• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  221
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/21/1945

There are two gods fighting it out with one another; Dionysus, the God of the vine and Apollo the God of structure and form. The religion of Dionysus corrupts into reckless license and the religion of Apollo corrupts into goose stepping legalism. ..... but the way to life is straight and narrow as it is stated in the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,300
  • Content Per Day:  1.72

On 1/27/2019 at 5:33 AM, gamnot said:

There are two gods fighting it out with one another; Dionysus, the God of the vine and Apollo the God of structure and form.

Sorry but these gods do not exist. There is only the Creator God, the great 'IAM' who is God, all other gods are the devils decieving people.

• Brilliant! 1

• Group:  Members *
  • Topic Count:  83
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  341
  • Content Per Day:  0.18

hes being philosophical, i am sure he doesn't really believe in greek gods

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  33
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

In Greek mythology Dionysus is the god of wild abandon and hedonistic pleasure.  He is the god of wine and therefore the god of drunkenness. He is the god who he himself lives a life of fleshly pleasure.

Apollo is a much harsher god.  He is the god of law and sometimes the god of brutal justice.  He is the other side of the coin.  Just as Dionysus is dedicated to pleasure, so Apollo is dedicated to legalistic authority.

The two of them represent the eternal question of how life ought to be lived.  Do I, like Dionysus, go for the gusto and live only for the moment. Or do I, like Apollo, discipline myself to a harsh and structured life that has very little room for pleasure.

The eternal question "What is the purpose of man - to experience life - or to discipline himself in the midst of life."

That's why the gospel of Jesus Christ answers this question with a third way.  It rejects this false dichotomy that life must be either hedonistic or legalistic. Instead it says that true life is found in the pleasure of serving something higher than yourself. It gives a purpose that goes beyond this world in time. As the Westminster Catechism asks and then answers: 1. What is the chief end of man --- "it is to glorify God and enjoy him forever."  This is the combination of the two lesser and false paths - it speaks of a pleasure (or at least joy) found in the high purpose and discipline of following God.

Edited by Pastor Who
  • Thumbs Up 3

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  2,679
  • Content Per Day:  1.39
  • Days Won:  16

false dichotomies are one of the most powerfully deceptive tools the devil has in his arsenal and we should be very aware  of that.  He'll take a subject and frame it  up in such a way that  BOTH viewpoints deny God's Word and then get us fussing over those while he  laughs behind his  hand.  The Word cuts through all that and we need to be familiar  with it so we can quickly see the false constructs and reorient the topic to God's way of seeing things.  Just as Pastor Who did in the above post.

Just a quick example is seeing people accept that there is "white" or good witchcraft and black magic....etc.  God forbade ALL witchcraft and this  is not so much an issue  with Christians (I'm pretty sure most  Christians still view any form of witchcraft as forbidden) but it's a pretty good example of a layer  of deception that appeals to the  mind and serves to obscure the truth of God's Word from people who don't know Him  yet.

I live in an area FULL of covens and little shops that sell all kinds of very, very  strange  ingredients and talismans for  spell casting.  Magic and witchcraft have a huge  following in this area.

Beware the false dichotomy  :)

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  33
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

I live in an area FULL of covens and little shops that sell all kinds of very, very  strange  ingredients and talismans for  spell casting.  Magic and witchcraft have a huge  following in this area.

It seems to me that the greater danger of witchcraft is not the magic or superstition that goes along with it.  The great problem is that it, as so many other things in the world, makes me the center of my life.  It seeks to empower me.  It is a supernatural world that puts me at the center of the web pulling all of the strings.  It is a religion of my spells, cast for me, for my life, for my purpose.

This is the opposite of Christianity.  Christianity is the pursuit of the upper way (i.e. God's way for me instead of my way for me).  In Isaiah 55:9 the Lord says,  "As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts."  

How can witchcraft ever rise above self because it is self.  Christianity, on the other hand, has no ceiling, no limit for it rises upward in pursuit of the eternal, unlimited God.

Edited by Pastor Who
spell check
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  2,679
  • Content Per Day:  1.39
  • Days Won:  16

11 minutes ago, Pastor Who said:

It seems to me that the greater danger of witchcraft is not the magic or superstition that goes along with it.  The great problem is that it, as so many other things in the world, makes me the center of my life.  It seeks to empower me.  It is a supernatural world that puts me at the center of the web pulling all of the strings.  It is a religion of my spells, cast for me, for my life, for my purpose.

This is the opposite of Christianity.  Christianity is the pursuit of the upper way (i.e. God's way for me instead of my way for me).  In Isaiah 55:9 the Lord says,  "As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts."  

How can witchcraft ever rise above self because it is self.  Christianity, on the other hand, has no ceiling, no limit for it rises upward in pursuit of the eternal, unlimited God.

I appreciate your insight and fully agree.  It appears you have been given an ability to cut  through clutter and focus  on the fundamental issues.  I think that is going  to be a powerfully  effective  tool very  soon when events tenderize hearts and inspire quests for truth more intense than we typically see right now.  I do think it's coming, and  probably pretty soon.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  221
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Birthday:  07/21/1945

On 1/27/2019 at 12:33 AM, gamnot said:

There are two gods fighting it out with one another; Dionysus, the God of the vine and Apollo the God of structure and form. The religion of Dionysus corrupts into reckless license and the religion of Apollo corrupts into goose stepping legalism. ..... but the way to life is straight and narrow as it is stated in the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

I should have done better in this opening post and used a better chose of words, maybe using the term archetypes rather than gods would have been better. An archetype is the central or organizing structure of a complex. Dionysus and Apollo were gods to the ancient Greeks, but they were false gods and that is the point that I was trying to make. .... It is a matter of semantics. ..... I appreciate your feedback. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,242
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

Col 2:8  See to it that no one takes you captive by philosophy and empty deceit, according to human tradition, according to the elemental spirits of the world, and not according to Christ.

You might reach people in the unbelievers pavilion with comparisons to philosophy, but in the believers area we will respond better to Scripture.

My dad considered himself a philosopher till he read "He Is There and He Is Not Silent" by Francis Schaeffer.  He gave his life to Christ a year before he passed away.

"He Is There and He Is Not Silent is divided into four chapters, followed by two appendices. The first of these chapters deals with metaphysics; the second, morals; and the third and fourth, epistemology. The first appendix concerns revelation and the second the concept of faith."  Wikipedia..

• Thumbs Up 1