• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  42
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  138
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/09/1965

What is Amish is it a cult or religion ?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  24
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Content Count:  1,459
  • Content Per Day:  0.59
  • Days Won:  2

There are Amish and Mennonites in Wisconsin around where I grew up.   The few interactions I've had with them have been positive.  In general, I'd tend to categorize them as Christian groups with very extreme views on being separate from the world (which includes not using modern technologies of certain types).   I think that there is variation from location to location as well.

Someone else may have more experience with them and be able to give better insights.

• Thumbs Up 3

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  35
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,734
  • Content Per Day:  2.74
  • Days Won:  21

I agree with Gandalf, we had Mennonites near my hometown. Always very polite and pleasant. They're a Christian religion but hold a very very legalistic view. 

They make some mean baked good though. :) 

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  496
  • Content Per Day:  0.14

I agree with above Gandalf. I wouldn't call them as cult. Again, cult is a loosely used term. Any unorthodox belief is often called as cult. I like the definition quoted by gotquestions for what a cult means. Going by that definition, I wouldn't call Amish people as cults. They have extreme views on certain things - using modern technology, mixing with people outside of their community, education, etc. 

https://www.gotquestions.org/cult-definition.html

I visit Amish community often in Lancaster PA. Found many positive things as well. There are certainly many good things we can learn from them :)

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Content Count:  9,607
  • Content Per Day:  3.93
  • Days Won:  21

I worked with a few in a sawmill in Wisconsin for a few days. 

I was checking controls and hydraulics issues. They are a humble decent people in my estimation, Christian.

Edited by Justin Adams
clarify
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  42
  • Content Count:  138
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Birthday:  03/09/1965

Thank you all for the insight I've never heard of Amish people before been interesting reading your replies 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  963
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,747
  • Content Per Day:  5.04
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

2 hours ago, Sinbad said:

Hi, They are an outgrowth of "Plain People", of separatism from the world. They are of Anabaptist heritage as are Mennonites, as even were the Shakers of whom only two survive today still living at one of the Shaker Villages. However the Shakers embraced all modern technology and did flourish as merchants with their neighbors, and they invited "outsiders" into their confines, their villages and allowed outsiders to see and sit through they meetings and worship times.

I personally find the Shaker doctrine to be of cult nature. I thoroughly enjoy  studying their Village at Canterbury N.H. and listening to the man that was raised in their village a local College instructor for the area not a member not a Shaker himself. ( Shakers to me do what is an actual denial of Jesus as Lord, instead becoming more one with God than  a saint in Christ Jesus in my opinion.) I do not understand that to be the case with the Amish nor Mennonite cultures. Will make for an interesting study I suppose- might you want to take it on? And report here?

Ah a visit to Canterbury is quite the trip into a time capsule! I have even looked into real estate there it is so nice, but those New Hampshire Real Estate taxes, oye!

p.s. Sinbad, you might have a very useful and unique physical vantage point for such a study!

Edited by Neighbor
  • Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  963
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,747
  • Content Per Day:  5.04
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

The American Quakers the founders of the first schools in America also are "Plain People".

There is an example of a Quaker school at Sturbridge Village, Massachusetts, that is most interesting. The host there is well informed and shares of the early  spread of education in America through the Quaker movement.

I suspect the greater study is of the Plain People more than of any of the outshoots, least that is a beginning point that may be of help in understanding the various groups. 

To me it is  a vein that is part of a stream of awareness born out of the Reformation which led to many varied attempts to speak directly with God,  and to worship directly under God without separation by nor intercession by man's traditions of having priests, of which we now celebrate it's 500th anniversary. Praise God

Edited by Neighbor
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.92
  • Days Won:  3

I wouldn't say it is a cult nor would I say it is a religion. It is more of a way of life. If you want to be part of it you have to follow what the Amish Elders say. There are a lot of Youtube videos on the subject. Not all of them good but some goods ones with good information. They maybe able to explain it a bit better for you. 

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,994
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,692
  • Content Per Day:  11.74
  • Days Won:  226

4 hours ago, Sinbad said:

The Amish are a sect that follow the teachings of Jacob Ammann. It is a Protestant denomination similar to the Mennonites. They are a very forgiving group of people. They are very hard working and God loving people. They keep the OT law and have a very long list of do's and don't. They distance themselves from the Englishers which are you and me.

• Thumbs Up 2