IGNORED

I asked Jesus what must i do to go into heaven

mynickname

Guest PinkBelt
20 minutes ago, shiloh357 said:

No, I didn't say that the answer Jesus gave was the incorrect one. 

Jesus was exposing the one things that would keep the man from having eternal life.  He was willing to keep the 10 commandments because they didn't cost him anything.    Jesus was demonstrating to the man that he was not really interested in eternal life.   It really is that simple.   This was not a theological discussion on what it takes to be saved.   Rather, the man had to be confronted about HIS dishonest motives and insincerity.   He would not follow Christ if it cost him anything and that is what Jesus was revealing in that exchange.     Jesus was not attaching works to salvation.

The problem with the social justice "gospel" is that it works-based.  Christianity is not defined by the Bible, but is defined in terms of doing good works. The Bible, as a whole teaches that salvation is not based on what we do, but upon what Christ has done for on the cross.  

Eternal life isn't a "thing."  Eternal life is a Person, the Person of Jesus Christ;  He is salvation.  We don't find salvation in Christ by what we do, but solely by grace through faith alone in Christ alone.  He is our salvation, not our good deeds, not humanitarianism or any effort on our part.   

There are many whose riches are actually an impediment to coming to Jesus, and this man was no exception.

Re-stating that Jesus was testing him over and over does not address the fact that you are claiming Jesus gave incorrect information. That it was for an ulterior purpose is immaterial. Either keeping the commandments and giving to the poor are factors for eternal life or they are not. Which is it? The bible also does not say that the rich man came to Jesus with a dishonest motive, only that he was unhappy giving away his possessions due to his wealth.

I go by what the bible says, not what man wants it to mean. The bible, and Jesus in particular, are unambiguous about the importance of our works here on earth. "Faith alone" is not supported by anything Jesus taught and I think it is a heresy. Nothing would make Satan happier then "Christians" sitting on their rear ends ignoring the great mission. While faith in the Lord is absolutely critical, Jesus also spoke repeatedly about how your words, deeds and actions were weighed heavily on the day of judgement. The bible says faith without works is dead:

James 2:14-26

Faith Without Works Is Dead

14 What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him? 15 If a brother or sister is naked and destitute of daily food, 16 and one of you says to them, “Depart in peace, be warmed and filled,” but you do not give them the things which are needed for the body, what does it profit? 17 Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.

18 But someone will say, “You have faith, and I have works.” Show me your faith without your works, and I will show you my faith by my works. 19 You believe that there is one God. You do well. Even the demons believe—and tremble! 20 But do you want to know, O foolish man, that faith without works is dead? 21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered Isaac his son on the altar? 22 Do you see that faith was working together with his works, and by works faith was made perfect? 23 And the Scripture was fulfilled which says, “Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.” And he was called the friend of God. 24 You see then that a man is justified by works, and not by faith only.

25 Likewise, was not Rahab the harlot also justified by works when she received the messengers and sent them out another way?

26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

Anyone who reads this, (and there are more like it), and come away with the idea that faith alone is all God requires then they are flat out perverting God's word and the explicit teachings of our lord. I have to wonder if their own lack of charity and compassion are factors in their motivation to cling to their false belief in "faith alone". 

Revelation 3:15-17

15 I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! 16 So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth. 17 You say, ‘I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing.’ But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked.

Here is a blatant statement that Jesus will reject "Christians" who do not follow through in thought and deed. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,132
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

44 minutes ago, PinkBelt said:

Re-stating that Jesus was testing him over and over does not address the fact that you are claiming Jesus gave incorrect information.

\

it wasn't incorrect information, it just does not apply to us today...…     not every piece of scripture that is written applies to us today.

1 hour ago, Badjao33 said:

If Jesus and the original disciples weren't teaching that believers had to give up all of their possessions, why did Ananias try to conceal some of the money he had received from selling his land? 

A man named Ananias, with his wife Sapphira, sold a piece of property, and kept back some of the price for himself, with his wife’s full knowledge, and bringing a portion of it, he laid it at the apostles’ feet. But Peter said, “Ananias, why has Satan filled your heart to lie to the Holy Spirit and to keep back some of the price of the land? While it remained unsold, did it not remain your own? And after it was sold, was it not under your control? Why is it that you have conceived this deed in your heart?  You have not lied to men but to God.” (Acts 5:1-4)

They lied. That is what we are to garner from that story. They werent told to sell a certain amount or give a certain amount!! 

They were struck dead BECAUSE THEY LIED.

1 minute ago, Badjao33 said:

I know that, but my question was why did Ananias try to conceal some of the money he had received from selling his land? 

Because he was after the vainglory of giving it all . That is why he lied. That is why he died. He desired a position amongst men .

He  was seeking recognition for giving his all although he didnt. 

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  45
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

On 10/13/2018 at 9:22 PM, Wayne222 said:

You don't get saved or brought into heaven by righteous works. It's the blood of Jesus only. We are sactified by the holy spirit we are given when we trust in jesus. So after we have already received the promises we can be formed into his image bit by bit. Yes in our sactification we follow Jesus commandments but that does not earn the promises we already have. 

Of course. I assumed the original poster was saved and was talking about walking with God. That part takes works of a sort, if nothimg more than a willingness to allow God to reform us.

On 10/15/2018 at 9:06 AM, 1sheep said:

Sometimes we get bogged down with working to be saved. Paul asked the foolish galations " who has bewitched you?!" Gal 3:1-2

I think a baby believer asked Jesus a ? And the enemy answered with a half truth.

Satan doesnt change his strategy with new babes in Christ! He always tries to get a believer working for his salvation. By grace; the Lord leads him out of the lie one way or the other. Ie his word, the body of Christ, 

We know he heard a lie by testing the spirit. 

Striving to be righteous for the right reasons is the key.

You cannot please the Lord without the faith of a child. 

We work because we are saved and the spirit led us to it. The spirit indwelling works through us.

We do not work to be saved. 

There is a vast difference in  the two types of  works.

I can't disagree with that! And I didn't intend to. The problem is that so many times people just cruise. When we don't work at all, maybe we're not allowing the Spirit to lead us. I think God will give us a balance if we allow Him to. Faith without works is dead, but works without faith is dead, too.

1 minute ago, Peavey said:

I can't disagree with that! And I didn't intend to. The problem is that so many times people just cruise. When we don't work at all, maybe we're not allowing the Spirit to lead us. I think God will give us a balance if we allow Him to. Faith without works is dead, but works without faith is dead, too.

Would you agree that it is entirely impossible to cruise when one is applying 2tim 2:15? 

2 minutes ago, Badjao33 said:

I believe it was because the believers at that time were taught that they had to give up all of their possessions and he was not willing to part with all of the money he received from selling the land.

A man named Ananias, with his wife Sapphira, sold a piece of property, and kept back some of the price for himself, with his wife’s full knowledge, and bringing a portion of it, he laid it at the apostles’ feet. (Acts 5:1)

After all this is what the other believers were doing. 

All the believers were one in heart and mind. No one claimed that any of their possessions was their own, but they shared everything they had. With great power the apostles continued to testify to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus. And God’s grace was so powerfully at work in them all that there were no needy persons among them. For from time to time those who owned land or houses sold them, brought the money from the sales and put it at the apostles’ feet, and it was distributed to anyone who had need. (Acts 4:32-35)

Giving all was required, but Ananias only gave a portion. This means that not only did he lie, but he was also being disobedient by not obeying what God demanded of him. 

Well what you believe is not what actually happened. God didnt demand a certain amount. He was looking for recognition from men for something he hadnt done. 

Hermeneutics 

10 minutes ago, 1sheep said:

Would you agree that it is entirely impossible to cruise when one is applying 2tim 2:15? 

Yes, I would. If one is to follow Paul's advice, one could not just cruise. Study is an act.

2 minutes ago, Badjao33 said:

So those who were listening to Jesus should have ignored what He said?

Now large crowds were going along with Him; and He turned and said to them, “If anyone comes to Me, and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be My disciple. Whoever does not carry his own cross and come after Me cannot be My disciple. For which one of you, when he wants to build a tower, does not first sit down and calculate the cost to see if he has enough to complete it? Otherwise, when he has laid a foundation and is not able to finish, all who observe it begin to ridicule him, saying, ‘This man began to build and was not able to finish.’ Or what king, when he sets out to meet another king in battle, will not first sit down and consider whether he is strong enough with ten thousand men to encounter the one coming against him with twenty thousand? Or else, while the other is still far away, he sends a delegation and asks for terms of peace. So then, none of you can be My disciple who does not give up all his own possessions.  (Luke 14:25-35)

If you were in that crowd, wouldn't those instructions have been perfectly clear? Don't you believe Peter would have been teaching the same thing? 

Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey all that I have commanded you. (Matthew 28:19-20)

This may dissapoint you but I really have no desire to go back and forth with you on this. You throw in any  other unrelated scripture to appear right. Your exegesis is sloppy.

The message with Ananais isnt rocket science but it does require proper application of hermeneutics.