• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,129
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

9 hours ago, PinkBelt said:

I didn't say you surrendered any, I said willing to surrender. I listed some of the rights that would be lost... do you not know what habeas corpus is?

What does "person like yourself" mean exactly?

I believe Lincoln removed habeas corpus for a short time....      and it didn't kill the country....   besides,  I think we would have to worry more about Nancy and Chuck doing such things more than the Donald from my point of view.

I can tell you are going to have a hissy fit when they start arresting deep state people for their crimes.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,240
  • Content Per Day:  2.10
  • Days Won:  4

On 1/29/2019 at 4:50 PM, other one said:

Article written June 8, 2017.

On 1/29/2019 at 4:50 PM, other one said:

Article written January 12, 2017.

Both of these articles are writing about future plans, and there is very little to show for these plans in 2019.

One thing (among many) that bothers me about the wall is the fact that Trump waited for 2 years to try to push this through when he had a Republican House and Senate all that time. If there is really a national emergency (it's quite a stretch of the truth to categorize it as such), why did it take 2 years for him to try to do something about it - especially when he had all the pieces in place to get it push it through Congress earlier?

10 minutes ago, one.opinion said:

Article written June 8, 2017.

Article written January 12, 2017.

Both of these articles are writing about future plans, and there is very little to show for these plans in 2019.

One thing (among many) that bothers me about the wall is the fact that Trump waited for 2 years to try to push this through when he had a Republican House and Senate all that time. If there is really a national emergency (it's quite a stretch of the truth to categorize it as such), why did it take 2 years for him to try to do something about it - especially when he had all the pieces in place to get it push it through Congress earlier?

People keep telling me that he had the house and senate but he did not have the senate....   a majority yes, but the democrats can filibuster just about anything and it takes 60 votes to pass anything in the senate...…    The President did not have the Republican votes to do anything except seat judges which he did a fantastic job of doing.

Mitch would not bring anything to the floor that he did not have the votes to pass....       how can we put any of that on the president.

45 minutes ago, other one said:

People keep telling me that he had the house and senate but he did not have the senate....   a majority yes, but the democrats can filibuster just about anything and it takes 60 votes to pass anything in the senate...…    The President did not have the Republican votes to do anything except seat judges which he did a fantastic job of doing.

Mitch would not bring anything to the floor that he did not have the votes to pass....       how can we put any of that on the president.

Of course it wouldn’t be easy. So why wait 2 years into his presidency to even make the attempt?

Edited by one.opinion

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  730
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/13/1993

So in regards to building the wall, Trump does have the authority to declare a national emergency under the National Emergencies Act of 1976. However, that does not give him funds for the wall. Funding is distributed through Congress. If he attempted to use the military to build the wall he would face a legal challenge as the laws in question 10 US Code 2808 and 33 US Code 2293 require that the military only be used in such matters for essential national defense purposes. The big issue here is that Trump would be vastly changing the definitions provided in the statutes and it would set a very dangerous precedent that the courts would not support. There is also the issue of Posse Commitatus Act although that argument is probably weaker than the previous argument.  Congress can also vote to end the national emergency at any time and multiple GOP senators will not support the declaration of a national emergency. 

Now let's say that you are good with all of these changes to the interpretation of the law and the widening of such definitions of national security. And let's even say that Trump gets a court that supports such vast expansion of emergency powers and somehow avoids Congress immediately revoking those powers. He will still have to take funding from other DoD/Homeland projects to fund the wall. This will take away money from necessary projects like building and improving bases and other military infrastructure.

And even if you are ok with all of that and would continue to support Trump through all of that, remember that health among other things are considered to be national security issues (see the decree on the H1N1 virus). When a different person becomes president they have access to this precedent to declare national emergencies in order to bypass Congressional funding. I find it hard to believe that many people that support Trump would have been happy if Obama had used such a national emergency to get funding for the Affordable Care Act (aka Obamacare). And health is a recognized national emergency!

In summary, Trump supporters need to recognize a few things about this idea to declare a national emergency. The first is that it will face serious legal challenges which it likely would not survive.   Secondly, it could be repealed by Congress with relative ease given the amount of GOP senators uncomfortable with such an expansion of presidential powers (especially the more libertarian/Freedom caucus). Third, the funding is still not guaranteed and would take from other projects. Lastly, if you are ok with this vast expansion of presidential power and it somehow gets through, a Trump supporter would have zero right to even raise a voice in protest at future presidents doing something different with that power that could be viewed as a national emergency. 

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, one.opinion said:

Of course it wouldn’t be easy. So why wait 2 years into his presidency to even make the attempt?

he didn't have the cooperation of the leading Republicans in either the house or senate...     as I remember neither of them wanted him as president....   also consider the deep state is not limited to any single party   it took time to root out people even in his own justice department that were working to get rid of them and just about everything important he's doing the Dems file suits to stop him in either San Francisco or Hawaii in the liberal courts to stop him...…   he needed a secure conservative Supreme Court to do this.

Add to the planning that the president works for long term gains instead of short term and we can't always know why he is doing something today....    he really does not advertise the end goals sometimes to give his opponents the opportunity to stop what he's up to in the long run.

People that I go to for news about what's going on in the background tell me that there have been 12 attempts to assassinate him during the past two years.   Knowledge of the impending attempts were discovered by Israeli intelligence in a couple of occasions and two that I'm aware of from Russian intelligence.....    

I'm not sure that the general public understand just how close we have come to Nancy Pelosi being called Madam President. 

8 hours ago, other one said:

Add to the planning that the president works for long term gains instead of short term and we can't always know why he is doing something today....

If it is the emergency that he claims it is, it makes no sense to wait 2 years to do anything about it - regardless of the political climate. He attempted the travel ban immediately after taking office. All the reasons for waiting you gave in your post applied to that situation, as well.

just wait him out and see why he's going down this road

2 hours ago, other one said:

just wait him out and see why he's going down this road

Not necessary - his insistence on a "crisis" at the border is due to either a warped view of reality or a political ploy. My guess is some combination of the two.

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.21
  • Days Won:  58

2 hours ago, one.opinion said:

Not necessary - his insistence on a "crisis" at the border is due to either a warped view of reality or a political ploy. My guess is some combination of the two.

As someone who lives in a border state, not that far from the border, it is very much a crisis. According to the border patrol, the way they are coming across has changed. Hundreds at a time are being bussed to the border to cross as a group. (I dont mean the ones that were in the news in tijuana from honduras.) The goal of illegals and their activists is to overwhelm the border patrol and any barriers (barbed wire). This is a crisis that needs to be addressed. 

• Thumbs Up 2