IGNORED

Will God be mad if we never use the talents He gave us?

Figure of eighty

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  242
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  1,562
  • Content Per Day:  0.77
  • Days Won:  0

For example. I'm an artist meaning I illustrate and paint...however I work so much and so hard( going 5o get a second job soon) just to live in 5his society... That I can't draw like I want 5o..

Also since I struggle with anxiety that also keeps me from drawing sometimes...

It bothers me as it's me dream but due to these stressors I find my passion for art waning. I still love it but I don't have the passion I used to. 

Another example is a coworker who's a gifted singer. She has children and also works super hard so she doesn't do much with her talent either...

Do you think God  would be disappointed in us?

• Thanks 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  513
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  3,194
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Days Won:  1

1 hour ago, Figure of eighty said:

For example. I'm an artist meaning I illustrate and paint...however I work so much and so hard( going 5o get a second job soon) just to live in 5his society... That I can't draw like I want 5o..

It bothers me as it's me dream but due to these stressors I find my passion for art waning. I still love it but I don't have the passion I used to. 

Another example is a coworker who's a gifted singer. She has children and also works super hard so she doesn't do much with her talent either...

Do you think God  would be disappointed in us?

What God wants, is to have a personal relationship with with you.

What one does or doesn’t do with their human abilities,  have no standing before God. 

Either one has a personal relationship with Christ or not. Hopefully  these words help you torward or with yours. 

Much love in Christ, Not me 

Edited by Not me
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Loved it! 1

43 minutes ago, Yowm said:

You do realize in the parable, 'talents' is referring to money as in investment, not abilities that we have. He honored even the widow's mite.

Oh. I thought it meant literal talent.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,262
  • Content Per Day:  0.97

8 minutes ago, Figure of eighty said:

Oh. I thought it meant literal talent. 

Like Yowm said, the parable referred to money.  I believe it also refers to any blessing God gives, to not waste it, but to invest it as a good steward of God's blessings, that they will increase, and used for God's glory.  But to answer your question about your abilities, talent, gift, expertise, I would say that of most people employed, only a tiny fraction really love their work.  As a carpenter for a half century, personally really enjoy taking my time and  making fine crafted items from wood. But I'm too slow, and the demand is slight, competing with China imports, so I do what I have to, remodeling and building homes in the past, and now fabricating industrial cabinet enclosures for commercial costumers. I still enjoy building good cabinets, and the Lord blesses. I see no reason why you couldn't find employment to pay the bills, and still pursue your gift, as you desire. Less stress with the bills paid may help the anxiety. As a child of God, call upon Him, acknowledge Him, as He will give you direction. You should be anxious for nothing, as the word says.

"Work is the best narcotic"

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Oy Vey! 1

17 minutes ago, pinacled said:

How many Windows for curtains was it?

Wisdom is by no means achieved without an offering of fellowship....

Blessed are the......."

Hmm?  Work?   Have you plowed a field in winter. If so did you recognise each and give praise. Or were you too concerned with the stones of the upper and lower millstone to take notice Whom provides.

If I recall correctly yochanon(mentioned raising stones.

If only twelve princes without water would seek the kingdom an abstain from blood. 

pinacled, with 'whatever' is due respect, I really haven't a clue what you are saying/asking/telling me.

I noticed you gave me a imagesuhiuhi.jpg.9f605927cbf10e80c80b6a50d62239bd.jpg   I'm scratching my head, too default_cool2.gif.59af468ad3ed6a323257c4ec1ade695b.gif

Cool. As a member since 09, this my second one. 'oy vey' means indicating dismay or grief.    Works for me.
Am I missing something here?      Anybody else explain what I missed?
ps; my wife put curtains in the bedroom windows only. (5ea)  Hope that helps.
And yes, I have and do plow, sometimes in winter. We're in the sand hills, no stones.
Don't know nutin bout
those "twelve princes without water"

•  

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  28
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

For all we know Jesus was a superb ballet dancer. 

That wasn't His calling however and as such I believe that God has a role for all of us. 

If you are a great artist then create your art but that may not be God's plan for you. 

I am very weirdly good at video games, excel at them actually but that's not His plan for me. 

Still, that doesn't mean I can't still play them it just means that I know they will never be used to fit into His plans. 

Some people are great artists, fishermen, great at sports, all sorts of things but those things are not the priority for God. 

• Brilliant! 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  606
  • Content Per Day:  0.30

5 hours ago, Figure of eighty said:

Will God be mad if we never use the talents He gave us?

No.

Most paint artists struggle to earn a living and are anxious about this; whereas most technology workers are living well in this Satan-ruled world. You may need to accept reality or your lot in life and face the facts of life, eg don't aim to be well-off or wealthy from your talent.

If possible and able, try to witness to others during your line of work with the gospel or your Christian example of good works/fruits.

Remember to financially support God's church, pastors, evangelists, missionaries, etc with whatever little you have.

Edited by discipler777

46 minutes ago, pinacled said:

I gave an oy vey in response to your use of the word anxious.

What are you anxious for? Are you anxious to be exploited like that steroid using character in the photo.

I hope not..

Philippians 4;6

Sorry pinacled, you simply misread my response to Figure of eighty said. Never said I was anxious.  Addressing her, I said to her, quote;

"You should be anxious for nothing, as the word says"

I agree with you though, we all should be anxious for nothing.
Just curious. Would you mind explaining what you meant in your post about "windows, curtains, plowing a field,  stones of the upper and lower millstone,  yochanon(mentioned raising stones,  twelve princes without water would seek the kingdom an abstain from blood"
Trying to understand your counsel. Thanks............

• Praying! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  24
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,459
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  2

14 hours ago, Figure of eighty said:

For example. I'm an artist meaning I illustrate and paint...however I work so much and so hard( going 5o get a second job soon) just to live in 5his society... That I can't draw like I want 5o.. Also since I struggle with anxiety that also keeps me from drawing sometimes...  It bothers me as it's me dream but due to these stressors I find my passion for art waning. I still love it but I don't have the passion I used to.  Another example is a coworker who's a gifted singer. She has children and also works super hard so she doesn't do much with her talent either... Do you think God  would be disappointed in us?  [reformatted for space]

Many Christians seem to get caught up in trying to figure out what God wants us to do rather than who God wants us to be.  We become focused on seeking to better know God's to-do list for our lives so we can check off all of the items on it.   We rarely slow down from this and ask *who* is it that God created me to be?   We start to come to see our value as Christians by how much we accomplish for God rather than in becoming who God made us to be.   In the long run, we will accomplish much more in being the person God created us to be than trying to do as much as we possibly can.

I spent over 30 years as a Christian with this mindset that what I was supposed to do as a Christian defined who I was.  It was about maximizing the use of my gifts and talents and pouring as much time and effort into ministry as I could to bear as much good spiritual fruit as I could.   I was defining myself by striving to be the best Christian, the best husband, the best father, the best employee, the best fill-in-the-blank I could be.   Over a period of about 6 months to a year, God forced me to slow down and put me in front of a mirror and forced me to look long and hard and I realized I had no clue who God made me to be.  All I could see was the roles, tasks, gifts, talents, and efforts I had been putting into things.  Over the next year, God started working on me to show me who He had created me to be.  He started healing things that had been shackles and chains on my natural personality.   My gifts, talents, and experience became *tools* for me to use rather than my identity.  One of the biggest changes is that I now find what I do tends to be much more natural and just flows rather than being something I have to work at.

There are of course many things we all have in common as Christians that describe our lives.  But then there is the uniqueness about each of us that is meant to reflect God's glory to the world in a way unique to us.  It is not that we have particular gifts and talents that makes us unique, but there is something about each one of us that is a special treasure and work of art of God.  Until we can look in the mirror and start to see that unique work of art God is creating and rejoice in that, we'll be trying on our own strength to do what we and others think God wants us to do.  There are many painters and illustrators in the world with a range of abilities and skills.  However, there is only one you that is a unique work of art of God.  As you learn who God is making you to be and come to rejoice and be comfortable in being that person, your gifts and talents will become tools that you can use to express and communicate things in ways that will go well beyond the ability to paint or illustrate.  You may also find that what you like about drawing might be used or expressed in ways other than drawing as well.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • This is Worthy 1

2 hours ago, GandalfTheWise said:

Many Christians seem to get caught up in trying to figure out what God wants us to do rather than who God wants us to be.  We become focused on seeking to better know God's to-do list for our lives so we can check off all of the items on it.   We rarely slow down from this and ask *who* is it that God created me to be?   We start to come to see our value as Christians by how much we accomplish for God rather than in becoming who God made us to be.   In the long run, we will accomplish much more in being the person God created us to be than trying to do as much as we possibly can.

I spent over 30 years as a Christian with this mindset that what I was supposed to do as a Christian defined who I was.  It was about maximizing the use of my gifts and talents and pouring as much time and effort into ministry as I could to bear as much good spiritual fruit as I could.   I was defining myself by striving to be the best Christian, the best husband, the best father, the best employee, the best fill-in-the-blank I could be.   Over a period of about 6 months to a year, God forced me to slow down and put me in front of a mirror and forced me to look long and hard and I realized I had no clue who God made me to be.  All I could see was the roles, tasks, gifts, talents, and efforts I had been putting into things.  Over the next year, God started working on me to show me who He had created me to be.  He started healing things that had been shackles and chains on my natural personality.   My gifts, talents, and experience became *tools* for me to use rather than my identity.  One of the biggest changes is that I now find what I do tends to be much more natural and just flows rather than being something I have to work at.

There are of course many things we all have in common as Christians that describe our lives.  But then there is the uniqueness about each of us that is meant to reflect God's glory to the world in a way unique to us.  It is not that we have particular gifts and talents that makes us unique, but there is something about each one of us that is a special treasure and work of art of God.  Until we can look in the mirror and start to see that unique work of art God is creating and rejoice in that, we'll be trying on our own strength to do what we and others think God wants us to do.  There are many painters and illustrators in the world with a range of abilities and skills.  However, there is only one you that is a unique work of art of God.  As you learn who God is making you to be and come to rejoice and be comfortable in being that person, your gifts and talents will become tools that you can use to express and communicate things in ways that will go well beyond the ability to paint or illustrate.  You may also find that what you like about drawing might be used or expressed in ways other than drawing as well.

This confused me. I feel God wants us to be all the same honestly...and that's simply like his son.