• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  275
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  5,208
  • Content Per Day:  1.00
  • Days Won:  0

On 11/29/2018 at 6:29 AM, nebula said:

Yeah, I know lots of old and new songs have it. It just puzzles me that no one else seemed to notice that the Scripture says "wolf" rather than "lion" until I came upon Mandela Effect theorists. I'm hoping to find a more believable explanation, one that explains how this false belief got started such that it pervaded everyone's thinking, no matter how many times they read Isaiah.

Hi sister, nice to see you back around.

Rather than attempting to answer this specifically, I would ask a question - how many Christians have read the entire book of Isaiah more than once and then how many of those have done diligent, in depth studies on all or parts of it?

I would suggest an alternative means of going about this. I'd just ask folks in person about it, without mentioning the book of Isaiah at all. Those who remember a hearing about lion lying down with a lamb (which will probably be a huge percentage of people), I'd ask them what book (and if they know that, what chapters) those verses are in. My suspicion is that you will get your answer on why everyone remembers it that way.

Edit: Also have a look at 19th century commentaries on those verses (I'll save you the suspense, they talk about the wolf and the lamb). I found a spurgeon sermon in literally about five seconds on the very topic.

Edited by Steve_S

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

On 11/29/2018 at 11:04 AM, maryjayne said:

You are assuming that I cannot read Ancient Greek or Hebrew, or translate it into any other language.

This whole post of yours is a fudge, clever weasel word to try to make out a case which cannot be made. I am a member of the 1662 group, and your ideas about the bible translations are wrong. You have completely sidestepped the point of the King James translation, as shown on this very thread, saying wolf, not lion in 1611. As is usual in these types of thread, you are changing the subject all the time, and refusing all evidence.

I do not know about the NIV, but i do know about the King James Version, and the book of common prayer.

The disrespect shown to God in all this astounds me.

I would like to apologize for having no knowledge of your knowing Ancient Greek and Hebrew. That is a very, very rare skill, such that I had no reason to assume anyone I am conversing with actually does.

But for you to accuse my motives and intentions like this is completely uncalled for. I have my opinions about "KJV only" beliefs, and I have my opinions about other Bible translations, and these beliefs have come out in the conversation.

However, the reason for my question was strictly and wholly what I said it was - trying to clear up a confusion and make sense out of why "everyone remembers" the passage in Scripture saying something that it does not, so much so that it is in Christian artwork and books.

Now sisne you know Hebrew, I have to ask why you didn't quote the Hebrew passage itself and provide the translation? That would have made a huge difference to this conversation!

On 11/30/2018 at 12:13 PM, Butero said:

They all say wolf, even the old ones.  You can trust the KJV Bible is fully accurate.  

I'd still like to know who started "the lion will lie down with" interpretation that spread like wildfire.

On 12/1/2018 at 12:14 AM, Steve_S said:

Hi sister, nice to see you back around.

Rather than attempting to answer this specifically, I would ask a question - how many Christians have read the entire book of Isaiah more than once and then how many of those have done diligent, in depth studies on all or parts of it?

I would suggest an alternative means of going about this. I'd just ask folks in person about it, without mentioning the book of Isaiah at all. Those who remember a hearing about lion lying down with a lamb (which will probably be a huge percentage of people), I'd ask them what book (and if they know that, what chapters) those verses are in. My suspicion is that you will get your answer on why everyone remembers it that way.

Edit: Also have a look at 19th century commentaries on those verses (I'll save you the suspense, they talk about the wolf and the lamb). I found a spurgeon sermon in literally about five seconds on the very topic.

Thank-you!

On 11/29/2018 at 3:48 PM, Cobalt1959 said:

I think it is a matter of either the original mis-quote multiplying over time, or a mis-print in a book that has taken on a life of it's own.  Kind of like those time-honored quotes that are often said to come from the Bible but actually do not . . .

Thank-you!