• Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,459
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  2

4 hours ago, Fidei Defensor said:

[edited for space]

Anyone else feel as I do about this?

I've got similar feelings related to the old adage, "don't eat the menu".     Being a Christian is about the very real things the God does in us and those around us.  Often we get more concerned about explaining how and why God does things than about if He is actually doing things in our lives.  When our attention focuses on what  *things* (e.g. facts, statements, beliefs) we should hold to and away from *Who* we should believe, I think we to some degree hinder our spiritual growth.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 2

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  65
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,568
  • Content Per Day:  1.39
  • Days Won:  7

7 hours ago, Fidei Defensor said:

I was recently having conversation in another thread and it made me want to open a discussion. While I do enjoy studying academics of Church History and getting into the depths of doctrine, I do feel prodded by Jesus' words, "You have forgotten your first love: you do not love me and one another as you did at first. Go back and do the works you did at first." (Revelation 2:4-5). Then the Apostle Paul urges a similar warning, "I fear like Eve you will be deceived by the serpent from a pure and simple devotion to Christ." (2 Corinthians 11:2). While I am not against deeper knowledge in the Lord (2 Corinthians 1:4-11), and "you ought to be teachers by now, but you need to be fed milk like children, and be tought the rudementry things of the faith." (Hebrews 5:12-14). Stil the Apostle Paul came to this place of maturiy, "I count all things lost compared with the infinite value of knowing (ginosko) Christ Jesus, for whom I have discarded all things, counting them as garbage (in the Greek bloody wrags of woman's cycle), so that I may gain Christ. All who are mature in faith should accept this, and anyone who does not I believe the Lord will show you." (Philippians 3:8, 15).

Then there is obvious, "fixing our eyes on Jesus Christ the author and perfector of our faith. For the joy set before Him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at right hand of the throne of God." (Hebrews 12:2)

I am not saying you can't be learned. The point is to keep your eyes fixed on Jesus, from whom flows all wisdom and knowledge (Colossians 2:2-3). The point is the deeper things are in Christ, not apart from Him. Everything in this world and the kingdom of darkness wants to take our eyes of Jesus.

I think that we can so easily become distracted and need to intentionally take the time to focus. 

I tend to feel that for many going to church is something that we check off our list of things to do. But in reality our everyday life should be focused on Christ.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 2

• Followers:  65
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,568
  • Content Per Day:  1.39
  • Days Won:  7

2 hours ago, GandalfTheWise said:

I've got similar feelings related to the old adage, "don't eat the menu".     Being a Christian is about the very real things the God does in us and those around us.  Often we get more concerned about explaining how and why God does things than about if He is actually doing things in our lives.  When our attention focuses on what  *things* (e.g. facts, statements, beliefs) we should hold to and away from *Who* we should believe, I think we to some degree hinder our spiritual growth.

So true. As followers of Christ we tend to pick and choose what we want to have, like choosing food from a buffet. 

I have often told my husband that there are so many details that we can focus on and argue over. But, when it comes down to it, "Do we love the Lord?" and "Are we ready to meet Him?" None of us know when that time will be. 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.33
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

8 hours ago, Fidei Defensor said:

I was recently having conversation in another thread and it made me want to open a discussion. While I do enjoy studying academics of Church History and getting into the depths of doctrine, I do feel prodded by Jesus' words, "You have forgotten your first love: you do not love me and one another as you did at first. Go back and do the works you did at first." (Revelation 2:4-5). Then the Apostle Paul urges a similar warning, "I fear like Eve you will be deceived by the serpent from a pure and simple devotion to Christ." (2 Corinthians 11:2). While I am not against deeper knowledge in the Lord (2 Corinthians 1:4-11), and "you ought to be teachers by now, but you need to be fed milk like children, and be tought the rudementry things of the faith." (Hebrews 5:12-14). Stil the Apostle Paul came to this place of maturiy, "I count all things lost compared with the infinite value of knowing (ginosko) Christ Jesus, for whom I have discarded all things, counting them as garbage (in the Greek bloody wrags of woman's cycle), so that I may gain Christ. All who are mature in faith should accept this, and anyone who does not I believe the Lord will show you." (Philippians 3:8, 15).

Then there is obvious, "fixing our eyes on Jesus Christ the author and perfector of our faith. For the joy set before Him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at right hand of the throne of God." (Hebrews 12:2)

I am not saying you can't be learned. The point is to keep your eyes fixed on Jesus, from whom flows all wisdom and knowledge (Colossians 2:2-3). The point is the deeper things are in Christ, not apart from Him. Everything in this world and the kingdom of darkness wants to take our eyes of Jesus.

The one thing by grace I learned and am learning ,   is if we simply keep refreshed in the bible daily , just reading it ,  always being stirred up BY the SPIRIT

as we read THAT BIBLE ,   it just keeps us sharp .   The focus HAS to be ON CHRIST and remain on HIM , or everything just will fall apart .

The first love is what Is dire and it will KEEP us focused on all the rest of the things , warnings , remniders and so on .  But if the first love fades

then it wont matter if we even doing the GOOD THINGS ,   

WHEN its all about CHRIST , and I mean the CHRIST of the BIBLE , HIS SAYINGS , then know and understand that GRACE DID THAT , so no man can boast

but we need to be on guard , because lusts can choke that out .

Notice its called the FIRST LOVE , the LOVE YOU HAD AT FIRST .  WHEN IT WAS ALL ABOUT learning JESUS and just rejoicing in HIS EVERY WORD

when the word was light and easy and not a single saying was griveoius , but joyful .

WATCH OUT for men ,  who will twist HIS sayings .    LOVE has everything to do WITH LOVING JESUS above all things  ,  even wife , son daughter ,  husband

and so on .  YOU have that LOVE shed by Grace on the heart , THEN YOU DO HAVE THE REAL LOVE that THEN sees clearly how to  pull the speck from any eye.

FOR THAT LOVE has CLEARED THE EYES and that one can SEE CLEARLY . HIS HEART is ABOVE , HIS HOPE IS ABOVE , HIS TREASURE IS ABOVE

and no matter what threat , no matter what loss, no matter what suffering , no matter what persecution ,  They cannot be moved off course .

I encourage everyone today to start afresh and anew and read THAT bible and learn .    and watch the pure joy of KNOWING HIM wash over you

and what a work of grace .      But let no man sway you off course with idle words , with lusts , with twisting or omitting ANY saying OF JESUS .

Not all understand how very true it is ,    THAT Not a single saying of JESUS is heavey ,   not even my not able to be remarried .  I have been single

and yet I GOT ALL JOY .  HIS SAYINGS are meat and wholesome words,   and oh how light is HIS YOKE how easy his burden.

ITS JOY ,  IT IS the abundant life .   IT IS . 

• Praise God! 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.33
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

YES indeed the LORD is reminding us ,   RETURN , RETURN , RETURN to the LOVE you had at first .   WHEN ALL was about KNOWING GOD

and the only way to KNOW HIM , is truly IN THE SON .  LEARN CHRIST , so feast on them bibles .

THE JOY will return , the peace will return ,   IT IS the abundant life that is profitable in this life and the world to come .

WE must hurry ,  for a seriously bad delusion has also began and it is truly sweeping and taking many now .

And if we aint built up IN CHRIST , and sound biblical doctrine DOES make us wise unto salvation , if we aint built up in HIM but are letting things slip

We wont make it .   We have to keep our eye SINGLE , meaning HEAVENLY , above on HIM .   and their is no mathematical solution to this .

ITS SIMPLE ,  start over , read only the bible ,  seek him with the WHOLE heart , for no other reason that to learn of HIM and walk pleasing in HIS sight by faith .

JUST the desire to know him in all times good or bad .   WE must start afresh , we must keep exhorting daily and pointing ONLY to CHRIST .

• Loved it! 1

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,102
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  11/07/1984

When I was in Bible College many of the students would trade their devotional life for academics and burn out. It broke my heart, in the chapel there was a prayer journal that students would add their prayers and most of the prayers in there were God, "I'm struggling to believe in you, I don't see you moving in my life, I don't believe in prayer anymore, etc" Some students would get their degrees and then walk away from Christianity all together. It is not enough to know about God. We need to know Him.

John 5:39 You search the Scriptures, for in them you think you have eternal life; and these are they which testify of Me.

We are to love Him and worship Him with all our hearts. It's a relationship. The word of God gives us the foundation to grow in that relationship but it is the Spirit that brings life to it and makes it alive and real in our lives.

John 17:3 And this is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent.

• Thanks 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  165
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  1.56
  • Days Won:  15

7 hours ago, Annette said:

So true. As followers of Christ we tend to pick and choose what we want to have, like choosing food from a buffet. 

I have often told my husband that there are so many details that we can focus on and argue over. But, when it comes down to it, "Do we love the Lord?" and "Are we ready to meet Him?" None of us know when that time will be. 

Amen! We get distracted by the outer circles of the bullseye, good things like intercession, deliverance, gifts, end times and etc; but the bullseye is Jesus Christ. :) 

• Praise God! 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  194
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  0

@Fidei Defensor Agreed with your sentiment.  Jesus is first and foremost, while everything else comes from Him.  We can do lots of things, like ministries and preaching the gospel, but even back in the first century, some did them for pride, recognition, etc., instead of for the love of Christ.  The likes of Abraham, Moses, David, Daniel, and Jesus Himself spent time to draw near to God when they had time.  That's what He treasures most from us and how we can build a healthy relationship with Him.

• This is Worthy 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  165
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  1.56
  • Days Won:  15

2 minutes ago, John_Leung said:

@Fidei Defensor Agreed with your sentiment.  Jesus is first and foremost, while everything else comes from Him.  We can do lots of things, like ministries and preaching the gospel, but even back in the first century, some did them for pride, recognition, etc., instead of for the love of Christ.  The likes of Abraham, Moses, David, Daniel, and Jesus Himself spent time to draw near to God when they had time.  That's what He treasures most from us and how we can build a healthy relationship with Him.

Indeed, Seek First the Kingdom (Matthew 6:33), which means the King and Lord God Jesus, “Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind, and with all your strength. This is chief and greatest commandment.” (Matthew 22:37-38). And Jesus is the Lord (Romans 10:9, Phillipians 2:1-12 NLT) and Oke with Father and Holy Spirit. 

Our tendency is to get focus on good things instead of God. Add one o and you lose sight of the most important thing, the Lord and your relationship with Him. 

• Thanks 1