• Topic Count:  957
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,633
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

5 hours ago, Dennis1209 said:

I can almost feel your pain.

Not many years ago at age 62, I tried lifting one end of my 500 pound tractor tiller to position it to hook up to the tractor. Big mistake! Long story short, only two positions I could get into to relieve any of the pain, completely prone on my stomach, or prone on my back. No amount of over the counter pain relievers even took the edge off the pain. Walking to and from the bathroom I walked as a hunchback.

Fortunately, before I went to a regular M.D. to seek a remedy, and that would take eon's longer than I could bear. I went to a chiropractor a few days after my injury, and after the 1st treatment it was bearable. After a couple more treatments, almost good as new. 

A good preventive remedy for oncoming stupid-ness, especially when painting, before bending... Is to bang your head on the drywall 10 times, each time saying verbally to yourself, "DON'T BE STUPID" after each bang. To the point of breaking a hole in the dry wall. This allows you to be vertical with no bending, while you repair the drywall and ponder your coming stupidity :laugh: 

Seriously though, I much prefer going to a quack practitioner first if they can help, rather than risking the slow process of scheduling surgery and waiting in pain. Have you tried a chiropractor? 

Hi  Dennis,

Scans  of my  spine look like something from the old time Sunday comics, Alley Oop's club.

My chiropractor has known me since he was six years old and his father  was at that time my chiropractor.

Stuff happens in life, and stuff tends to have consequence. It is as simple as that. But; stupid is knowing all that, still loving the work of  physically accomplishing a task and continuing to  go for it.

I could plan, I could develop,  I could lead, and have done all that, but  the fun has  been in the getting down to it and doing on site work.  The fun is also, well stupid fun, when the risk is what it is for me. I really do not cherish bouts of screaming pains and inability to move-at all. But, then I get to planning and next thing I know I am  in the dirt demolishing, or working some project. I know better so it isn't ignorance, that seems to leave me with just stupid, and no real good excuse for that.

I know it is a privilege to still be walking, but then I think, why do I still have the privilege if I don't  use it to the max? So I have made a confession here as a bit of a self assessment.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  7,491
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

22 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

Hi  Dennis,

Scans  of my  spine look like something from the old time Sunday comics, Alley Oop's club.

My chiropractor has known me since he was six years old and his father  was at that time my chiropractor.

Stuff happens in life, and stuff tends to have consequence. It is as simple as that. But; stupid is knowing all that, still loving the work of  physically accomplishing a task and continuing to  go for it.

I could plan, I could develop,  I could lead, and have done all that, but  the fun has  been in the getting down to it and doing on site work.  The fun is also, well stupid fun, when the risk is what it is for me. I really do not cherish bouts of screaming pains and inability to move-at all. But, then I get to planning and next thing I know I am  in the dirt demolishing, or working some project. I know better so it isn't ignorance, that seems to leave me with just stupid, and no real good excuse for that.

I know it is a privilege to still be walking, but then I think, why do I still have the privilege if I don't  use it to the max? So I have made a confession here as a bit of a self assessment.

Hi Neighbor,

As you know I'm not a doctor or a counselor, but it would be in your best interest to slow down, and think things through before acting on them. I don't know how old you are, but now at 65 and I've learned the hard lessons, that I can't do what I use to do, for work or for fun. The mind says do it, but the ole body let's me know it was a mistake sometimes. We don't want to aggravate old injuries or create new ones that may last for life, if we can avoid it.  

I sincerely hope and pray you will recover and get better. It's tough for me still, to think a bit before I do something I think could cause me injury or problems. Probably as you, I was always a go getter. 

Take care and God bless.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi again,

I'm 74. I just quit my work after getting hurt on a commercial airline flight and finding I just couldn't return to full time solid effort.  I also found it was God's perfect timing, as there were a couple young family men seeking careers that were ready and very willing to take over.

Works out just perfect. Well except I wasn't emotionally ready to say  retired. I have instead said, I am unemployed at this time. I have thought about building a retreat house, but after my most recent injury on that aircraft I have decided to go for a remodeling of my old home for now while I figure out a new career for myself.  - Or not.

Right now getting to the fridge  to "inspect food supplies" is a chore almost beyond my capacity. Ha! Might make some cookies from that frozen dough if I can just get up the strength to open the oven door.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Loved it! 1

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,247
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

Sometimes it is a matter of pacing ourselves.  We need to only do so much a day and stop and relax every so often.  Sometimes stretching exercises help some people.  My mid back goes out like that. Right now I need to carry in gallons of water from my car.  So I take two at a time and make 2 trips.  The rest can wait for another day.

Perhaps it is a guy thing to want to do as much as you did when you were 20.  I don't know many men who have a lot of common sense in this area.  Thinking of late hubby and now our sons.  Hubby had 2 congenital fusions in his lower back, spondyl0listhesis with subluxation.  

• Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  7,491
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

4 minutes ago, Willa said:

Sometimes it is a matter of pacing ourselves.  We need to only do so much a day and stop and relax every so often.  Sometimes stretching exercises help some people.  My mid back goes out like that. Right now I need to carry in gallons of water from my car.  So I take two at a time and make 2 trips.  The rest can wait for another day.

Perhaps it is a guy thing to want to do as much as you did when you were 20.  I don't know many men who have a lot of common sense in this area.  Thinking of late hubby and now our sons.  Hubby had 2 congenital fusions in his lower back, spondyl0listhesis with subluxation.  

Yep, said another way and speaking strictly of myself...

When they (three to four people) light your birthday candles on top of your birthday cake, and it takes over an hour to light them, and once going, can be seen from the International Space Station. IT'S TIME TO SLOW DOWN  :laugh:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Willa said:

I guess. I had quit at 5 Pm sharp, but got to thinking I wanted to see if the trim paint for the windows  was going to be what I want it to look like or not, figured I'd do one, but hey why not do them all. So I am quitting a little before nine. Yep, it has to  be a stupidity thing. Even I know I didn't really need to get the windows done tonight. Guess I can blame " Ben " for the paint that is so good it just makes me want to spread color.

Praise God for getting me through. Think it is going to make a fine bible study library.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  22
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

If you're asking God for prayer, you don't want to say you'll never get smart concerning the things you want to stop.  That could be sabotaging your prayer, then you should maybe pray for discernment.  Maybe that will help you to stop doing the same things.  I'm doing everything I can to understand God right now, too, like I mentioned in another post.  Stop saying you'll never get smart about those things that have been difficult for you.  That's the most important part, and pray for discernment.  We all need God's discernment.   We can all benefit from Psalm 119:105.

4 hours ago, Seven tree said:

If you're asking God for prayer, you don't want to say you'll never get smart concerning the things you want to stop.  That could be sabotaging your prayer, then you should maybe pray for discernment.  Maybe that will help you to stop doing the same things.  I'm doing everything I can to understand God right now, too, like I mentioned in another post.  Stop saying you'll never get smart about those things that have been difficult for you.  That's the most important part, and pray for discernment.  We all need God's discernment.   We can all benefit from Psalm 119:105.

Hi, Yes Nun from the acrostic Psalm. Started that study about twenty two years ago under a great teacher from the local Christian College. He taught a Sunday school class at the church I was then just starting to visit. Liked the class so much I have been there ever since, even worked there  the past 14 years. We also went through a study  a year ago as part of our two year study of Psalms in the weekly Sunday morning worship services. All great  and much for application in life for sure.

What I have done is more confession than anything. Kinda hoped I will moderate the efforts, but as it is I just finished up painting  on a ceiling at midnight tonight, because I lost much of the day to a chiropractic session and want to get a good jump on this morning's effort to finish painting an apartment suite in the house.

I am slowing down, way down. Hard to adjust to  is all. After a lifetime of being fortunate enough to be active and working. To be fifth wheel , well it is uncomfortable. Thanks for the reference I went though Nun before responding.

• Followers:  32
  • Topic Count:  477
  • Topics Per Day:  0.17
  • Content Count:  6,560
  • Content Per Day:  2.27
  • Days Won:  9

You are very strong for 74 neighbour. I think that is your downfall. I hope you work smarter and not harder as they say. Your the type that likes doing things. And likes to accomplish something worthwhile. So you get to moving before thinking the consequences. But we all have made bad moves. God bless.

• Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  267
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,225
  • Content Per Day:  3.49
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

1 hour ago, Neighbor said:

Hi Neighbor,

My hubby and I read your `pain` and my hubby knows exactly what you are going through so we feel for you. Now my personal thought is that we have one area in our lives that we find hard to give over - our will. Our will is the same for all of us but I think it is highlighted in different areas in our lives. Yours seems to be `your work.` It is good to do work but unless it is given to the Lord and placed under the cross, on the altar, (do you understand that) then it will drive you. It will be your master. Whereas when we actually give that ability, or gift or whatever is our strong point to the Lord, then He becomes truly our Lord and not us.

Hope you can work that through with the Lord.

regards, Marilyn. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Brilliant! 1