Jump to content
Wayne222

Section 8 and food stamps.

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, 1sheep said:

Its not as simple as that. I hope you realize that it isnt. 

Most people DONT HELP christian or not! I said most not all. Most just have words to offer . I think we have all met the kind. Besides, section 8 is a good thing for those that just need a handup. There will always be flaws in the system but thats life. Some will freeload and dome will go on to be productive citizens . 

James 2 :14 If someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can that faith save him? 15 If a brother or sister is poorly clothed and lacking in daily food, 16 and one of you says to them, “Go in peace, be warmed and filled,” without giving them the things needed for the body, what good[b] is that? 

That's one of my favorite verses 1sheep.

What good is it to say "I'm praying for you" or "Don't worry, God is in control" then go on your merry way?  We are called to be active, feed the poor, help the sick, give our cloak if someone needs it, not to mouth platitudes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, The_Patriot2018 said:

 

None of that negates the fact that were told to take care of the needy-not leave them for someone else. Our job not the governments.

If enough of us did that, there would be no need for government help. Unfortunately, this is not the case. There are many who are forced to rely on the government whether thy want to or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, The_Patriot2018 said:

Indeed, most people don't, instead they expect the government to do it for them. Problem is the only way the government can do it is to tax everyone else into poverty. What they also don't know is government assistance is designed to control-not help. Its easier to control a person that is dependent on you then someone who is self sufficient.

None of that negates the fact that were told to take care of the needy-not leave them for someone else. Our job not the governments.

The government can only control a person if they allow it! There are ways out if one wants out! Its called determination.

Yes christians are called to help. Its good fruit as a result of being a new creation in Christ. To some it is their religious preening.

Should I list what I do to please men? No thnx. God knows and that all that matters. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, PepperS said:

That's one of my favorite verses 1sheep.

What good is it to say "I'm praying for you" or "Don't worry, God is in control" then go on your merry way?  We are called to be active, feed the poor, help the sick, give our cloak if someone needs it, not to mouth platitudes. 

Yeah I got plenty of platitudes this past holiday season from churched people. I heard crickets for thanksgiving and christmas. People dont teally care. It was just me and myself! Lol

They appear godly but are white washed tombs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 1sheep said:

The government can only control a person if they allow it! There are ways out if one wants out! Its called determination.

Yes christians are called to help. Its good fruit as a result of being a new creation in Christ. To some it is their religious preening.

Should I list what I do to please men? No thnx. God knows and that all that matters. 

Yes but someone who is dependent upon the government is less likely to have that determination. People are short sighted...people on welfare are more likely to vote democrat...why? Because of the money theyre afraid a Republican will cut their welfare check. 

As the old saying goes give a man a fish youll feed them for a day. Teach a man to fish and youll feed him for a lifetime.

The governments form of help is give a man a fish a day and they will always do your bidding...Because after awhile they will have lost all motivation to learn how to fish.

  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, The_Patriot2018 said:

nowhere does it say to let the government do it for you.

No. The Bible doesn't. But that dose not mean that the gov. shouldn't.  Government stepping in and not allowing its people to starve to death or live in the street is better for the people and the government over all. Desperate, hungry people who have no one to help will riot in the streets, and you will have a break down of law and order. 

 

Nothing personal on you with this. But This also goes back to my old argument I had with some people on Worthy. Where  some Christians want a Christian nation and they want our government to follow Christian rules. When it comes to things like gay marriage and abortion.   But when it comes to feeding the poor and housing the homeless. Then it's "well it's not the government's job to care for people." Again not directing this to you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, The_Patriot2018 said:

Indeed, most people don't, instead they expect the government to do it for them. Problem is the only way the government can do it is to tax everyone else into poverty. What they also don't know is government assistance is designed to control-not help. Its easier to control a person that is dependent on you then someone who is self sufficient.

None of that negates the fact that were told to take care of the needy-not leave them for someone else. Our job not the governments.

Maybe if more people did help. Christians and churches. We would not need so much government interfering?  But until that happens. Well, we can't just let people go without waiting around now can we?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

guidelines in Oklahoma for food stamps for a family of 2 is making less than $1,726 pre-tax per month.      For a single person it is $1,276 a month which I know a couple of people who are living on Social Security only that are lower than this income   According to our DHS office the average time for someone on food stamps is 18 months....   this is not including elderly people who are living on only Social Security.

I don't know enough about section 8 housing to speak about it in any way...

 

In my duties at Xerox, I worked in most of our local churches and have seen many people turned down for help.   I don't know why but the looks on their faces as they left was more than I could stand many times so I followed them out of the building and helped them myself.   Sometimes a little and sometimes more than a little.  I don't know if the church just didn't have the money to help.  Sometimes our church doesn't as we struggle to pay our own bills.                   It is my opinion that the Church as a whole has fallen very short in helping people in need on a daily basis.   The government does do a better job in getting people by, but the rules and regulations tend to keep people trapped in the system and destroy the family structure so it, long term, has been devastating to low income people as a whole.

Personally I don't mind paying taxes to help people, but the wasteful government agencies and corruption make it very inefficient and makes it hard to accept the overall tax structure.

  • Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, LadyKay said:

Maybe if more people did help. Christians and churches. We would not need so much government interfering?  But until that happens. Well, we can't just let people go without waiting around now can we?

Government should n0t help...nor does it if you really think about it.

People not stepping up and helping...thats a valid point...but its one thats solved by everyone stepping up and actually helping instead of waiting for the government to step in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, The_Patriot2018 said:

 

People not stepping up and helping...thats a valid point...but its one thats solved by everyone stepping up and actually helping instead of waiting for the government to step in.

In a perfect world, yes, but, Christ has not returned yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×