LadyKay

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.93
  • Days Won:  3

“Is any among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord; and the prayer of faith shall save him that is sick, and the Lord shall raise him up” James. 5:14, 15

The Bible says that if anyone is sick, then they should call for the elders of the church to pray and be anointed with oil. We do this in my church. But sometimes the person who is sick is not in the service. So someone will come up and asked to be anointed for them in their place. I have always wonder if that works the same? Can you sit in for someone else and be anointed in their place if they are not there? I really don't know if it means the same or not? Thoughts Please. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  952
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,573
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

a scapegoat of a kind, eh?

And still all die. So what kind of healing is this anointing?

Might work for salvation,  in fact propitiation is what I am depending upon to cover the sins that separate me from God; however a cold is a cold and seven days at rest will heal it.

All flesh dies,  including every one of the elders, deacons pastors and lay persons, many from great illness some saved, some not. Prayer hankie or not, all flesh suffers illness, death putrefaction and decay, except  but one or maybe two, till a day of completion approved by God the Father comes. Then many living will be lifted, and many of the dead too.

• Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,399
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  1

14 hours ago, LadyKay said:

“Is any among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord; and the prayer of faith shall save him that is sick, and the Lord shall raise him up” James. 5:14, 15

The Bible says that if anyone is sick, then they should call for the elders of the church to pray and be anointed with oil. We do this in my church. But sometimes the person who is sick is not in the service. So someone will come up and asked to be anointed for them in their place. I have always wonder if that works the same? Can you sit in for someone else and be anointed in their place if they are not there? I really don't know if it means the same or not? Thoughts Please. 

There is nothing in the Bible supporting such a practice.. Sounds like a tradition someone started and others probably thought why not.. 

I think it is best to stay within the confines that our Sheppard has guided us to be..

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,189
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

We have to be careful of voodoo like thinking... anything of this creation holds no power to do anything! The oil is a soothing element to the flesh that is suffering ~kind of like the James passage

James 2:15-17
15 If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food,
16 And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit?
17 Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.
KJV

and the prayer is baseline reality of delivering to God that which is already God's- for His consideration in line with our hearts that looks to Him for the perfect Will be done...
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  24
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Content Count:  1,459
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  2

17 hours ago, LadyKay said:

During Jesus' ministry, some of the recorded miracles were when people came to Him to ask for someone who was not present there.   The centurion's servant and the Syrophoenician woman's daughter come to mind.   When Paul was in Ephesus (Acts 19:12) , handkerchiefs and aprons which touched Paul healed those who were not there.

From these examples, it seems like God at times works through those who ask in someone's stead.  My sense of things is that the guiding principle is faith.   The woman who was healed of the flow of blood had her faith in touching part of Jesus' robe and didn't even directly ask him.   Rather than rebuking her for "doing it wrong" and not asking Him directly, He blessed her and sent her off in peace.   

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  123
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/22/1988

@LadyKay 

I believe God speaks to us and tells us when to pray about what. When we pray His Will, we pray truth and miracles happen. So if someone takes a stand in someone’s else place, not because of their own will but because they were prompted by the Holy Spirit, I believe they will be healed. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  54
  • Content Count:  2,428
  • Content Per Day:  0.88
  • Days Won:  0

31 minutes ago, Chi said:

@LadyKay 

I believe God speaks to us and tells us when to pray about what. When we pray His Will, we pray truth and miracles happen. So if someone takes a stand in someone’s else place, not because of their own will but because they were prompted by the Holy Spirit, I believe they will be healed. 

Yes, I mean God knows the heart and  intention of every believer.  If what is done is with the purpose directed to the person in need ,then I personally see nothing wrong with that.  Many may be skeptical of healing and intercessory prayer, but God is always on the throne and his will would be accomplished no matter what detractors and naysayers thumb at.   It does not mean we are commanding anything, but by prayer and supplication let our request be known and leave it in the hand of the mighty one.   Those who have experienced spiritual warfare would know, that there are many battle scars, but also knew who was at the forefront of the battles when we came out.  

Just two months ago, I thought I really was not going to see another birthday, but it has come and gone and could only say thank God for hearing my prayer and I knew people far far away was praying for me.  

Edited by warrior12
  • Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  24
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Content Count:  1,459
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  2

A big part of the debate on this issue comes down to whether or not an individual Christian believes that God heals today or not, and if it is a common or uncommon occurrence if He does.  For one who believes that the Bible teaches healing and other such miracles ceased (or became very rare) after the time of the apostles, they also likely believe that any church or individual that considers it common practice is dabbling in the occult.   For one who believes that God does heal today as an ongoing part of ministry, it becomes how does God want them to do it as a matter of faith and practice.

I often find it difficult to figure out whether someone is saying "God doesn't heal (much or at all) today so things related to healing are often occult based" versus "God does heal today but not in a particular crazy way someone claims it is happening."  In the one case, they are saying stay away from anything having to do with it.  In the other, they are saying figure out what you are supposed to be doing.

1 hour ago, Davida said:

Voodo is correct - this is referred to as a version of "distant healing " in the  energy healing circles .  Christians need to stick with what is written in the scripture and not go off making up their own formulas.  

I'm sorry but how would this be voodo? It's in the Bible right? I don't understand?

1 hour ago, Davida said:

That is making very big assumptions that 1.  someone is lead by the Holy Spirit in the first place and 2. that they are lead by the Holy Spirit to ignore what was written in the scripture  and 3.  told do something else.  Why would the elders not do home visits? 

Personally, I would not be a part of any church that makes stuff up as they go along- claiming that they are being "told" that guidance in prayer.  I've seen way to much of this happening prior to being a Christian when I was in spiritual communities so it raises big flags to me,  and since becoming a born again Christian in some Christian assemblies, I've witnessed that some mysticsm/new age type practices have crossed over into some churches. 

Well I certainly don't want to be guilty of voodo or new age practices. :o     Though I am confused as to how this practice would fall into that  category.  But I am sure someone will explain it all to me.