• Content Count:  7,264
  • Content Per Day:  1.18
  • Days Won:  194

:(I recently learned about a suicide challenge game that threatens children 

About 'Momo Challenge'
Technology expert, law enforcement warn of viral social media game

By Destiny McKeiver - Multi-media journalist
Posted: 8:54 PM, January 24, 2019

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - Law enforcement agencies across the country are warning parents about a viral social media game called the  "Momo Challenge."

According to reports, under the "Momo" alias, children are being manipulated into sharing information or completing various tasks through WhatsApp and if the tasks aren't completed, the children are being blackmailed.

"The 'Momo Challenge' is really just another form of cyberbullying or manipulation," said technology expert Christopher Hamer.

Hamer compared the new challenge to the "Blue Whale Challenge," which is similar in that it asks players to commit suicide as the final task. 

The "Momo Challenge" targets teenagers on WhatsApp, trying to convince them to contact the "Momo" character on their cellphones. If they refuse to complete the challenge, threats and pictures are sent in response. 

On Thursday, News4Jax asked several parents if they had heard about the challenge. Most had not. 

"I never heard of it before today, but I'll be asking when I see him later on," said one mother, who wished to remain unnamed. 

Chris Baggett said he does not allow his 11-year-old to use a cellphone. 

"I let her do kids mode on an iPad, but I control all the apps," he said.

According to the St. Johns County Sheriff's Office, its Intelligence Unit has seen some talk about the game making the rounds on the web, but we have not had reported incidents in St. Johns County.

RELATED: Warning: New online ‘challenge' urges teens to commit suicide

Although there haven't been any reports of death related to the "Momo Challenge" in the United States, that does not mean parents shouldn't be on alert.

Hamer said the main things parents need to do are:

Track your child's internet usage.
Get apps that limit your child's access to certain features.
Keep an open line of communication with your child.
"There are many different applications out there. The technology can be just as much as a help as it can be a harm," Hamer said. "I have a program I use called 'Qustodio' and I use it for all of my children. It has various levels of control, from completely locking them down to simply allowing you to monitor 
what’s going on."

Right now, law enforcement officials don't know who's behind "Momo."

In a statement to Fox News, WhatsApp recommended users block Momo's contact and report it to WhatsApp.

Parents, if you hear your children talking about the "Momo Challenge," Hamer advises you to talk with them about the dangers and report anything suspicious to law enforcement.

The news broadcast source was news4jax.com 

WARNING: The creature looks creepy. It can have a startling effect.

Edited by turtletwo
added to it
  • Thanks 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  514
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  3,196
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Days Won:  1

1 hour ago, turtletwo said:

About 'Momo Challenge'
Technology expert, law enforcement warn of viral social media game

By Destiny McKeiver - Multi-media journalist
Posted: 8:54 PM, January 24, 2019

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - Law enforcement agencies across the country are warning parents about a viral social media game called the  "Momo Challenge."

According to reports, under the "Momo" alias, children are being manipulated into sharing information or completing various tasks through WhatsApp and if the tasks aren't completed, the children are being blackmailed.

"The 'Momo Challenge' is really just another form of cyberbullying or manipulation," said technology expert Christopher Hamer.

Hamer compared the new challenge to the "Blue Whale Challenge," which is similar in that it asks players to commit suicide as the final task. 

The "Momo Challenge" targets teenagers on WhatsApp, trying to convince them to contact the "Momo" character on their cellphones. If they refuse to complete the challenge, threats and pictures are sent in response. 

On Thursday, News4Jax asked several parents if they had heard about the challenge. Most had not. 

"I never heard of it before today, but I'll be asking when I see him later on," said one mother, who wished to remain unnamed. 

Chris Baggett said he does not allow his 11-year-old to use a cellphone. 

"I let her do kids mode on an iPad, but I control all the apps," he said.

According to the St. Johns County Sheriff's Office, its Intelligence Unit has seen some talk about the game making the rounds on the web, but we have not had reported incidents in St. Johns County.

RELATED: Warning: New online ‘challenge' urges teens to commit suicide

Although there haven't been any reports of death related to the "Momo Challenge" in the United States, that does not mean parents shouldn't be on alert.

Hamer said the main things parents need to do are:

Track your child's internet usage.
Get apps that limit your child's access to certain features.
Keep an open line of communication with your child.
"There are many different applications out there. The technology can be just as much as a help as it can be a harm," Hamer said. "I have a program I use called 'Qustodio' and I use it for all of my children. It has various levels of control, from completely locking them down to simply allowing you to monitor 
what’s going on."

Right now, law enforcement officials don't know who's behind "Momo."

In a statement to Fox News, WhatsApp recommended users block Momo's contact and report it to WhatsApp.

Parents, if you hear your children talking about the "Momo Challenge," Hamer advises you to talk with them about the dangers and report anything suspicious to law enforcement.

The news broadcast source was news4jax.com 

WARNING: The creature looks creepy. It can have a startling effect.

It is such a different world than when I was a kid. The definition of right and wrong was just beginning to be changed. The fruit of such a change is what we’re seeing. Right and wrong doesn’t  matter any more. Only getting what one wants at the moment.  No knowledge or fear of God before their eyes. Like the law they passed in New York where you can kill a baby up to the time it’s born. Evil has become good and good evil. And the evil is celebrated. 

All I can say is press into Christ more, so He can/will manifest Himself more in our lives.  

Blessings

much love in Christ, Not me  

• Thanks 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  242
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  1,562
  • Content Per Day:  0.77
  • Days Won:  0

If this isn't birdbox coming to life ...

So weird. Glad I was born in the 90's

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  48
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

How very sad.  Our culture is bound and determined to ruin children one way or another.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  332
  • Content Per Day:  0.15

Whilst unpleasant, I doubt any children would actually kill themselves for the sake of an internet challenge. Then again, I didn't think anyone would do that "puffy lips" challenge again after several people's lips had exploded - perhaps I give people too much credit.

Keep in mind that, should this challenge be issued to your child, to report the user's profile. They can always simply create another account, but it really does help to put a damper on them.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,268
  • Content Per Day:  0.97

7 hours ago, turtletwo said:

About 'Momo Challenge'

Thanks, turtle. I have twelve grand kids. I googled 'momo challenge', and found out it has got someway into "Minecraft", that my  grand kids use/play. Will give my children the heads up. And thank you for the heads up!

• This is Worthy 1
  • Brilliant! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  1,192
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  7,264
  • Content Per Day:  1.18
  • Days Won:  194

23 hours ago, Sower said:

Thanks, turtle. I have twelve grand kids. I googled 'momo challenge', and found out it has got someway into "Minecraft", that my  grand kids use/play. Will give my children the heads up. And thank you for the heads up!

@Sower You're welcome. I'm glad I could be of help, praise God :)Twelve! Wow. That's a blessing :) and they are blessed to have their grandpa looking out for them. 

My son knows more about games than I do. When we read your reply he said if it's getting into "Minecraft" that's really bad because it's so popular and tends to be considered harmless.

• Thanks 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,268
  • Content Per Day:  0.97

3 hours ago, turtletwo said:

@Sower You're welcome. I'm glad I could be of help, praise God :)Twelve! Wow. That's a blessing :) and they are blessed to have their grandpa looking out for them. 

My son knows more about games than I do. When we read your reply he said if it's getting into "Minecraft" that's really bad because it's so popular and tends to be considered harmless.

just a few...........

https://nypost.com/2018/08/16/disturbing-momo-suicide-game-has-taken-over-minecraft/

https://hitechchronicle.com/2018/08/the-momo-challenge-has-appeared-in-minecraft/

• Thanks 1