• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  165
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  1.56
  • Days Won:  15

2 minutes ago, Michael37 said:

You are a bit hasty with your assertion, Blood Bought 1953. There are these verses:

2Co 7:9-10 (KJV)  Now I rejoice, not that ye were made sorry, but that ye sorrowed to repentance: for ye were made sorry after a godly manner, that ye might receive damage by us in nothing. For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death. 
Heb 6:1-3 (KJV)
(1)  Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God,
(2)  Of the doctrine of baptisms, and of laying on of hands, and of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment.
(3)  And this will we do, if God permit.

Preach it brother! Repentence is part of our conversion and we continue to repent, "I discipline those I love, so be zealous and repent." (Revelation 3:19). Forgiveness is there like fountain, a fountain of Jesus' endless blood (1 John 2:1-4), but part of our relationship with Christ is we repent, which is to have "broken and contrite heart," and "to turn from it," and fix our eyes on Jesus (Hebrews 12:2).

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.88
  • Days Won:  5

13 hours ago, Cletus said:

It is true that our own righteousness cant save us, but for some odd reason i keep hearing repentance is to just change your mind(yes, i read the definition).  Jesus never told anyone to go and change your mind.  He said, Go and sin no more.  And the thing is if we change our minds, we will change what we do.  As can be seen in 2 chron. 7:14  If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.   Now not to long ago that was the buzz scripture in America.  It was the call to all believers that our country was in big trouble and we need to pray and TURN from our wicked ways.  In a nutshell... Your sin... your fence riding has got your here and this is the formula to change it. 

It is true only Jesus can cleanse us, as seen in Acts3:19 Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord.

And Thank God for that. 

But the truth remains, if all we do is think, if all we do is change our minds we have not done all it says in scripture, which is to turn.  We have to want it.  Its when we change our minds that we not only agree with God and His ways, and His standard on how we are to live, but we confess our sin to Him and acknowledge we have sinned and we know it is sin... and then, we ask Him to cleanse us from ALL unrighteousness. 

I say this because if a babe in Christ reads what you wrote as well as many others write on this site, ...oh  just got to change my mind, they may not know they got to Go to God.  1 John 1:9  If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.   They may not know the other parts of scripture that do say turn from it, and there is more than i pointed out.  Half truths can be very damaging for a babe in Christ, just as much as an outright false teaching. 

And just to be clear  the word "turn" in 2 chronicles 7:14 is this:

שׁוּב
shûb
shoob
A primitive root; to turn back (hence, away) transitively or intransitively, literally or figuratively (not necessarily with the idea of return to the starting point); generally to retreat; often adverbially again: -  ([break, build, circumcise, dig, do anything, do evil, feed, lay down, lie down, lodge, make, rejoice, send, take, weep]) X again, (cause to) answer (+ again), X in any case (wise), X at all, averse, bring (again, back, home again), call [to mind], carry again (back), cease, X certainly, come again (back) X consider, + continually, convert, deliver (again), + deny, draw back, fetch home again, X fro, get [oneself] (back) again, X give (again), go again (back, home), [go] out, hinder, let, [see] more, X needs, be past, X pay, pervert, pull in again, put (again, up again), recall, recompense, recover, refresh, relieve, render (again), X repent, requite, rescue, restore, retrieve, (cause to, make to) return, reverse, reward, + say nay, send back, set again, slide back, still, X surely, take back (off), (cause to, make to) turn (again, self again, away, back, back again, backward, from, off), withdraw.

No where in this definition does it speak about changing your mind.  I tell you of a certainty repentance is not simply changing your mind.  You have to drop it, turn away, and not return.  returning is called backslidding. 

edit:  After a brief recess of prayer and meditation, i do believe God has give me the words to better explain what i mean.  Repentance is not just in your mind.  God commands we love Him with not only our mind but our heart too.  the turning is in the heart.  if we only change our mind we have not turned our heart from sin.  our heart must be turned to Him, and its then when He cleanses us.  If we only change our mind and say i have sinned forgive me, we may not be cleansed to be able to walk clean.  but when our heart desires it God then sweeps the house clean. 

Thank you for your thoughtful, intelligent response......it’s late here and I am getting too sleepy to respond....God willing, I’ll get back to this tomorrow......zzzzzzzzzzzzz

On 8/7/2018 at 10:46 PM, Fidei Defensor said:

Preach it brother! Repentence is part of our conversion and we continue to repent, "I discipline those I love, so be zealous and repent." (Revelation 3:19). Forgiveness is there like fountain, a fountain of Jesus' endless blood (1 John 2:1-4), but part of our relationship with Christ is we repent, which is to have "broken and contrite heart," and "to turn from it," and fix our eyes on Jesus (Hebrews 12:2).

I agree completely.If a person does not repent he is not saved.Repentance is built- in to Paul’s Gospel thAt SAVES if merely BELIEVED.That saving Gospel has two parts.....the first part says we must BELIEVE that Jesus died for our sins.That means you admit you are a sinner that has to have Jesus to die for his sins because Jesus alone can do it.One has essentially shown that  his mouth has been shut by the law and he has thrown off the self-righteousness that had him convinced he was going to do things his way—- not God’s way.That is evidence of a “ broken and contrite” heart”. All that is left for this man to say is , “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me a sinner!” THAT is repentance ! I will stand on what I said previously. NOWHERE in the KJV dies it say we have to repent of all of our sins to be saved.The Holy Spirit in us AFTER  we have changed our mind about who we are and SIMPLY BELIEVE that Christ rose from the dead will take up the task of cleaning up the inside of the cup-something   No man can do.The Holy Spirit will finish the work He started, if we will let Him.Why not trust that Spirit to do it? After all , had He not first softened the heart to prepare one for the Truth of repentance and receiving the Gospel, everything else would have been moot.May God  bless us all in our understanding of His Word.

Edited by Blood Bought 1953

19 minutes ago, Blood Bought 1953 said:

I agree completely.If a person does not repent he is not saved.Repentance is built- in to Paul’s Gospel thAt SAVES if merely BELIEVED.That saving Gospel has two parts.....the first part says we must BELIEVE that Jesus died for our sins.That means you admit you are a sinner that has to have Jesus to die for his sins because Jesus alone can do it.One has essentially shown that  his mouth has been shut by the law and he has thrown off the self-righteousness that had him convinced he was going to do things his way—- not God’s way.That is evidence of a “ broken and contrite” heart”. All that is left for this man to say is , “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me a sinner!” THAT is repentance ! I will stand on what I said previously. NOWHERE in the KJV dies it say we have to repent of all of our sins to be saved.The Holy Spirit in us AFTER  we have changed our mind about who we are and SIMPLY BELIEVE that Christ rose from the dead will take up the task of cleaning up the inside of the cup-something   No man can do.The Holy Spirit will finish the work He started, if we will let Him.Why not trust that Spirit to do it? After all , had He not first softened the heart to prepare one for the Truth of repentance and receiving the Gospel, everything else would have been moot.May God  bless us all in our understanding of His Word.

Cletus.....I hope my post to Fidei  sufficed to answer your concerns with my thinking in regard to repentance.Let me know if I can straighten you out in the future.That last line was just a little joke.....lol. God bless .