turtletwo

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  1,192
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  7,264
  • Content Per Day:  1.18
  • Days Won:  194

Has anyone experienced a family member being in Long Term Acute Care Hospitals? If so, please share if they are effective. My mom has brain damage from a cardiac arrest and is in need of an LTAC to transition out of the hospital into. (She is on life support for the last 11 days, but her insurance will only pay for a short term stay at the regular hospital ICU.) Could you tell me of your personal experience with LTAC please? I ask your prayers...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,000
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  12/08/1950

Praying turtletwo.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  32
  • Topic Count:  478
  • Topics Per Day:  0.17
  • Content Count:  6,565
  • Content Per Day:  2.27
  • Days Won:  9

I am praying for your situation. I don't have any information.  Sorry I don't. But God can lead you to a good one. Still praying for your Mom.

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  349
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,506
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

No info here either. Praying for you turtletwo and God bless you and your family.

• Topic Count:  958
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,672
  • Content Per Day:  5.04
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

On 3/20/2018 at 4:07 AM, turtletwo said:

Has anyone experienced a family member being in Long Term Acute Care Hospitals? If so, please share if they are effective. My mom has brain damage from a cardiac arrest and is in need of an LTAC to transition out of the hospital into. (She is on life support for the last 11 days, but her insurance will only pay for a short term stay at the regular hospital ICU.) Could you tell me of your personal experience with LTAC please? I ask your prayers...

First my prayer is with you before our creator.

I guess I have experience of a sort anyway.

Note: All of this is what I experienced, it is not anything that you may be facing at all.

My aunt suffered a massive stroke the night my wife died at hospice. She was there and stroked as my wife died. She was then in an out of hospitals,  care facilities hospitals home  hospital care facilities, even as her husband began to also fail. So we had both of them in and out of hospitals and home care. Even as 2800 miles away  we had my mother with 24/7 home care and my sister had a family member, an inlaw, in and out of  assisted living places. Point is we spend a lot of time on the issue of care.

My understanding is that  long term care "coverage" has term limits! One can get long term care, but not necessarily the insurance to cover it long term. There are just so many days per year of care for each "event" covered under insurance  (SS or otherwise). The separate medical  events and long term care tends to get lumped together and the time of care insurance expires and out on the street ya go. Unless you can pay out of pocket $7,000 to $15,000 a month. By comparison we found 24/7 in home care cost about $16,000 a month.

I'm going to be brutal  here; with extended care facility availability the nightmare does not end, that's when you find out you have only been living the preface to the real battle for care to come.

The places though staffed with nice people, are absolute horrors. Two to a room at least, and full of bad stuff going about, mersa various staff infections, and such, so that the very sick get  even sicker.  You think the time you have spent in the hospital is tough, wait until you spend hours trying to sit at one of those extended care facilities. 

And if Social Security or  an SS advantage  insurance is involved, oh the hassles even if you have the money to pay the difference for better care. They don't "let" you, for rules are rules.

In each case, we have ended up with care at home with help hired to cover many hours, and then 24/7 seven days a week. Boy does that burn cash!  Few can do that for long.

This is a nightmare, no way around that assessment far as I have experienced to date. Been involved with these family  needs  since about 1984. It is just part of me now. Joke is- I'm "next!". I am now the old geezer of the family.

Again, sorry for the plight you and your mom are facing. I do pray for your strength as this horror is faced down.

• Topic Count:  958
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,672
  • Content Per Day:  5.04
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Also,  in the USA do have a talk with  counselors from Hospice and Empath! Call them, learn about them now if you don't already know. And if you do know talk to them anyway, get an update on them!

Learn early on how the transition gets made to their services.

That transfer of authority isn't easy to accomplish though they are good at making it happen for you. I am afraid that it is hard to get  the primary physician to authorize it once that primary is part of the long term care facility. Once the battle to get over to empath and or hospice I have found the care to be outstanding, and such an emotional relief for family too.

And it is true that  you will never see a bill from hospice. Those people are real heroes. They are on my own small list of entities to support.

Have utilized hospice three times now in two States. They have counseled, comforted ran errands, tended in my home full shifts so that we could get some sleep, provided pain meds in the middle of the night,  provided hospital beds, been to the emergency room with us to assist  transfer to their care, arranged ambulances, and given the most wonderful of hospice facility care with the goal of controling pain.

I praise God for their compassion and excellent service.