• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  42
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  138
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/09/1965

12 hours ago, Neighbor said:

Didn't have time for dreams. Nor inclination to have visions. Each day was survival of the quickest if not the fittest. I was way too busy ducking, hiding, and running to be dreaming. Dreamers got stabbed, shot, or clubbed to death, or ended up in prison. No one ever discussed having dreams  nor aspirations. There were only enemies and alliances. 

When asked as a kid what I wanted to be when I grow up, I kept kinda quiet mumbled I don't know, while thinking : Alive.

Hi neighbour 

Growing up through the troubles in Belfast I can relate to life back then however I would not let it rob me off my dreams and goals but yes to be alive is good 

Blessings 

Brother 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  952
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,573
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

2 hours ago, Sinbad said:

Hi neighbour 

Growing up through the troubles in Belfast I can relate to life back then however I would not let it rob me off my dreams and goals but yes to be alive is good 

Blessings 

Brother 

Good morning,

I think you had it a whole lot rougher than I did.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,251
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

To leave home (of nine), find a job/income, have my own place to live, start my life, and be in control of it.
How, where, what, unimportant. To just make my own independent decisions for my life.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 11/14/2017 at 8:18 PM, Gary Lee said:

To leave home (of nine), find a job/income, have my own place to live, start my life, and be in control of it.
How, where, what, unimportant. To just make my own independent decisions for my life.

Wow , yes what an old set of memories just returned on that note:

I was earning money by 5 and moved out at 17, was married  by 19, had a child by 20, and a career underway.  Seems I have lived long enough to go through six careers, and don't remember dreaming about a one of them.  Should have had a "vision" about old cars back when they were new I guess.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Newbie
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  1
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

My dream is to be happy and not fearful. And to also do right to the person that loves me no matter what i do

• Thumbs Up 2

22 hours ago, secularhermit said:

I was drawn to this "catchy" question... My dreams and goals?

As far as I understand me and the way I relate to those words Jesus said ("Deny yourself") made a change of mind and, according to Venezuela social condition and the unsocial unrest, my goal and dream is to pass away.

I, like many ppl this country, am bored and disgusted to make lines to get some basic food, toothpaste, or few money from the bank (my own emptied saving account)... in a nutshell? My dreams and goals just banished!

Hi, I missed saying hello to you when  you signed on- So hello and welcome to Worthy Christian Forums. Sorry for the plight you undergo. May our creator bring some comfort to you, and angels to surround and protect you.

You have picked out a most unusual identity of "secularhermit" as you also describe your rather bleak sounding living conditions. Might you share what that name means to you?

Secular and hermit, to me reads -not involved with the things of God, - and lives isolated and alone.  Is that what you intend to convey, or am I misundertanding your intent? I ask because I will want to pray  and also discuss that  with you, also hope many others here will as well.  So how do you cope with this rather horrible plight that is Venezuela today?

Edited by Neighbor
  • Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, secularhermit said:

Thanks for your kindness! Perhaps I am lost on the frame of this site (excuse me if my nickname results insulting or offensive for the criteria anyone have).

1) That's the moniker of my most used email I used in politics the place I am.

2) Although I don t have personal access to God I revered Him as the Only person I want to meet to sort my existential need.

3) I live next to a wood and I detached enough from the conventional life many enjoyed or partake and, as hedonist I am, I wish life were another thing, and I love God were more personal and accessible, approachable, but he is as He is: I most surrender to His will, no matter what. So, you are WRONG if you thought my nickname defines my intent or real faith condition. A moniker doesn't define what a person does nor what they do publicly or privately.

Hi again,

It is an interesting name, secularhermit. I make nothing of it without asking what it's intent is. 

Ah to be detached from the city, now there is the dream of many, rich poor or in between. This very morning we were looking at land on the internet and discussing  acreage, going off the grid, etcetera. Our morning conclusion is we must still make best use of where we are, when we are, as God has granted us privilege to be and do. Plus try to be content in our circumstance even as we explore new opportunity and the will of God for our life today. 

With that, I ask what does one do at the edge of the wood at Venezuela?

I am not at all familiar with the country other than the little bit of political news and an ocasional missionary's accounting of their own time there.  I suspect most do not even attempt to go there now. But I don't know that. So I am interested in anything you might have on your mind that you will want to share with any and all here on this little Christian message board. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Upon re-reading your post, I see you hope that God could be more accessible. I wonder, if He can be?

Perhaps, perhaps it is not the way it must be. Perhaps God can be more accessible. Whether one is spoiled by the rishes that are at least temporally  a blessing in th USA or having to deal with what seems a horror, from the little I can comprehend, at Venezuela today.

Seems life can get turned upside down  in a moment for any or us. Yet should not God be able to be close in all circumstances, just as He can be distant in all as well? I wonder- Is it God alone, or is it us alone, that moves away when we are feeling that  He is not especially close,  nor particularly interested in any one of us personally.

Or is it that God  in His sovereign and  predestination-ial manner, along with His foreknowledge, allows us to wander away, while also  and distancing Himself far enough away that we do want to be turned back about toward Him. 

Edited by Neighbor

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  597
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,124
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

From the time I was in the sixth grade I wanted to be a director at a television station...    During my teen years instead of going out to play on Friday nights I spent the evenings with the Chief Engineer at our local TV station.  Did this for years getting used to using the equipment and understanding the Job.

The day I turned 18 and could legally work there he called me to start as an audio engineer and I worked up to being a director a year or so later.....     turned out one can't make much money doing that in Oklahoma and I didn't want to move to L.A. or New York so I went to work for Xerox..    Wife would not start a family on my salary so I had to go find a real job and not one that was all glory and no money.  People should consider more than the glory of a job before they put so much into it....    but in the process I did get a first class radio telephone operators license which really opened doors for my life's career.

So I set my goals on something that paid more and turned it over to God....   he got me  Job with Xerox through an employment agency and I worked my fanny off for 38 years so we could travel when we retired.....

So far it's working out for we are spending about 20 weeks a year going to see the things we've wanted to do most of our lives....      cool things can happen when you turn things over to Him and just work with what he makes available and not live above the means he provides.....   I'm about as happy as a guy can be even with our health problems.    Could all come crashing down and someday probably will but we are enjoying things while they come along.   Never be rich, never really wanted to be....   too much stress.

• Praise God! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.11
  • Days Won:  78

On 11/6/2017 at 3:37 PM, Neighbor said:

Didn't have time for dreams. Nor inclination to have visions. Each day was survival of the quickest if not the fittest. I was way too busy ducking, hiding, and running to be dreaming. Dreamers got stabbed, shot, or clubbed to death, or ended up in prison. No one ever discussed having dreams  nor aspirations. There were only enemies and alliances. 

When asked as a kid what I wanted to be when I grow up, I kept kinda quiet mumbled I don't know, while thinking : Alive.

Oh my goodness!  Where did you live?  Chicago?  :o