• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,058
  • Content Per Day:  0.41
  • Days Won:  5

Hello @Neighbor,

I have just realized the significance of your user-name.  We are to love our neighbour as ourselves, aren't we? and love does no ill to it's neighbour (Rom.13:10), and the question, 'Who is my meighbour?  - resulted in the parable of the good Samaritan  (Luke 10:29-37).  A word search on the word 'neighbour' is an interesting study.

I thank you for those thoughts produced by your name.

Have a happy holiday.
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Edited by Christine
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  952
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,573
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Hi all, I need to get some sleep I am envisioning Romans 8 as might be sung by the McQuire Sisters "Beat Me daddy, eight beats to the bar." ( See You Tube if you are under 74 and never listened to your parents 78's). Ah swinging to Jeremiah, lament lament lament, trombones sliding the scale.

Anyway looking forward to some examples guess I'll make a search -

Edited by Neighbor
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  1,192
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  7,264
  • Content Per Day:  1.18
  • Days Won:  194

17 minutes ago, SisterActs2 said:

Hello friends

We have quite a few of these little "Scripture in Song" booklets published in New Zealand and Australia, and distributed to a lot of other countries.  Book One, of Songs of Praise, revised edition, was published in 1981/ 1983.  They are a compilation of songs taken from Psalms and other scripture and put to music.  David and Dale Garratt were instrumental in putting the booklets together, and people such as myself sang lots of "choruses" as we started our Christian lives.  I love these choruses; most people know these songs from church to church.  Sorry if I have repeated some information already given.  I just randomly chose this one:

How lovely are they dwelling places

My soul longs for the courts of the Lord

My heart and my flesh

Sing for joy to the living God

You are my King and my God.

AMEN!

I've not heard of David and Dale Garrett before. Thanks for the info. I look forward to checking them out. I just went over to YouTube and see they are on there. :) Look good.

• Praise God! 1

4 hours ago, Christine said:

https://youtu.be/H5ZRHQ1OQbk
https://youtu.be/ruAll_8tXi8

Hello @turtletwo,

These little songs introduce the Word of God to children.

Singing the Word itself is better than singing a hymn that is not reflective of the truth, though there are many that are wonderful.

* I heard that many hymns were written for the spinners and weavers, many working from home, who would sing along to the rhythm of the wheel and shuttle, to keep their minds on things above.

* There was a song I heard in my early adult life, where daily tasks were done to the glory of God, such as,

'Washing the dishes Lord,
washing the dishes
Living for your glory
washing the dishes

* Thereby every action was done in the name of the Lord and for His glory.

‘Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; 
teaching and admonishing one another 
in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, 
singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord. 
And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, 
do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, 
giving thanks to God and the Father by Him.’

(Col 3:16-17)  

* However, when singing the Word itself, it must be Truth that is relative, which, with respect Psalm 51:10, quoted earlier, is not.  David could sing, '... take not Thy Holy Spirit from me', for the Holy Spirit had been given to him for a specific purpose and could be taken away, as it had from Saul before him.  That is not so for you and I who believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, for the Holy Spirit will never be taken from us, in Christ Jesus: so to sing it would be a denial of that wonderful truth.

Praise God!

In Christ Jesus

Chris

Thanks for the link. The children's songs are very nice. As you pointed out, it is a good way to teach them the Scriptures. Maybe some parents out there will read this and check them out.

Another good one won the GMA in 1991 for Children's Music Album of the Year: "Hide 'Em In Your Heart" It's by Steve Green. 

I personally enjoy hearing children sing and will listen to such recordings myself. I'm guess you could say I'm just a big kid at heart. :laugh:

Edited by turtletwo
added to it
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

There is an Australian band devoted to putting the psalms to music who have made over half a dozen cds. Here is some info on them:

Sons of Korah are a Christian band founded in 1994 in Geelong, Victoria, Australia. They take their name from the biblical family of the same name. They are known for their work in putting Psalms to music. The lyrics for their songs are taken almost verbatim from the book of Psalms. As of 2014, the band has interpreted over 50 of the 150 Psalms into songs.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  24
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,459
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  2

2 hours ago, SisterActs2 said:

Hello friends

We have quite a few of these little "Scripture in Song" booklets published in New Zealand and Australia, and distributed to a lot of other countries.  Book One, of Songs of Praise, revised edition, was published in 1981/ 1983.  They are a compilation of songs taken from Psalms and other scripture and put to music.  David and Dale Garratt were instrumental in putting the booklets together, and people such as myself sang lots of "choruses" as we started our Christian lives.  I love these choruses; most people know these songs from church to church.  Sorry if I have repeated some information already given.  I just randomly chose this one:

How lovely are they dwelling places

My soul longs for the courts of the Lord

My heart and my flesh

Sing for joy to the living God

You are my King and my God.

AMEN!

:) I've got volumes 1 and 2 sitting on a shelf a few feet away.

• Thumbs Up 4

Integrity Music has a number of Scripture Memory albums grouped by theme — faith-building, overcoming anxiety, God’s Love, praise, etc.

These incorporate a wide range of musical styles.

• Thumbs Up 3

Well how interesting!!! The only thing I have known, if anything, about Australian music and humor is from  the movie about ballroom dancing competition, "Strictly Ballroom".

Might have left me with a rather narrow sliver of awareness of Australia I suppose.

(Yes that is deadpan humor from a Bostonian New Englander lost in the subtropics of Florida USA, suffering Seminole swamp fever. )

I will think I might really enjoy this form of music with which I am unfamiliar. Looking forward to it. Might help with memorization of Bible scrolls, well passages anyway.

• Haha 1

Hmm, can females also sing the word? Is it sung with instrument? Is it anything similar to a cant led by a Cantor?

Edited by Neighbor
changed lead to led