• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  957
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,633
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

46 minutes ago, missmuffet said:

I posted this thread only to get a Christian perspective on the selfie. :noidea:

Now I'm curious. Probably shouldn't ask,... but what is a Christian perspective on selfies? Are there non christian and Christian perspectives on selfies? Now I am pretty much oblivious to anything having to do with self portraits or group snapshots.

I tend to like landscapes oceanscapes. Guess I'm not into photos of people, make sone only look back later and wonder-wha' happened?

Guest shiloh357
1 minute ago, Neighbor said:

Now I'm curious. Probably shouldn't ask,... but what is a Christian perspective on selfies? Are there non christian and Christian perspectives on selfies? Now I am pretty much oblivious to anything having to do with self portraits or group snapshots.

I tend to like landscapes oceanscapes. Guess I'm not into photos of people, make sone only look back later and wonder-wha' happened?

Selfies are amoral.  They are neither sinful or virtuous.   Neither good nor bad.   They can be misused and one can obsess on them like anything else in our world.   Simply taking a selfie at a party, or to change your photo on FB, or on vacation is entirely a nonissue.  

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,992
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,690
  • Content Per Day:  11.78
  • Days Won:  226

I think a "selfie" is pretty self explanatory. It is taking a picture of yourself. Sometimes a person will add someone else in their selfie. I think it is a individual perspective of how a person sees a selfie.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers

28 minutes ago, missmuffet said:

What is a selfie to you?

A selfie is a casual self portrait usually nothing more than a snapshot some taken with an extension selfie stick but most just held at arms length and snapped using a smartphone lense. Then they are often texted as though  one were sending a electronic postcard. They are not all that interesting, but one has to be polite, smile, and acknowledge; hey I see you were are the mall, the park, Disney, wherever.  Guess it is as much fun today as a Brownie camera was 80 years ago. Or a Polaroid was in the 1960's.

Anyone still have a "Polaroid" photo? ???

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.10
  • Days Won:  78

3 minutes ago, shiloh357 said:

Selfies are amoral.  They are neither sinful or virtuous.   Neither good nor bad.   They can be misused and one can obsess on them like anything else in our world.   Simply taking a selfie at a party, or to change your photo on FB, or on vacation is entirely a nonissue.  

I've only taken one selfie in my life and then didn't post it.  I think they're silly.  But there's nothing wrong with them unless they become an obsession.

A selfie is a casual self portrait usually nothing more than a snapshot some taken with an extension selfie stick but most just held at arms length and snapped using a smartphone lense. Then they are often texted as though  one were sending a electronic postcard. Thye are not all that interesting, but one has o be polite and smile and acknowledge hey I see you were are the mall the park, Disney, wherever.  Guess it is as much fun today as a Brownie camera was 80 years ago. Or a Polaroid was in the 1960's.

You mean one of the early instant developing things?  I have some of my parents taken with one of those cameras.

14 minutes ago, MorningGlory said:

You mean one of the early instant developing things?  I have some of my parents taken with one of those cameras.

Really!? And they are still viewable? Amazing. Yes the early ones were big cameras, monochromatic only, and the print had developer that got squished onto the print surface than was neutralized, peeled and excess paper and chemicals disposed of, all very messy. Later they became  simpler color printing devices that self developed without haste to throw away. They were not especially stable images, tending to lose reds rapidly.

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,188
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

43 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

About 5 years ago I digitized several hundred polaroid's that my family had taken over many years.     Resolution is not very good with the things, but the content of the pictures is really priceless

Scan032, May 10, 2010.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Neighbor said:

Really!? And they are still viewable? Amazing. Yes the early ones were big cameras, monochromatic only, and the print had developer that got squished onto the print surface than was neutralized, peeled and excess paper and chemicals disposed of, all very messy. Later they became  simpler color printing devices that self developed without haste to throw away. They were not especially stable images, tending to lose reds rapidly.

Right; my photos are cracking and I've no idea how to preserve them.  Have you ever heard of anything?  My parents are both gone now so I would love to come up with a way to stop these photos from disintegrating.  They were taken with an SX 70 from what I've been told by others who remember and I think they were taken about forty years ago.