• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,606
  • Content Per Day:  3.96
  • Days Won:  21

http://www.banner.org.uk/res/CharismaticRenewalinBritain.pdf

A short excerpt is below. It attests to many 'charismatic events'. It is well worth reading. (it goes way back..)

1.4.6 The Quakers.  While the Puritans were seeking to reform the Church of England from within, a radical extension of the Separatist agenda emerged in the 1650s in the form of the Quakers. Officially called The Religious Society of Friends in reference to Jesus’ having dubbed his disciples ‘friends’ in John 15:15, Quakers owed their more popular name to their habit of trembling in prayer and worship.57 They were founded by the Leicestershire visionary George Fox (1624-91). As a young man, Fox struggled hard to develop an intimate, personal relationship with God, but in doing so found the national church more of a hindrance than a help. In the midst of a spiritual crisis, however, he heard a voice tell him, “There is one, even Christ Jesus, that can speak to thy condition.”58 Thereafter, he began to emphasise the witness of the ‘Inner Light’ (Jn. 1:9) – that is, the authority of ‘Christ within’ (Col. 1:27) as distinct from the authority of the established church and its liturgies, canons and hierarchies. Deeply opposed to clericalism, Fox and his followers evolved a corporate approach to worship, in which ‘meetings’ of the faithful would proceed in silent prayer until any member of the congregation was moved to ‘minister’ to others – whether through a ‘word’ of biblical exposition or insight, a prayer, or a prophetic utterance. The accent was firmly on spontaneous response to the ‘leading of the Spirit’, with an expectation that the presence of this Spirit might be manifest in quite dramatic ways. In his Autobiography, Fox himself recalls leading a meeting in which ‘the Lord’s power was so great that the house seemed to be shaken.’ Alluding to the Day of Pentecost he then adds: ‘When I had done some of the professors said it was now as in the days of the apostles, when the house was shaken where they were.’59 What Fox called ‘the Lord’s Power’ was often ‘so mighty upon’ him that he ‘could not hold but was made to cry out’.60 Furthermore, glossolalia was reported to have occurred in some Quaker meetings. Edward Burroughs, a close associate of Fox, once again invoked Pentecost when he testified that ‘we received often the pouring down of the Holy Spirit upon us...and our tongues were loosed and our mouths opened, and we spake with new tongues as the Lord gave us utterance, and as His Spirit led us, which was poured down upon us, on sons and daughters.’61 It also appears that George Fox exercised a personal ministry of healing. In his Book of Miracles he recounts how a crippled boy was able to play in the street after he had ministered to him, and how he laid hands on the paralysed arm of his disciple John..

Added: there is much much more to this historical reference report both before and after this section.

Edited by Justin Adams

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  15
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,371
  • Content Per Day:  1.36
  • Days Won:  5

On 2/24/2020 at 8:39 AM, Justin Adams said:

The cessationist points are as flawed as the hyper- charismatics are.

I have seen and heard about the Bethel people doing very odd things. I have been in quiet settings and seen with my own eyes the Gift of Discernment and Exorcism

I will never be convinced of the cessationist point of view due to personal experiences. I also am wary of some happy-clappy assemblies that equate noise with power. So I just use that little bit of discernment the Lord has been gracious to give me.

Honestly it's only God's grace that the gospel has survived at all........not only do we have counterfeit and evil spirits to contend with, but even when the real Holy Spirit shows up He is moving amongst imperfect people who often don't know what to do or how to respond to it as they should.  It doesn't take long for hands of flesh as well as fleshly emotions to start handling the ark of His presence and then it's downhill from there.  Nevertheless those who benefit the most are those whose hearts are PREPARED for Him.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  15
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,371
  • Content Per Day:  1.36
  • Days Won:  5

On 2/27/2020 at 9:37 AM, Jostler said:

Why don't you ask Him?  Instead of denying what He clearly said?

Amen....such a tragedy how cessationism quenches the Holy Spirit, which we are even told not to do.  It's so clear from scripture that we are to expect miracles and that the Lord works in mysterious ways.

Mat 7:11

If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him?

1Co 12:7-11

But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.

For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit;

To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;

To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:

But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,679
  • Content Per Day:  1.39
  • Days Won:  16

On 2/27/2020 at 7:22 AM, enoob57 said:

here again you have side stepped my issue and continued on presenting your perspective of why sign gifts are for today... why quote me at all :noidea:  just present your views. Your answer "Why don't you ask Him?  Instead of denying what He clearly said? " It really is rather rude to quote and then ignore just to add more of your own rhetoric...

The Lord is very intent on bringing His Body to maturity.  Those who continue to refuse and even stand in the way of those who earnestly desire to be about the Father's business are endangering themselves.  The baptism in the Spirit and ability to be used by Him in displaying all of His gifts of power in ministry is not optional.  The world needs to know Who He is in demonstration of power, just as He did in the first hundred years of the Church.  Many are making the decisions now, that will determine if they are going to be matured and empowered by Him to participate with Him in His designs for a great harvest at the end of this age, or be set aside, taken home early, found unwilling to participate with Him in His preparation for His return.  This is a very good time for reflection, drawing close to Him, listening and obeying.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,223
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

13 minutes ago, Jostler said:

The world needs to know Who He is in demonstration of power, just as He did in the first hundred years of the Church.

I am sorry but anyone, even my children I teach, can see what is written in Scripture is not being done today in the same way... even the enemies of Christ could not deny the power for it was self evident as huge crowds flocked to Jesus and witnessed that all who came to Him were healed... enough so that John could say this

John 21:24-25

24 This is the disciple which testifieth of these things, and wrote these things: and we know that his testimony is true.

25 And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written. Amen.
KJV

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  11,053
  • Content Per Day:  6.53
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

On 2/24/2020 at 8:21 AM, enoob57 said:

It is to this very point that I examine the Word of God toward eternal matters:
First would you agree that everything that 'IS' of God continues for all eternity with God? This is a very critical aspect of reasoning with the personal experiences. God has already shown to us that all experiences will end and be forgotten into the eternal state.

Rev 21:1-5

21 And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.

2 And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.

3 And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God.

4 And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.

5 And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful.

KJV

So here in our future we see all that we are now-> Mind, will and emotion will be redeemed unto newness of life not yet realized except by His Word to us

1 Cor 2:9-11

9 But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.

10 But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God.

11 For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.
KJV

We are to build upon the Foundation of Christ, 'The Living Word', and is understood by both The Creative Word and The Written Word by the tutoring of The Holy Spirit 'The blessed eternal hope' of Christ

1 Cor 3:10-11

10 According to the grace of God which is given unto me, as a wise masterbuilder, I have laid the foundation, and another buildeth thereon. But let every man take heed how he buildeth thereupon.

11 For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ.
KJV

Not a single one of those verses addresses the gifts of the Spirit being active in the Church Age.

Not one. I am addressing your points. Please explain how any one of them---I don't care which-- leads you to believe that and why.

You seem to be saying that some day--at the end of the age--we will no longer have personal experiences--as you call them. I don't think that is at all true either, but these scriptures certainly say nothing of 'personal or subjective' experiences of born again believers in this Church Age.

I find your reasoning beyond strange. It makes no sense unless you are so vested in being against the 'gifts of the Spirit' that you desperately look for verses to build a case that simply isn't there. Or you have been indoctrinated by those who think that way. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Well Said! 1

2 minutes ago, Alive said:

Not a single one of those verses addresses the gifts of the Spirit being active in the Church Age.

Not one. I am addressing your points. Please explain how any one of them---I don't care which-- leads you to believe that and why.

You seem to be saying that some day--at the end of the age--we will no longer have personal experiences--as you call them. I don't think that is at all true either, but these scriptures certainly say nothing of 'personal or subjective' experiences of born again believers in this Church Age.

I find your reasoning beyond strange. It makes no sense unless you are so vested in being against the 'gifts of the Spirit' that you desperately look for verses to build a case that simply isn't there. Or you have been indoctrinated by those who think that way. 

I just saw this and have other things to do now … I will address your comments when I can brother of mine :) 

On 2/24/2020 at 7:39 AM, Justin Adams said:

I will never be convinced of the cessationist point of view due to personal experiences.

This is what my comment was addressed to ↑

On 2/24/2020 at 8:21 AM, enoob57 said:

It is to this very point that I examine the Word of God toward eternal matters:
First would you agree that everything that 'IS' of God continues for all eternity with God? This is a very critical aspect of reasoning with the personal experiences. God has already shown to us that all experiences will end and be forgotten into the eternal state.

Rev 21:1-5

21 And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.

2 And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.

3 And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God.

4 And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.

5 And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful.

KJV

So here in our future we see all that we are now-> Mind, will and emotion will be redeemed unto newness of life not yet realized except by His Word to us

1 Cor 2:9-11

9 But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.

10 But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God.

11 For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.
KJV

We are to build upon the Foundation of Christ, 'The Living Word', and is understood by both The Creative Word and The Written Word by the tutoring of The Holy Spirit 'The blessed eternal hope' of Christ

1 Cor 3:10-11

10 According to the grace of God which is given unto me, as a wise masterbuilder, I have laid the foundation, and another buildeth thereon. But let every man take heed how he buildeth thereupon.

11 For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ.
KJV

as you can see I was dealing with personal experiences.... not so much cessation of gifts.

12 hours ago, Alive said:

You seem to be saying that some day--at the end of the age--we will no longer have personal experiences--as you call them.

That is what Revelation passage says... former things are passed away and all things (all) made new. You cannot have old memories and these statements of God remain true...

12 hours ago, Alive said:

It makes no sense unless you are so vested in being against the 'gifts of the Spirit' that you desperately look for verses to build a case that simply isn't there. Or you have been indoctrinated by those who think that way. 

I learned a long time ago that God's Word is the preeminent to all else that is here and by which we have discernment of spirits... there are only two things that continue into the eternal state The Word of God
1 Peter 1:25

25 But the word of the Lord endureth for ever. And this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you.
KJV

Souls of men

Rev 21:27

27 And there shall in no wise enter into it any thing that defileth, neither whatsoever worketh abomination, or maketh a lie: but they which are written in the Lamb's book of life.
KJV

So there remains the identification of importance →That which God 'IS' keeping forever← the eternal matters and it is nothing of this existence of 1st heaven and earth...

1 Cor 2:9-13

12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.

13 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.
KJV

On 2/27/2020 at 3:49 PM, Justin Adams said:

Did anyone read this? It is really well done. 

http://www.banner.org.uk/res/CharismaticRenewalinBritain.pdf

Edited by Justin Adams

The Lord God revealed thru His scriptures...  and they are all to be taken into account for edification etc. So the books that Jude, Peter and Paul read are to be used. Look into second temple literature and find out what they considered worthy of consideration. It was most definitely NOT the reformed canon. Most of the supernatural has been stripmined from our current edition(s) of scripture and although the KJV is good, there are many of those editions too; some even contain the apocrypha.

Milton's Paradise Lost seems to even be preferred over some scriptural writings. Strange!