• Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.34
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

14 minutes ago, Sanctum said:

Matthew 5:32 But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery.

I don't see much room for loopholes in this verse. 

If I had previously been married before becoming a Christian, then no, I would not feel free to marry again.

I just simply believe as a small child.   IF JESUS said do it we do and if he called it evil we don't .    That simple.   and its been a joy by the SPIRIT to live His sayings

and not a one of them is grievious.  JOY FILLED , lite and easy and HAPPY is the one who keeps them.    But beware for those who omit them or try and find a way around them.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

Question: "I am divorced. Can I remarry according to the Bible?"

Answer:
We often receive questions like “I am divorced for such and such a reason. Can I get remarried?” “I have been divorced twice—the first for adultery by my spouse, the second for incompatibility. I am dating a man who has been divorced three times—the first for incompatibility, the second for adultery on his part, the third for adultery on his wife’s part. Can we get married to each other?” Questions like these are very difficult to answer because the Bible does not go into great detail regarding the various scenarios for remarriage after a divorce.

What we can know for sure is that it is God’s plan for a married couple to stay married as long as both spouses are alive (Genesis 2:24; Matthew 19:6). The only specific allowance for remarriage after a divorce is for adultery (Matthew 19:9), and even this is debated among Christians. Another possibility is desertion—when an unbelieving spouse leaves a believing spouse (1 Corinthians 7:12–15). This passage, though, does not specifically address remarriage, only being bound to stay in a marriage. Instances of physical, sexual, or severe emotional abuse would be sufficient cause for separation, but the Bible does not speak of these sins in the context of divorce or remarriage.

We know two things for sure. God hates divorce (Malachi 2:16), and God is merciful and forgiving. Every divorce is a result of sin, either on the part of one spouse or both. Does God forgive divorce? Absolutely! Divorce is no less forgivable than any other sin. Forgiveness of all sins is available through faith in Jesus Christ (Matthew 26:28; Ephesians 1:7). If God forgives the sin of divorce, does that mean you are free to remarry? Not necessarily. God sometimes calls people to remain single (1 Corinthians 7:7-8). Being single should not be viewed as a curse or punishment, but as an opportunity to serve God wholeheartedly (1 Corinthians 7:32-36). God’s Word does tell us, though, that it is better to marry than to burn with passion (1 Corinthians 7:9). Perhaps this sometimes applies to remarriage after a divorce.

So, can you or should you get remarried? We cannot answer that question. Ultimately, that is between you, your potential spouse, and, most importantly, God. The only advice we can give is for you to pray to God for wisdom regarding what He would have you do (James 1:5). Pray with an open mind and genuinely ask the Lord to place His desires on your heart (Psalm 37:4). Seek the Lord’s will (Proverbs 3:5-6) and follow His leading.

https://www.gotquestions.org/divorced-remarry.html

• Group:  Mars Hill

7 minutes ago, Yowm said:

That all seems to  be aimed at the woman. What if the divorced man marries a woman who had never been married? 

It goes for both  , HE who ,  HE WHO , puts away his wife and marries another COMMITS adultery .   it says that too.    its both.   

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  552
  • Content Per Day:  0.21
  • Days Won:  0

On 1/15/2018 at 11:41 AM, creativemechanic said:

something I noticed 

20180113_151213.jpg

...So by Jesus coming into the world of sin, isn't He showing support of sin? Or if He went to the wedding of a sinner and performed His first miracle and served them all wine, would that not be showing support for their sin?

• Followers:  15
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  3,371
  • Content Per Day:  1.36
  • Days Won:  5

8 hours ago, Yowm said:

Right, I wouldn't go to anything of Bentley's.

Let me ask you what I asked Sanctum. If you lived a life of adultery (got divorced) and fornication before being born again, then you received Christ, repented and became born again, does that prevent you from getting married in the future, because it would be adultery?

Aside from his name and who he is.......just talking about the situation.......was he justified in marrying his mistress?  Should we attend his wedding and bless that union and congratulate him for marrying his mistress and leaving his devastated little family behind in his wake.  That situation mirrored a point you were making, and I was hoping we could see the travesty of his re-marriage, that it was a sham, just putting lipstick on the pig.....and unchristian....it only served to seal his sin.  It was hardly the fruits of repentance and yet he was received and vetted by many as having repented.  So, what would the fruits of true repentance have been?.......He would have turned away from his sin and reconciled with his wife, wouldn't he.....instead of marrying his sin, so to speak.  But he chose what his flesh lusted for instead of denying himself to follow Christ........hope we can see that is not repentance.  And hope we can also see what a deception and delusion lust is.......it really is demonic, plain and simple.......should we follow demonic feelings or should we deny them to follow Christ.

Regarding your question here, there can be many different circumstances......what a tangled mess of webs we can weave in this life.....doesn't it just go to show how God's way is the right way......and all the more if there are children involved.  How much better never to sin in the first place!   Well I don't have wisdom for every individual set of circumstances, brother, but Jesus does.  And there is one thing the Lord has taught me.......that no matter what our circumstances there is no way to follow Jesus without denying ourselves.......if we marry we still have to deny ourselves lusting and coveting others, and if we don't marry we still have to deny ourselves.  There is no escaping denying ourselves if we are His disciples, slave or free, rich or poor, married or not, we will find the call to deny ourselves will be presented to us in different ways, no matter what our circumstances are.......because that is the essence of the cross we carry, like Jesus did....denying our SELF......which means, not my will be done Father but thy will be done.  This is what crucifies our flesh/old man and is the gateway, the door, to entering the kingdom of heaven.......doing God's will and not our will.  It is called the Way, and the narrow path which leads to life.......and few there be that find it.

Well, all we can do is to look at the words of Jesus together and see if the Lord will help us to understand and apply them....going to post them to save the trouble of looking them up:

Mathew 5:31-32

It hath been said, Whosoever shall put away his wife, let him give her a writing of divorcement:

But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery.

Matthew 19:8-12

He saith unto them, Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so.

And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.

His disciples say unto him, If the case of the man be so with his wife, it is not good to marry.

But he said unto them, All men cannot receive this saying, save they to whom it is given.

For there are some eunuchs, which were so born from their mother's womb: and there are some eunuchs, which were made eunuchs of men: and there be eunuchs, which have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven's sake. He that is able to receive it, let him receive it.

Mark 10:2-12

And the Pharisees came to him, and asked him, Is it lawful for a man to put away his wife? tempting him.

And he answered and said unto them, What did Moses command you?

And they said, Moses suffered to write a bill of divorcement, and to put her away.

And Jesus answered and said unto them, For the hardness of your heart he wrote you this precept.

But from the beginning of the creation God made them male and female.

For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and cleave to his wife;

And they twain shall be one flesh: so then they are no more twain, but one flesh.

What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.

And in the house his disciples asked him again of the same matter.

And he saith unto them, Whosoever shall put away his wife, and marry another, committeth adultery against her.

And if a woman shall put away her husband, and be married to another, she committeth adultery.

Luke 16:18

Whosoever putteth away his wife, and marrieth another, committeth adultery: and whosoever marrieth her that is put away from her husband committeth adultery.

• Thumbs Up 3

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,605
  • Content Per Day:  3.97
  • Days Won:  21

10 minutes ago, Heleadethme said:

just putting lipstick on the pig

You do have a way with words... and well written posts too!!

Guest shiloh357

9 hours ago, Sanctum said:

Matthew 5:32 But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery.

I don't see much room for loopholes in this verse. 

If I had previously been married before becoming a Christian, then no, I would not feel free to marry again.

Matthew 5:32 is often presented in the absence of why Jesus said that. 

In the Sermon on the Mount, among other things, Jesus addressed the excesses of the Rabbis of that time period.   They had all kinds of loopholes for themselves to justify their disobedience.  They were divorcing their current wives for frivolous reasons whenever they saw a girl they would rather be married to.  

God made a concession for divorce, namely, marital unfaithfulness (Deut. 24:1-4).   If someone commits adultery, the marriage covenant is violated and annulled and divorce is valid and recognized as such by the Lord.    However, an invalid divorce means that the marriage, in God's eyes is not annulled, and the couple remains married.  So to marry someone else, while still in a valid marriage is adultery.   If the woman who is divorced remarries while still in that valid marriage she is an adulteress and the man she marries is an adulterer.  All parties are concerned, the former spouses and their new spouses are all guilty of adultery, basically.

The problem was that when a woman got divorced in ancient times, she had no rights.   She had to have a male relative take care of her if she had no husband to be married to.   And in many cases,  a woman who was no longer a virgin was what we would call, "damaged goods."  She was less desirable.   If a woman had no male relative to take of her, and could not find a husband, her choices were to either become a beggar or a prostitute.

Matt. 5:32 was a protection for women.

20 minutes ago, Justin Adams said:

You do have a way with words... and well written posts too!!

Well.....praise the Lord if it is helpful, brother.......lipstick on the pig is an old saying I have heard actually, i didn't make it up....thought it fit there pretty well.

12 minutes ago, shiloh357 said:

Matthew 5:32 is often presented in the absence of why Jesus said that. 

In the Sermon on the Mount, among other things, Jesus addressed the excesses of the Rabbis of that time period.   They had all kinds of loopholes for themselves to justify their disobedience.  They were divorcing their current wives for frivolous reasons whenever they saw a girl they would rather be married to.  

God made a concession for divorce, namely, marital unfaithfulness (Deut. 24:1-4).   If someone commits adultery, the marriage covenant is violated and annulled and divorce is valid and recognized as such by the Lord.    However, an invalid divorce means that the marriage, in God's eyes is not annulled, and the couple remains married.  So to marry someone else, while still in a valid marriage is adultery.   If the woman who is divorced remarries while still in that valid marriage she is an adulteress and the man she marries is an adulterer.  All parties are concerned, the former spouses and their new spouses are all guilty of adultery, basically.

The problem was that when a woman got divorced in ancient times, she had no rights.   She had to have a male relative take care of her if she had no husband, to be married to.   And in many cases,  a woman who was no longer a virgin was what we would call, "damaged goods."  She was less desirable.   If a woman had no male relative to take of her, and could find a husband, her choices were to either become a beggar or a prostitute.

Matt. 5:32 was a protection for women.

Amen, that is a good point........and when we think how marriage is supposed to be a picture of Christ's covenant of mercy to His bride, the church, it gives this another dimension as well.

• Group:  Mars Hill

3 hours ago, Heleadethme said:

Aside from his name and who he is.......just talking about the situation.......was he justified in marrying his mistress?  Should we attend his wedding and bless that union and congratulate him for marrying his mistress and leaving his devastated little family behind in his wake.  That situation mirrored a point you were making, and I was hoping we could see the travesty of his re-marriage, that it was a sham, just putting lipstick on the pig.....and unchristian....it only served to seal his sin.  It was hardly the fruits of repentance and yet he was received and vetted by many as having repented.  So, what would the fruits of true repentance have been?.......He would have turned away from his sin and reconciled with his wife, wouldn't he.....instead of marrying his sin, so to speak.  But he chose what his flesh lusted for instead of denying himself to follow Christ........hope we can see that is not repentance.  And hope we can also see what a deception and delusion lust is.......it really is demonic, plain and simple.......should we follow demonic feelings or should we deny them to follow Christ.

Regarding your question here, there can be many different circumstances......what a tangled mess of webs we can weave in this life.....doesn't it just go to show how God's way is the right way......and all the more if there are children involved.  How much better never to sin in the first place!   Well I don't have wisdom for every individual set of circumstances, brother, but Jesus does.  And there is one thing the Lord has taught me.......that no matter what our circumstances there is no way to follow Jesus without denying ourselves.......if we marry we still have to deny ourselves lusting and coveting others, and if we don't marry we still have to deny ourselves.  There is no escaping denying ourselves if we are His disciples, slave or free, rich or poor, married or not, we will find the call to deny ourselves will be presented to us in different ways, no matter what our circumstances are.......because that is the essence of the cross we carry, like Jesus did....denying our SELF......which means, not my will be done Father but thy will be done.  This is what crucifies our flesh/old man and is the gateway, the door, to entering the kingdom of heaven.......doing God's will and not our will.  It is called the Way, and the narrow path which leads to life.......and few there be that find it.

Well, all we can do is to look at the words of Jesus together and see if the Lord will help us to understand and apply them....going to post them to save the trouble of looking them up:

Mathew 5:31-32

It hath been said, Whosoever shall put away his wife, let him give her a writing of divorcement:

But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery.

Matthew 19:8-12

He saith unto them, Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so.

And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.

His disciples say unto him, If the case of the man be so with his wife, it is not good to marry.

But he said unto them, All men cannot receive this saying, save they to whom it is given.

For there are some eunuchs, which were so born from their mother's womb: and there are some eunuchs, which were made eunuchs of men: and there be eunuchs, which have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven's sake. He that is able to receive it, let him receive it.

Mark 10:2-12

And the Pharisees came to him, and asked him, Is it lawful for a man to put away his wife? tempting him.

And he answered and said unto them, What did Moses command you?

And they said, Moses suffered to write a bill of divorcement, and to put her away.

And Jesus answered and said unto them, For the hardness of your heart he wrote you this precept.

But from the beginning of the creation God made them male and female.

For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and cleave to his wife;

And they twain shall be one flesh: so then they are no more twain, but one flesh.

What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.

And in the house his disciples asked him again of the same matter.

And he saith unto them, Whosoever shall put away his wife, and marry another, committeth adultery against her.

And if a woman shall put away her husband, and be married to another, she committeth adultery.

Luke 16:18

Whosoever putteth away his wife, and marrieth another, committeth adultery: and whosoever marrieth her that is put away from her husband committeth adultery.

Due to the day and age we in, often people accuse the warner of being the condemer.    NOT SO.    With all the warnings by grace I have done over the years

not a one has condemned the one in the sin.       They condemn themselves  by refusal to repent.    Being condemned of their own self.

All we need to do is simply preach Christ , His sayings.   Jesus never condemned,   He warned, the ones refusing to accept condemned their own selves.

One thing I have noticed .   When one wants to feel comfortable in their error , they will go to great ends to both justify themselves and make the warner seem as the condemer.

I just say JESUS sayings.  HIS sayings.     If some are arguing against that ,   its not ME they really fighting against.   ITS the one whose sayings I bring that they are resisting.

Man has made complicated what should have been so simple a walk by always trying to find a way around THE ONE who they supposed to just follow as small children.

Me, I just simply see it the way a small child does.   IF JESUS said we do , if he said its evil , it is and we don't do it.    Simply trust obey and follow Him.  

and his sayings, his burden is easy , light ,  joy and happiness to those who simply live by the power of the Spirit and obey its unctions.  For the SPIRIT

will never lead us away FROM CHRIST ....................it reminds us of ALL things HE SAID.  to just live , and obey HIM.   the savoir.    Now how simple is that .

and not a thing he said to do,  is grievious , ITS JOY and its life and its life abundant to those who simply follow and OBEY the only ONE who did and can save them .