IGNORED

Am I wasting my time, I think everyone needs to study the bible more and be less concerned about work and money, you don't need to work full time to serve God, and you don't have to give a lot to charity or am I misunderstanding.

john1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  41
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  686
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Days Won:  0

14 hours ago, Spookycolt said:

There is only one thing you really have to do. 

Matthew chapter 4 verse 4

Jesus answered, "It is written: 'Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.'"

14 hours ago, Michael37 said:

When I was asked by an older Christian man for suggestions as to what he could do now that he is no longer able to find paid work I replied that I believed it was an opportunity to be more involved in ministry, serving the body of Christ in an area of the Lord's directing.

1 Peter chapter 4 verse 10

Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God's grace in its various forms.

Should that be when you retire, or once your a Christian.

Romans chapter 1 verse 28

Furthermore, just as they did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, so God gave them over to a depraved mind, so that they do what ought not to be done.

13 hours ago, discipler777 said:

No, everyone should not be less concerned about work and money.

Luke chapter 10

38 As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. 39 She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said. 40 But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!”

41 “Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, 42 but few things are needed—or indeed only one.[f] Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.”

9 hours ago, eileenhat said:

We have to trust God knows what needs to be given or have we lost that much faith in him?

I agree with some of what you have said.

Proverbs chapter 3 verse 5

Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding;

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Cletus said:

Pro 13:4  The soul of the sluggard desireth, and hath nothing: but the soul of the diligent shall be made fat.

The bible says a lot of things, and it says everyone inherits an empty way of life from their for fathers, Jesus was a carpenter because of his earthly father Joseph, he didn't have in vestments.

Jesus answered, "It is written: 'Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.'"

5 hours ago, George said:

If you were a farmer ... and you thought you should study and pray more ... than plant seed ... what kind of harvest would you expect?

As a farmer you don't have to plant until you crop comes up, and you don't have to try to be rich.

Isaiah chapter 45 verse 19

I have not spoken in secret, from somewhere in a land of darkness; I have not said to Jacob's descendants, 'Seek me in vain.' I, the LORD, speak the truth; I declare what is right.

Have you forgotten this.

john1, give thanks! 

Matthew 6:33 But seek first the kingdom of God, and His righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

Roger Babson, a famous statistician was having lunch with the President of Argentina, "Mr. Babson," the President said, "I have been wondering why it is that South America, with all its natural advantages, mines of iron, copper, coal and silver, rivers and great waterfalls is so far behind North America?" Babson replied, "Well, Mr. President, what do you think is the reason?" He answered, "..South America was founded by the Spanish who came in search of gold. North America was founded by the Pilgrims who went there in search of God."

john1, if we live a life of seeking gold -- the blessings of God but not God Himself -- we end up losing both. The Pilgrims, who gave us the wonderful holiday of Thanksgiving, came in search of God. It is because of this that America has reaped blessing upon blessing. We need to examine ourselves and be careful that we are seeking God in all things, putting Him first and giving thanks to Him always. Seek first the kingdom of God and He will surely provide from His riches in glory.

Your family in the Lord with much agape love,

George, Baht Rivka, Elianna & Obadiah
Baltimore, MD

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  241
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,953
  • Content Per Day:  3.27
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

2 hours ago, john1 said:

1 Peter chapter 4 verse 10

Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God's grace in its various forms.

Should that be when you retire, or once your a Christian.

Romans chapter 1 verse 28

Furthermore, just as they did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, so God gave them over to a depraved mind, so that they do what ought not to be done.

I said "When I was asked by an older Christian man for suggestions as to what he could do now that he is no longer able to find paid work I replied that I believed it was an opportunity to be more involved in ministry, serving the body of Christ in an area of the Lord's directing." 

Notice I said more involved in ministry, John1. 

I've noticed that some Christians of my acquaintance upon quitting their jobs to have more time to wait on the Lord have become rather needy and dependant on the goodwill and resources of others to support them, and have tended to harbour  delusions of an elevated calling in this respect. I have the capacity to be charitable because the Lord has prospered me through my work, which I enjoy and which others benefit from, but I chose to provide a hand up rather than a hand out.  

Edited by Michael37
ommission

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,244
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

2Co 8:3  For they gave according to their means, as I can testify, and beyond their means, of their own accord,

2Co 8:4  begging us earnestly for the favor of taking part in the relief of the saints—

2Co 8:5  and this, not as we expected, but they gave themselves first to the Lord and then by the will of God to us.

2Co 9:6  The point is this: whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows bountifully will also reap bountifully.

2Co 9:7  Each one must give as he has decided in his heart, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.

2Co 9:8  And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that having all sufficiency in all things at all times, you may abound in every good work.

2Co 9:9  As it is written, "He has distributed freely, he has given to the poor; his righteousness endures forever."

2Co 9:10  He who supplies seed to the sower and bread for food will supply and multiply your seed for sowing and increase the harvest of your righteousness.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  28
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

5 hours ago, john1 said:

Living is not salvation.

• Steward

• Group:  Steward
  • Followers:  110
  • Topic Count:  10,465
  • Topics Per Day:  1.26
  • Content Count:  27,777
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  129
  • Birthday:  09/21/1971

8 hours ago, Vince said:

I am not aware that God ever said he wants to prosper and succeed in anything we do.  Also, Cannot God create a crop where no one planted a seed?

Deu 28:1  And it will be, if you shall listen carefully to the voice of Jehovah your God, to observe and to do all His commandments which I command you today, Jehovah your God will set you on high above all nations of the earth. 
Deu 28:2  And all these blessings shall come on you and overtake you, if you will listen to the voice of Jehovah your God. 
Deu 28:3  You shall be blessed in the city, and be blessed in the field. 
Deu 28:4  The fruit of your body shall be blessed, and the fruit of your ground, and the fruit of your cattle, the increase of your cows, and the flocks of your sheep. 
Deu 28:5  Your basket and your store shall be blessed. 
Deu 28:6  You shall be blessed when you come in, and blessed when you go out. 
Deu 28:7  Jehovah shall cause your enemies that rise up against you to be stricken before your face. They shall come out against you one way, and flee before you seven ways. ... God wants you to be blessed!

8 hours ago, john1 said:

As a farmer you don't have to plant until you crop comes up, and you don't have to try to be rich.

Isaiah chapter 45 verse 19

I have not spoken in secret, from somewhere in a land of darkness; I have not said to Jacob's descendants, 'Seek me in vain.' I, the LORD, speak the truth; I declare what is right.

Have you forgotten this.

john1, give thanks! 

Matthew 6:33 But seek first the kingdom of God, and His righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

Roger Babson, a famous statistician was having lunch with the President of Argentina, "Mr. Babson," the President said, "I have been wondering why it is that South America, with all its natural advantages, mines of iron, copper, coal and silver, rivers and great waterfalls is so far behind North America?" Babson replied, "Well, Mr. President, what do you think is the reason?" He answered, "..South America was founded by the Spanish who came in search of gold. North America was founded by the Pilgrims who went there in search of God."

john1, if we live a life of seeking gold -- the blessings of God but not God Himself -- we end up losing both. The Pilgrims, who gave us the wonderful holiday of Thanksgiving, came in search of God. It is because of this that America has reaped blessing upon blessing. We need to examine ourselves and be careful that we are seeking God in all things, putting Him first and giving thanks to Him always. Seek first the kingdom of God and He will surely provide from His riches in glory.

Your family in the Lord with much agape love,

George, Baht Rivka, Elianna & Obadiah
Baltimore, MD

Notice that I said ... if you seek God ... the blessings follow.  This is Scriptural.

Mat 6:31  Therefore do not be anxious, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, With what shall we be clothed? 
Mat 6:32  For the nations seek after all these things. For your heavenly Father knows that you have need of all these things. 
Mat 6:33  But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness; and all these things shall be added to you.

What things?  Material blessings!

So why are we blessed with material blessings?  What is wealth for?

Deu 8:17  and so that you might not say in your heart, My power and the might of my hand has gotten me this wealth. 
Deu 8:18  But you shall remember Jehovah your God, for it is He who gives you power to get wealth, so that He may confirm His covenant which He has sworn to your fathers, as it is today.

Wealth is used by God to establish the covenant.

Does God need your money?  Nope.  Neither does any ministry!  God owns EVERYTHING ALREADY!  It's already HIS! 

So why does God want his servants to give?  The reality is that generosity and giving are dealing with 2 main issues in the human heart.  First, it's dealing with the issue of selfishness -- and the 2nd issue is that it's dealing with greed.  So when you have a generous heart -- you're a giver and working out of your lives -- selfishness and greed!  What drives me up a wall -- is prosperity teachings that work AGAINST God's plan.  If you think about it -- you hear -- if you sow a seed, you'll be blessed 10 fold, 20-fold,100-fold!  GIVE to GET mentality -- is working against God's plan!  God is working OUT of your life -- greed and selfishness -- and prosperity teachers are WORKING BACK IN MORE greed and MORE selfishness in how they present giving!  It's so un-biblical!  When the Scriptures say -- God loves a cheerful giver -- it's literally says -- an hilarious giver!  As Jesus said, don't let your right hand know what your left hand is doing!  That's giving from the heart -- and those are the types of offerings God accepts and blesses.

Seek first the Kingdom of God and His righteousness ... and all of these things ... ARE ADDED UNTO YOU! 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 2
  • Brilliant! 1