• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  552
  • Content Per Day:  0.21
  • Days Won:  0

2 hours ago, Unwavering Faith said:

Clearly there have been many prominent Christians post the writing of Revelation. Just curious if there is a reason why the writing of the Bible stopped? This may be a silly question. 

Because, "It is finished."

Just as the hourglass of time ran toward Christ whom is "the Last" of those under the Old Covenant, the hourglass is then turned to run the other way until the end. Which only leaves "the other fold" which Christ brings, which are the gentiles born [again], of whom Christ is "the First." This is what is meant by His comment, that "the first shall be last, and the last first", "although the works were finished from the foundation of the world" according to Paul. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  100
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

3 minutes ago, ScottA said:

Just as the hourglass of time ran toward Christ whom is "the Last" of those under the Old Covenant, the hourglass is then turned to run the other way until the end. Which only leaves "the other fold" which Christ brings, which are the gentiles born [again], of whom Christ is "the First." This is what is meant by His comment, that "the first shall be last, and the last first", "although the works were finished from the foundation of the world" according to Paul. 

5 minutes ago, Yowm said:

Perhaps...

Long ago, at many times and in many ways, God spoke to our fathers by the prophets, but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed the heir of all things, through whom also he created the world. (Heb 1:1-2)

and

Therefore we must pay much closer attention to what we have heard, lest we drift away from it. For since the message declared by angels proved to be reliable, and every transgression or disobedience received a just retribution, how shall we escape if we neglect such a great salvation? It was declared at first by the Lord, and it was attested to us by those who heard, while God also bore witness by signs and wonders and various miracles and by gifts of the Holy Spirit distributed according to his will. For it was not to angels that God subjected the world to come, of which we are speaking.
(Heb 2:1-5)

IOW Jesus had the last and GREATEST message of all.

Yes Jesus did have the greatest message! 

3 minutes ago, ScottA said:

Thank you both for answering my question as to why the Bible writings stopped, and not assuming I am wanting to add anything to the Word of God because I don't. And I agree Scott. "It is finished" plain and simple. That makes sense.  

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  267
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,225
  • Content Per Day:  3.49
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

11 hours ago, Unwavering Faith said:

Clearly there have been many prominent Christians post the writing of Revelation. Just curious if there is a reason why the writing of the Bible stopped? This may be a silly question. 

Hi Unwavering Faith,

God`s word has been written to reveal Christ, and God`s eternal purposes through Him. We see Him foretold of in the Old Testament and then His manifestation on earth, then His working through His Body in the writings of the Apostle Paul, and finally we are given the wonderful revelation of the Lord Jesus Christ as He is known in the heavenly realms in the 4 visions in Revelation.

God does still speak today through His prophets, by prophecy, through anointed teachers and to us through a mentor, & by the Holy Spirit in our hearts.

regards, Marilyn. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,992
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,690
  • Content Per Day:  11.78
  • Days Won:  226

12 hours ago, Unwavering Faith said:

The Holy Bible has everything in it that God wants us to know.

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  958
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,646
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Hi,  Might I add  as  my own present conclusion that God has been silent for long periods of time past, as He deals with all of His creation.  When looked at chronologically, there  are periods of time between inspired of God writings.  A period of time between what is called the OT  and the NT for example.

The admonishment  not to add to this book is part of the reveal of Jesus called in English today The Book of Revelation. The admonishment not to add to the scroll , the reveal given to John, is about this book's reveal of Jesus, this scroll, it is not about the entirety of scripture even though it is used as command from God regarding all of scripture.  

What we have available is by God's design, yet  there are discoveries  from time to time of scraps of manuscript that enhance what has already been written by men transliterating the Bible into many languages, all by best efforts of scribes and scholars using best known techniques of interpretation. Those interpretations are not inspired. But the result is work that is sufficient as well as limited, by sovereign God for reveal of Jesus, when the Holy Spirit makes the word, the Bible, and the Word who is  Jesus, come to life in the heart of each person called out to be saved  from God's full wrath and eternal destruction.

There is indication within the letter to the Corinthian church that the  letters to the church at Corinth are the second and the third, not the first and the second. If the first letter were to be discovered or uncovered in some manuscript would it  be canonized and added or not?

There are references to at least two great volumes being kept  even now that will be revealed at two judgements to come. Will those reveals become part of  scripture that will be maintained  into eternity forward? There are how many seals on rolls  yet to be broken and  read at the perfect timing of God?

As has been written  " we see darkly now"... that alone it seems to me speaks of a time when there will be greater reveal to all of creation. 

The word of God, with it's many prophecies some completed and some yet to be fulfilled  are all testimony of the word of God being a living document. All of creation shouts out the glory of God. The Bible is not a stagnant work.

The Bible is a self proving  series of writings  by many individuals over very long  periods  of time, all inspired of God, and are sufficient for  the reveal of the glory of Christ Jesus by the Holy Spirit.

Ever unfolding history is documentation to all created beings that God is sovereign over all matters and  all things, past present and future. It is sufficient reveal to men of repentance from sin against God for each  person that is to be saved. It is not comprehended  without the Spirit of God.

To say the Bible stopped, well no it didn't. Instead  it lives, it shouts of  God, as prophecy unfolds through  even the millenniums of recorded time.

There has long been demand made of God to reveal more, to give more signs so that God may be known and believed, the created beings demanding of their creator show me more  prove yourself to me and then I will believe.  Jesus declared to one such very bright cluster:

And the Pharisees and Sadducees came, and to test him they asked him to show them a sign from heaven.  He answered them, “When it is evening, you say, ‘It will be fair weather, for the sky is red.’  And in the morning, ‘It will be stormy today, for the sky is red and threatening.’ You know how to interpret the appearance of the sky, but you cannot interpret the signs of the times.  An evil and adulterous generation seeks for a sign, but no sign will be given to it except the sign of Jonah.” So he left them and departed.

When the disciples reached the other side, they had forgotten to bring any bread.  Jesus said to them, “Watch and beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and Sadducees.”  And they began discussing it among themselves, saying, “We brought no bread.”  But Jesus, aware of this, said, “O you of little faith, why are you discussing among yourselves the fact that you have no bread?  Do you not yet perceive? Do you not remember the five loaves for the five thousand, and how many baskets you gathered?  Or the seven loaves for the four thousand, and how many baskets you gathered?  How is it that you fail to understand that I did not speak about bread? Beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and Sadducees.” Then they understood that he did not tell them to beware of the leaven of bread, but of the teaching of the Pharisees and Sadducees.

The Bible is still being wrtten in all the universes. Yet it has always been sufficient  for the reveal of Jesus, so that many might be saved by God's mercy and grace alone.

We live in such a time of signs being fulfilled, how can it be thought by any saint having the indwelling  of God the Holy Spirit that the Bible is fully written, is stagnant, and is complete for all matters of all sorts and kinds to come? It is the Red Thread of Redemption, the reveal of Jesus who is Lord God and savior of all those given to Him by God the Father. Jesus does not lose a one. That is being written recorded in action, by fullfilment of divine prophecy, even now. Look up, be humble in the knowledge given that God is providing  salvation for many. Be humble, become broken of rebellion against God. Hear and heed the Holy spirit, turn to God declaring Jesus is Lord of lords and King of kings,  if not having already done so. 

Praise God for His word sufficient and inspired, for the declaration of the lordship of Jesus. It cries out even as the rocks will if men do not cry out themselves in testimony of the awesome power of God over all things and all matters.

• This is Worthy 1

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  151
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  3,149
  • Content Per Day:  1.05

13 hours ago, Marilyn C said:

God does still speak today through His prophets, by prophecy, through anointed teachers and to us through a mentor, & by the Holy Spirit in our hearts.

hello Marilyn a question for you! i read somewhere that if you add or takeaway from God's word....surely these prophets are adding to God's word

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  108
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,824
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

The very last words of the Bible.....Revelation 22:18-21.....are specific to the revelation of Jesus Christ and his prophecies in that particular book scribed by John.  There are definite plagues listed in the book of Revelation and they are gross and dire.

However, I believe that the principle, without the plagues of course, could be blanketed for the whole Bible.

Brothers and sisters, let this be a warning for us ..... all of us who believe we have always quoted the Bible correctly, taught it correctly, interpreted it correctly, and cited it correctly.

We haven't.  Don't come here and try to tell me that we have.  It scares me when I realize in my Sunday School class or Thursday night Bible study class or in my former Christian school Bible classes and chapel that I might have said something wrong.

Am I worried about the plagues of Revelation?  No.  But I am more and more and more determined to study to show myself approved before I speak, write, or teach.

Everyone wants to be counted with the scholars and as a scholar.  There is far too much copying and pasting or revising someone else's words and claiming them to be our own on the internet and in classes trying to pass ourselves off as scholarly.  

It doesn't matter is someone is awed by your words - what matters is that you spoke the truth of the Bible.  And as you see, there are MULTITUDES of "truths" just on this forum alone.  I am on three forums - and it's the same everywhere.

The plagues and and loss of the share of the tree of life is for those who purposely mar the prophecies of Christ in the book of Revelation.  

But the rest of us, who aren't going to purposely do that, need to be aware of how we handle God's Word and how we teach God's Word to others.  We can do serious damage when we teach what is NOT the truth.

"I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: if anyone adds to them, God will add to him the plagues described in this book, and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God will take away his share in the tree of life and in the holy city, which are described in this book.  He who testifies to these things says, “Surely I am coming soon.” Amen. Come, Lord Jesus!  The grace of the Lord Jesus be with all. Amen."  Revelation 22:18-21

3 hours ago, existential mabel said:

hello Marilyn a question for you! i read somewhere that if you add or takeaway from God's word....surely these prophets are adding to God's word

Hi mabel,

Good thought there sis. False prophets add or take away from God`s word while a true prophets will `expound` upon God`s word, - encourage, exhort and edify the listener. I was brought up with prophets and prophecy and always remember that the words spoken lifted up the Lord or expounded some aspect of the Lord, His character.

Most so called prophecies today are like `fortune telling,` or strange ideas, from someone`s imagination. 

Beware - let`s always remember that - `the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.` (Rev. 19: 10)

all the best, Marilyn.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  151
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  3,149
  • Content Per Day:  1.05

22 hours ago, Marilyn C said:

Hi mabel,

Good thought there sis. False prophets add or take away from God`s word while a true prophets will `expound` upon God`s word, - encourage, exhort and edify the listener. I was brought up with prophets and prophecy and always remember that the words spoken lifted up the Lord or expounded some aspect of the Lord, His character.

Most so called prophecies today are like `fortune telling,` or strange ideas, from someone`s imagination. 

Beware - let`s always remember that - `the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.` (Rev. 19: 10)

all the best, Marilyn.

ah so we need to know the bible very well to spot the false ones.... prophets that is

• Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, existential mabel said:

ah so we need to know the bible very well to spot the false ones.... prophets that is

So true mabel. God`s word reveals the Lord`s true character and purposes. When you truly KNOW some one then you know their voice. These so called prophets (false) have the wrong voice.  

Marilyn.