• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

Interesting to see and read the responses, I almost did not make the OP, wondering if anyone would find it worth commenting on, or thinking I was picking on feminists. I married a feminist, and we got on fine (until she left me for another man), but she was just a feminist, not a man hater!

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  952
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,569
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Never had a feminist refuse to go through a door that I was holding open  for her. 

Some said thank you. Others said no one had ever done that for them.

I would respond, my grandfather taught me respect for women. 

Perhaps just perhaps chivalry is not a lost art nor banished from the land. A woman can be both feminine and respected, as well as successful in the workplaces and in careers of all kinds including motherhood and parenting.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  626
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  0

On 10/11/2017 at 12:57 AM, shiloh357 said:

I can't imagine anyone making a better sandwich than me. My wife (if I had one) would not make my sandwiches. I would make them myself as I alone know what a sandwich should be.  :P

Lol. I totally agree with you on this one :laugh:

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  626
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  0

My wife doesn't make me lunch and I am fine with that. It doesn't bother me one way or the other. Quite honestly my wife is ok with me doing things for myself. I prefer most times to make my own breakfast and lunch. My wife is pretty good about making dinner. I thought the OP post was rather humorous actually. I read through some of the comments and I thought some took the OP post way to seriously. Sure my wife enjoys serving me but I sure don't expect it nor do I demand it. Not that the OP was saying this but I think it seems there is a misunderstanding in the Christian circles as to what submission really is. Anyway that is my two cents. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  65
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,568
  • Content Per Day:  1.39
  • Days Won:  7

On 10/11/2017 at 9:01 AM, Gary Lee said:

As a kid, I ate a sliced bologna on day old bread with mustard and a banana or apple every day at school. Every day! Tuna on Friday. (seven of us kids)  My Mexican friends in school would not trade even one of their tacos for the bologna. Since school days, I have never eaten bologna again, unless fried crisp (burnt) with cheese and tomatoes and onions and  mayonnaise, and never mustard. Being a carpenter all my life, I lived fifty years  on construction job sites, brown bagging. After marriage my wife made my lunches, (Thank You Jesus!) most all the time. And it was like having her speak to me through her small oasis of home in that little brown bag of goodies, for my thirty minuets of rest and quiet. And she liked to leave love notes. Sometimes I missed them, hidden somewhere in the bag. So she would put them in the sandwich. I sometimes missed them also. (Hard to explain to a group of old carpenters why I sometimes pull a slip of paper out of a mouth full of food) Since discovering the playmate cooler many years back, I looked forward to lunch with curiosity, since now I would get just about anything, from thermos hot stew, to bowls of fresh fruit. And my favorite, leftovers. Salt and pepper, napkins, jalapenos, Soda and cold water, main meal, fruit and usually a mint or candy. (occasional note still).  I really believe that getting those cool tasty  lunches daily, the reminder of her thoughtfulness and love, contributed greatly to our forty six years of marriage.  For sure.
I was on face book when it came out for one day, as required to join to view pictures sent by my cousin. When I discovered the software went into my PC and found my contacts (friends) and sent my email address to them, I decided there is something a little too invasive with this new club of crazies, and unsubscribed. I do have business friends who say it is a necessary evil to conduct their businesses, the modern way of advertising.  I wouldn't know. But what I see and (hear) is it creates a sense of heard instinct. The crowd, the pack, the mob mentality.  People change when they want to be included in the conversation, the pack,  and with it, their morals often, and their individuality. No, not all, but most. Like some forums. Someone makes a comment, the next one has to top it, and pretty soon it's no holds bared, anything goes.  What would have happened if the first couple of res ponders had posted their praise for the wife for her wisdom in being careful with their income and saving for the future, and shared ways to make their own lunches more appetizing,  more personal, as a loving spouse who appreciates her hardworking man? And the direction gravitated towards more on how each individual showed her love in helping her life-mate through the daily struggles of life?  A soft answer.

Hi Gary Lee, It was great reading through your post and reading about your wife hiding notes in your lunch bag. When my brother and I were still in school, he used to bo to boarding school and moved around between schools, so at any one time, he was between seven and twelve hours away from home. I loved going through his case before he left and hid various notes throughout his case, wishing him a great day and such. I am glad to read that others do similar things.

Hope you have a great day. Blessings :) 

On 10/11/2017 at 10:55 PM, Omegaman 3.0 said:

Interesting to see and read the responses, I almost did not make the OP, wondering if anyone would find it worth commenting on, or thinking I was picking on feminists. I married a feminist, and we got on fine (until she left me for another man), but she was just a feminist, not a man hater!

It has been a good post to read and see what people have to share Omega :)

It was good to read about you and your wife and see that even though things did not work out the way you hoped, that you are able to talk about her nicely. 

Blessings :) 

On 10/12/2017 at 8:06 AM, Neighbor said:

Never had a feminist refuse to go through a door that I was holding open  for her. 

Some said thank you. Others said no one had ever done that for them.

I would respond, my grandfather taught me respect for women. 

Perhaps just perhaps chivalry is not a lost art nor banished from the land. A woman can be both feminine and respected, as well as successful in the workplaces and in careers of all kinds including motherhood and parenting.

Glad to read your post Neighbor. I often think it doesn't take much to treat one another with respect. 

A friend of ours was traveling on the train in London and stood up to give his seat to a woman who had just come on the train. She told him that he did not have to give up his seat for her. I loved his response, that he did not have to give his seat up for her, but wanted to do so because of who he was.

I try and teach my girls in the store to step back to allow older people into the store first, and if someone does wait for us to go through first to say thank you, and if it is a car who waits so we can cross, to wave and acknowledge the person for doing so.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/12/2017 at 8:46 AM, Jaydog1976 said:

My wife doesn't make me lunch and I am fine with that. It doesn't bother me one way or the other. Quite honestly my wife is ok with me doing things for myself. I prefer most times to make my own breakfast and lunch. My wife is pretty good about making dinner. I thought the OP post was rather humorous actually. I read through some of the comments and I thought some took the OP post way to seriously. Sure my wife enjoys serving me but I sure don't expect it nor do I demand it. Not that the OP was saying this but I think it seems there is a misunderstanding in the Christian circles as to what submission really is. Anyway that is my two cents. 

Thanks for sharing Jay,

I do like what you shared from your own experience. And coming back to what submission is or is not.

Back home, where it was very common for the wife to do all the cooking, I think it was unusual for people to see my dad enjoyed cooking the meal when we would have large crowds over for dinner. The truth is that, though my dad did not like everyday cooking, he enjoyed cooking for large numbers.  

I think it is different doing something because you want to do it for someone else, is different to doing something because a person feels forced to do it.

I know that a topic, probably even more touchy than the preparation of food, is probably dealing with finances in the house. And we have made decisions very differently even from that of the way our parents handled their finances.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  952
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,569
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Somebody had better deal with them! Finances that is.

I struggle, really do, finding it to be very hard, but I deal with it.

My own hard lesson to share is this: For half a century I went out hunted brought back game like I was Tarzan, and that was that. Spouse took it from there. Really, I couldn't tell you what we had, how much I made, where it was, nor why. I didn't even care.

Then spouse died.

All my life I had thought, I'll go first. Well I didn't.

It took me a long long time to get through the "finances".  And then it has taken  several years to get  halfway comfortable handling the task of managing  personal finances.

I could analyze, I could build and run apartment buildings, I could put five year rolling business plans and projections together, but I could not do the task of household finances. 

Family finances is a skill that requires some real talent, perhaps even a gift. It is hard work too. Congratulations to those that do take it on and manage well. You are a blessing to your own family unit.

-------

ps - after a year of seeing me struggle with "systems" each month my new bride of a year  does now  consent to assist me, though she will not take charge of the finances. She does say, well you do lead a bit of a complicated life and with it comes somewhat complicated record keeping, but you don't really have to make lists and plans for everything you do.

Plan? I have a plan? Where is the plan on my list of things? I don't see it. But geesh I've got to pay all these bills. Maybe a new system let's see.... :)

Edited by Neighbor

On 10/16/2017 at 7:51 AM, Neighbor said:

Somebody had better deal with them! Finances that is.

I struggle, really do, finding it to be very hard, but I deal with it.

My own hard lesson to share is this: For half a century I went out hunted brought back game like I was Tarzan, and that was that. Spouse took it from there. Really, I couldn't tell you what we had, how much I made, where it was, nor why. I didn't even care.

Then spouse died.

All my life I had thought, I'll go first. Well I didn't.

It took me a long long time to get through the "finances".  And then it has taken  several years to get  halfway comfortable handling the task of managing  personal finances.

I could analyze, I could build and run apartment buildings, I could put five year rolling business plans and projections together, but I could not do the task of household finances. 

Family finances is a skill that requires some real talent, perhaps even a gift. It is hard work too. Congratulations to those that do take it on and manage well. You are a blessing to your own family unit.

-------

ps - after a year of seeing me struggle with "systems" each month my new bride of a year  does now  consent to assist me, though she will not take charge of the finances. She does say, well you do lead a bit of a complicated life and with it comes somewhat complicated record keeping, but you don't really have to make lists and plans for everything you do.

Plan? I have a plan? Where is the plan on my list of things? I don't see it. But geesh I've got to pay all these bills. Maybe a new system let's see.... :)

It is so refreshing to read your honesty as you shared here... thank you, Neighbor.

My dad remarried too. He got remarried about four years after my mom passed away. Just like you described the differences between your first and second wife, my mom and step-mom are so different. I have found it great that my mom and step mom are so different, it makes it hard to compare them that way.

• Thanks 1