Fidei Defensor

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  165
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  15

The History of Charismatic Church began in Acts 2, 1 Corinthians 12:4-11,  "What then, brothers? When you come together, each one has a hymn, a lesson, a revelation, a tongue, or an interpretation. Let all things be done for building up. If any speak in a tongue, let there be only two or at most three, and each in turn, and let someone interpret. But if there is no one to interpret, let each of them keep silent in church and speak to himself and to God. 29 Let two or three prophets speak, and let the others weigh what is said. 30 If a revelation is made to another sitting there, let the first be silent. For you can all prophesy one by one, so that all may learn and all be encouraged, and the spirits of prophets are subject to prophets. 33 For God is not a God of confusion but of peace." (1 Corinthians 14:26-32), resurfaced with the French Huguenots, The Moravian Brethren, The Pentecostals, and finally the diverse Charismatics groups that exist today. 

Here is the place to discuss all things regarding Charisma and its history. 

holy-spirit-come-beverly-guilliams.jpg

Huguenot Cross

huguenot-cross.gif

• Loved it! 1

• 1 month later...

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  207
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  8,651
  • Content Per Day:  1.17
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  03/04/1943

:emot-heartbeat:

Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father. John 14:12

:emot-heartbeat:

• 1 year later...

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  111
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/20/1966

Yes looking to see the Greater works promised by JEsus.

• 7 months later...

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

I do not support the Charismatic Church movement. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,158
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

On 6/29/2019 at 7:42 AM, Robert.A said:

Yes looking to see the Greater works promised by JEsus.

The Bible student must in the context define what is meant by 'greater works' … for sure the making of something from nothing (water to wine) leaves no greater in that sense of miracle...

7 hours ago, charisenexcelsis said:

The "fourth wave" of Christianity (the Pentecostal/Charismatic movement) now represents the second largest macro-community within Christianity, outnumbered only by the Roman Catholic Church.

The one question I ask to charismatics is why do they see God strengthening fleshy sensual aspects when He is not keeping even the memory of such :noidea:  ...

Rev 21:1-5

21 And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.

2 And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.

3 And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God.

4 And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.

5 And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful.
KJV

A thing that is tied to this world and life by sensual aspects will be removed in the eternal state... Our faith is built upon 'The Word of God' and it is in this that our faith is built

1 Cor 2:9-14

9 But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.

10 But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God.

11 For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.

12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.

13 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.

14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
KJV

Satan has been given rule over this world and anything that uses the world to bolster their faith wanes in spiritual understandings...

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Brilliant! 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  2,679
  • Content Per Day:  1.39
  • Days Won:  16

9 hours ago, enoob57 said:

The Bible student must in the context define what is meant by 'greater works' … for sure the making of something from nothing (water to wine) leaves no greater in that sense of miracle...

The one question I ask to charismatics is why do they see God strengthening fleshy sensual aspects when He is not keeping even the memory of such :noidea:  ...

Rev 21:1-5

21 And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.

2 And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.

3 And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God.

4 And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.

5 And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful.
KJV

A thing that is tied to this world and life by sensual aspects will be removed in the eternal state... Our faith is built upon 'The Word of God' and it is in this that our faith is built

1 Cor 2:9-14

9 But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.

10 But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God.

11 For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.

12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.

13 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.

14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
KJV

Satan has been given rule over this world and anything that uses the world to bolster their faith wanes in spiritual understandings...

And I would ask you why I should listen to you over the clearly written Word.

Therefore, brethren, desire earnestly to prophesy, and do not forbid to speak with tongues.

The Bible CLEARLY tells us when tongues, prophecy and even knowledge will cease.  And the time for cessation has not come.

Love never fails. But whether there are prophecies, they will fail; whether there are tongues, they will cease; whether there is knowledge, it will vanish away.

For we know in part and we prophesy in part. (now)

But when that which is perfect has come, then that which is in part will be done away.

When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I shall know just as I also am known.

Paul uses a well known rhetorical device to make his point.  He divided his argument into "now" (while tongues, prophecy and knowledge are in effect) and "then" (when tongues, knowledge and prophecy will cease).

And until you have seen Father, face to face, until you know the number of hairs on His head, prophecy and tongues, and all the other gifts of the Spirit will be in effect, and useful to Him, through His people, in taking the power of heaven and applying it to needs and ministry on this earth.

It is folly to set your own intellect over the clear Word.....and personally dangerous to you.

When we see face to face....not before.  And none of us have seen His face yet.

Edited by Jostler
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1
  • Praise God! 1

12 hours ago, missmuffet said:

I do not support the Charismatic Church movement. 

The Bible sure does.

• Thumbs Up 3

13 minutes ago, Jostler said:

The Bible sure does.

Would you please post the scripture that supports the Charismatic movement. 

• Well Said! 1

Just now, missmuffet said:

Would you please post the scripture that supports the Charismatic movement. 

i just did....and you can read all of 1st Corinthians chapters 12 through 14 for the whole story

• Thumbs Up 2

4 minutes ago, Jostler said:

i just did....and you can read all of 1st Corinthians chapters 12 through 14 for the whole story

What is the Charismatic movement?

Charismatic movementaudio

Question: "What is the Charismatic movement?"

Answer: 
The Charismatic movement is an interdenominational Christian renewal movement and is one of the most popular and fastest-growing forces within the Christian world today. The movement traces its roots to 1906, at the Azusa Street mission in Los Angeles, California, a Methodist-sponsored revival. It was there that people claimed to have been “baptized by the Holy Spirit” in the manner recorded in Acts chapter 2 during the celebration of Pentecost. People speaking in tongues and miracles of healing roused people to a spiritual frenzy. The people who attended those meetings spread their enthusiasm throughout the United States, and the Pentecostal/Charismatic movement began.

By the early 1970s, the movement had spread to Europe, and during the 1980s the movement expanded, with a number of new denominations evolving from it. It is not unusual to see its influence in many other denominations such as Baptists, Episcopalians, and Lutherans, as well as non-denominational churches.

The movement takes its name from the Greek words charis, which is the English transliteration of the Greek word for “grace,” and mata, which is the Greek word meaning “gifts.” Charismata, then, means “grace gifts.” It emphasizes the manifestations of the gifts of the Holy Spirit as a sign of the presence of the Holy Spirit. These gifts are also known as the biblical “charisms,” or spiritual gifts which supposedly give an individual influence or authority over large numbers of people. The prominent gifts among these “charisms” are speaking in tongues and prophesying. Charismatics hold that the manifestations of the Holy Spirit given to those in the first-century church may still be experienced and practiced today.

The Charismatic movement is most known for its acceptance of speaking in tongues (also known as glossolalia), divine healing, and prophecies as evidence of the Holy Spirit. Most meetings are for praying and spirited singing, dancing, shouting “in the spirit,” and raising hands and arms in prayer. Also, anointing the sick with oil is often part of the worship service. These are the primary reasons for the movement’s growth and popularity. While growth and popularity are certainly desirable, they cannot be used as a test for truth.

The question remains: is the Charismatic movement scriptural? We can best answer that question this way: we know that since the creation of mankind Satan’s insidious master plan has been simply to put a veil between God’s children and God’s inerrant Word. It began in the Garden of Eden when the serpent asked Eve, “Did God really say . . .?” (Genesis 3:1), thereby raising doubt as to the authority and authenticity of what God had said. Ever since that day, he continues to attack the inerrancy and sufficiency of the Bible. Without question, we know that Satan has stepped up the pace of this strategy (1 Peter 5:8).

Today, we are witnessing a growing menace of demonic activity in the realm of the miraculous. Where Satan does not succeed in taking the Bible from us, he works hard at taking us from the Bible. He does this simply by getting Christians to focus their attention on the claims of men and women to some supernatural experience. As a result, those who seek after the experiences of others have neither time nor interest in searching the Scriptures for God’s truth.

There is no denying that God performs miracles. Some of what occurs in the Charismatic movement very well may be a true work of the Holy Spirit. However, the core truth is this: the Body of Christ does not need new apostles, nor new faith healers, nor self-styled miracle workers. What the Church needs is to return to the Word of God and proclaim the whole counsel of God in the power and love of the Holy Spirit.

https://www.gotquestions.org/Charismatic-movement.html

Edited by missmuffet
  • Thumbs Up 1