• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  9
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Hello fellow Christians,

I believe I asked this question in the wrong forum so I’ll re-ask it here.

In my experience, it seems as if the New Testament as a whole is really known for its love. Certainly we see that in Christ.  We as Christians are called by Christ to show love to one another.  However, is love ever defined in the New Testament? Love being the greatest commandment I would think that it is defined in a really clear way but I don’t know that I’ve read anything that does in the New Testament. 

If anyone could point me in the right direction that would be great. 

Thanks in advance. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  39
  • Topic Count:  101
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,673
  • Content Per Day:  1.31
  • Days Won:  67

I Corinthians 13:4 Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant 5 or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; 6 it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. 7 Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,265
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

Greater-love-hath-no-man-than-this-that-a-man-lay-down-his-life-for-his-friends-John-15-13-2.jpg.4d898dfa6f2192581fffa060f046bcf2.jpg

• This is Worthy 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Steward

• Group:  Steward
  • Followers:  110
  • Topic Count:  10,465
  • Topics Per Day:  1.25
  • Content Count:  27,785
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  129
  • Birthday:  09/21/1971

5 hours ago, James thomas said:

We as Christians are called by Christ to show love to one another.  However, is love ever defined in the New Testament?

John 15:12-13  “This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you.  Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends. 

• Loved it! 1

6 hours ago, PromisesPromises! said:

do

I’m excited to see how many replied to my question. I certainly hope that’s the norm here on Worthy. However, I think most may have misunderstood my question. 

Romans 12 and 13 certainly touched on it so thank you Promises. Still, I would think there would be more than this. 

This is a question that I’ve been asking lately because I feel it should be apparent, yet it doesn’t seem to be. 

There are plenty of verses that tell us to love, but there are much less that tell us how. 

I think most if not all of us on this site understand how to be nice, which in many cases could certainly show love. But nice doesn’t necessarily mean love. 

The way I see it is ‘love’ does not change. Love now is the same love that We had 6,000 years ago. Nice however is maybe more cultural therefore it does change. Some you may do for someone now to be nice may have angered people 6,000 years ago. 

Would anyone agree with this?

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  87
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,795
  • Content Per Day:  1.34
  • Days Won:  3

"New Testament Love", may be  defined as commitment, devotion, forgiveness, sacrifice, compassion, and charity.

if you want to nail it down, its sacrifice and charity, as these cover all forms of agape` love.

Devotion is sacrifice

Forgiveness is sacrifice

Commitment is sacrifice

Compassion is Charity

Forgiveness is Charity

Charity is Love.

Love is all of the above.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Yowm said:

Hebrews 12:5-11 AMP
[5] and you have forgotten the divine word of encouragement which is addressed to you as sons, "MY SON, DO NOT MAKE LIGHT OF THE DISCIPLINE OF THE LORD, AND DO NOT LOSE HEART and GIVE UP WHEN YOU ARE CORRECTED BY HIM; [6] FOR THE LORD DISCIPLINES and CORRECTS THOSE WHOM HE LOVES, AND HE PUNISHES EVERY SON WHOM HE RECEIVES and WELCOMES [TO HIS HEART]." [7] You must submit to [correction for the purpose of] discipline; God is dealing with you as with sons; for what son is there whom his father does not discipline? [8] Now if you are exempt from correction and without discipline, in which all [of God's children] share, then you are illegitimate children and not sons [at all]. [9] Moreover, we have had earthly fathers who disciplined us, and we submitted and respected them [for training us]; shall we not much more willingly submit to the Father of spirits, and live [by learning from His discipline]? [10] For our earthly fathers disciplined us for only a short time as seemed best to them; but He disciplines us for our good, so that we may share His holiness. [11] For the time being no discipline brings joy, but seems sad and painful; yet to those who have been trained by it, afterwards it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness [right standing with God and a lifestyle and attitude that seeks conformity to God's will and purpose].

Revelation 3:19 AMP
[19] Those whom I [dearly and tenderly] love, I rebuke and discipline [showing them their faults and instructing them]; so be enthusiastic and repent [change your inner self-your old way of thinking, your sinful behavior-seek God's will]. (Amplified)

Yes,there is such a thing as tough love.

Wounderful scripture to prove what you’re saying. It also gets to much of the point that I was making.

would you agree that if a brother/sister were to commit a sin it is our duty to tell them their error?

also, what is your belief on Old Testament law and how/if it applies to us now?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.87
  • Days Won:  5

Paul let’s us know that we are to help a Brother if he stumbles.It is to be done with kindness and compassion.......the next time it might be YOU that stumbles, Paul warned.

The Law has done its job if it has driven you to the point where your “mouth is shut” and you have to admit that you can’t keep them—— you have to have a Saviour!

The Law is great  but it does not save, nor does it keep you saved.A wise man will  strive to obey God’s Law, because God gave those laws to benefit you, not to make you miserable. Believers can choose to obey and be blessed or disobey and be cursed.Faith in the Shed Blood Of Christ saves us and puts on the right path.Your obedience or lack thereof will determine if your path is smooth or rough.We are free to chose.May we all choose wisely.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,265
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

7 hours ago, James thomas said:

Wonderful scripture to prove what you’re saying. It also gets to much of the point that I was making.

would you agree that if a brother/sister were to commit a sin it is our duty to tell them their error?

also, what is your belief on Old Testament law and how/if it applies to us now?

Whenever possible, I take the 'Nathan' approach, when he confronted David with his sin with Bathsheba, allowing the person to apply the lesson themselves, when possible. Trying not to put them on the defensive, but see their error and allow the Spirit do the convicting. When possible. I often use myself as an example, how I fell into the same temptations, and what helped me to over come. In Christ.

On 12/28/2018 at 3:29 AM, Blood Bought 1953 said:

Paul let’s us know that we are to help a Brother if he stumbles.It is to be done with kindness and compassion.......the next time it might be YOU that stumbles, Paul warned.

The Law has done its job if it has driven you to the point where your “mouth is shut” and you have to admit that you can’t keep them—— you have to have a Saviour!

The Law is great  but it does not save, nor does it keep you saved.A wise man will  strive to obey God’s Law, because God gave those laws to benefit you, not to make you miserable. Believers can choose to obey and be blessed or disobey and be cursed.Faith in the Shed Blood Of Christ saves us and puts on the right path.Your obedience or lack thereof will determine if your path is smooth or rough.We are free to chose.May we all choose wisely.

Absolutely. And the intention of the Law never was to save. 

I agree with you that the Law was given to us to help us however, obeying the Law today does not make life easier it makes it much harder. 

If you don’t mind, what ‘Law’ are you referring to?