

regards

32 minutes ago, Enoch2021 said:

1.) I'm saying that the Earth is: Flat/Non-Spinning/Domed (Enclosed)/Geocentric and there is no 'Universe' as it's portrayed.

2.)  Well "Nonsensical Buffoneries" is a 'reserved' assessment. 

You also forgot to define "Teach".

Stereotype Fallacy on Two Levels.

No, it's a Logical Consistency thing.

Well many people "think" many strange things.  Just because people "think" something, doesn't make it true.

regards

Sometimes I have the feeling you are just pulling our legs :)

16 minutes ago, siegi91 said:

Sometimes I have the feeling you are just pulling our legs 

So arguments/positions based on Memes ?  Very Compelling.

regards

1 minute ago, Enoch2021 said:

So arguments/positions based on Memes ?  Very Compelling.

regards

I was not trying to be compelling, obviously. Do you think we round earthers need to? :)

12 minutes ago, siegi91 said:

I was not trying to be compelling, obviously. Do you think we round earthers need to?

Yes, you (Everyone) need to be able to 'Cogently' provide SUPPORT for your 'beliefs', or else... your 'beliefs' are Baseless (aka: Fairytales).

ps.  Round and Flat aren't Mutually Exclusive.  Pizzas are Round and Flat.  LP's are Round...and Flat.

regards

• Followers:  24
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,459
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  2

19 hours ago, siegi91 said:

I am not sure I understood correctly. Maybe my English is not good enough in this case.

Are you saying that earth is flat and the sun (and the rest of the Universe) revolves about it? And that to teach (to kids) that the earth is a sphere rotating around the sun is nonsensical buffooneries (and should therefore not be done)?

I am not an expert in Christianity, but it surprises me a bit that this is what American Christian holds for true today. This must be a North American thing, since my Christian friend Hilde (a German, too) thinks that the earth is a spinning spheroid orbiting around the sun. Like me.

:) siegi :)

From my observations, the majority of Christians in the U.S. think that the earth is sphere like and that the usual orbital descriptions of the various bodies in the solar system is fine.

The main issue boils down to the use of a particular Hebrew word used in the Old Testament to describe the earth. Most see that word as having a range of meaning and indeed potentially referred to a spherical earth thousands of years ago.  A minority of Christians think that only one possible meaning (referring to a flat shape only) is allowed for this word.   It is my understanding that this is why there are some who hold to the OT as teaching a flat earth and take that as a matter of fact.  As far as I can tell, in their view, the matter is not open for debate.  Thus, in their view, all so-called proof of the earth being spherical involves some degree of incompetence or deception.  

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, GandalfTheWise said:

From my observations, the majority of Christians in the U.S. think that the earth is sphere like and that the usual orbital descriptions of the various bodies in the solar system is fine.

The main issue boils down to the use of a particular Hebrew word used in the Old Testament to describe the earth. Most see that word as having a range of meaning and indeed potentially referred to a spherical earth thousands of years ago.  A minority of Christians think that only one possible meaning (referring to a flat shape only) is allowed for this word.   It is my understanding that this is why there are some who hold to the OT as teaching a flat earth and take that as a matter of fact.  As far as I can tell, in their view, the matter is not open for debate.  Thus, in their view, all so-called proof of the earth being spherical involves some degree of incompetence or deception.  

Well, I feel better. 

Also for Christianity. I am going to be frank with you: if Christianity in general really insisted in an over literal interpretation, leading to flat earths or moons emitting their own light, then Christianity would be extinct in one generation. For obvious reasons. 

So, It is good that this view is held only by an irrelevant percentage of the Christian population.

Edited by siegi91

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.11
  • Days Won:  78

7 hours ago, Enoch2021 said:

Yes, you (Everyone) need to be able to 'Cogently' provide SUPPORT for your 'beliefs', or else... your 'beliefs' are Baseless (aka: Fairytales).

ps.  Round and Flat aren't Mutually Exclusive.  Pizzas are Round and Flat.  LP's are Round...and Flat.

regards

Yes, but a pizza isn't a crock.  :D