IGNORED

Who are the "dealers" of oil in the Parable of the 10 virgins?

Woman of faith

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  43
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  650
  • Content Per Day:  0.28
  • Days Won:  0

1 hour ago, Woman of faith said:

I was hoping to get some insight into this question

I tried to answer your question, hope that gave you some insight! 

Personally, I enjoyed the question and it made me think.

To wrap up:

If the oil is the Holy Spirit, or our relationship with God, or anything similar, then the "currency" to buy it is where we put our time and efforts, and the "dealers" are the Church, the Word, the poors and persecuted who are Jesus in disguise, and the unreached.

Investing our time, energy and even money on these activities edify us. And it requires the intentional decision to not use our resources in the things of the world instead.

By this I didn't mean that we buy the Holy Spirit in weird ways.

But I meant that day by day, with our decisions, we decide whether to make a way for the Holy Spirit in our hearts, through obeying what Jesus commanded, or not.

Actually, if you consider that in the same speech Jesus continues with the prables of the talents, and the sheep and the goats, this seems to be even more reasonable.

Edited by listener24

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

On 4/12/2019 at 6:01 AM, Woman of faith said:

I was reading about the 10 virgins in Matthew 25:1-10 and I know that the "oil" symbolizes either the Holy Spirit or walking in the Holy Spirit. But who are the "dealers" that the foolish virgins are to buy their oil from? 

"Then the kingdom of heaven will be like ten virgins who took their lamps and went to meet the bridegroomFive of them were foolishand five were wise. For when the foolish took their lampsthey took no oil with them, but the wise took flasks of oil with their lamps. As the bridegroom was delayed,they all became drowsy and slept. But at midnight there was a cry,‘Here is the bridegroomCome out to meet him.’ Then all those virgins rose and trimmed their lamps. And the foolish said to thewise, ‘Give us some of your oilfor our lamps are going out.’ But thewise answeredsaying, ‘Since there will not be enough for us and for you, go rather to the dealers and buy for yourselves.’ And while they were going to buythe bridegroom cameand ithose who were ready went in with him to the marriage feastand the door was shut." Matthew 25:1-10

I don't think you can buy the oil because it is The Holy Spirit which is God. It comes down to your belief in Jesus Christ. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.65
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

9 hours ago, Woman of faith said:

I sincerely wanted to know the answer to this question. I now understand that there are some things in the Bible we will never completely understand.

Actually, you may eventually get an answer to this, through the Holy Spirit, if you keep wondering about it. There are several scriptures I never fully understood yet still wondered about. I usually get answers but so far I've waited up to 40 yrs for a few.

I always considered the oil to be the HS too. But who are those dealers is your question. Suppose what Jesus was trying to make those capable of hearing Him understand is that the truth is there are no dealers with the things of God. The oil can be the HS, or maybe it's the good things we've done, the fruits of the Spirit, that hopefully we all have. Whatever the oil is, once we die, or if we get to see the return of our Lord, it will be too late. If we view the oil as fruits of the Spirit it may even be too late while we're alive but on our death beds. What do you think, Woman of Faith, maybe Jesus wanted people to realize you can't go to any person for the things that matter to God, you have to get them yourself.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  266
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,201
  • Content Per Day:  3.49
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 10:31 PM, Woman of faith said:

I was reading about the 10 virgins in Matthew 25:1-10 and I know that the "oil" symbolizes either the Holy Spirit or walking in the Holy Spirit. But who are the "dealers" that the foolish virgins are to buy their oil from? 

"Then the kingdom of heaven will be like ten virgins who took their lamps and went to meet the bridegroomFive of them were foolishand five were wise. For when the foolish took their lampsthey took no oil with them, but the wise took flasks of oil with their lamps. As the bridegroom was delayed,they all became drowsy and slept. But at midnight there was a cry,‘Here is the bridegroomCome out to meet him.’ Then all those virgins rose and trimmed their lamps. And the foolish said to the wise, ‘Give us some of your oilfor our lamps are going out.’ But thewise answeredsaying, ‘Since there will not be enough for us and for you, go rather to the dealers and buy for yourselves.’ And while they were going to buythe bridegroom cameand ithose who were ready went in with him to the marriage feastand the door was shut." Matthew 25:1-10

Hi Woman of faith,

Interesting question which has brought up that many Christians have been taught to read God`s word as all about themselves. It is not. It is all about the Lord, His character and His purposes for - the Body of Christ, for Israel and for the nations.

So in this passage here of Matthew 25 we see the Lord talking to the people of Israel concerning the promise of God for rulership through them as a nation over the nations of the world. The `kingdom of heaven,` is the rulership from heaven through Israel. Daniel spoke of this time - `the God of heaven will set up a kingdom,` (Dan. 2: 44) This is shortened to `the kingdom (rule) of heaven.` This will be in the millennium when God will rule through Israel over the nations. This is the rulership, (kingdom) that Israel was promised and was looking forward to. Jesus used parables to remind Israel of God`s promises. All the parables point to the type of rulership God will set up and who will be there.

But many have been deceived into thinking it is `all about us.` Well it isn`t and the discussion clearly shows that trying to work it as `all about us` doesn`t work.

So...I believe, the Lord is talking about when He would come at the darkest hour - bridegroom comes at midnight. This is the darkest time in the tribulation when all the earth is in darkness. (Rev. 16: 10)

Then we read of the `virgins.` The people of Israel knew that God referred to them as a `Virgin.`  “O virgin of Israel!...` (Ez. 31: 4) The people also knew that the `oil` was used to separate the holy from the unholy. “...the anointing oil is upon you....that you may distinguish between the holy and unholy..” (Lev. 10: 7 & 10)

So we see that the Lord is reminding the people of Israel that when it is time for the rulership of heaven to come, then they need to be righteous - `fearing the Lord,` and `meditating on His name.` (Mal. 3: 16)

Then there will be discernment `between the righteous and the wicked.` (Mal. 3: 18) A dividing, signified by a half, 5 & 5. The number 10 refers to the law and thus those who followed the Law, the holy, the righteous, and those who did not follow the Law, the wicked, the unholy.

The `wedding,` feast is the joyous time when those in Israel receive the Lord as their Messiah and are `married,` connected as a nation, to God again.

“Return, O backsliding children, says the Lord; for I am married to you,..` “ (Jer. 3: 14)

`Married,` Heb. word `baal,` to be master, have dominion over.

Thus this parable, (as with the others) has to do with the Lord reuniting with Israel and who will go into the millennium, the rulership, (kingdom) of heaven through Israel over the nations. Those who sell, are those who have the required offerings for people to give, in the temple. Remember Jesus went into the temple and drove out all those who bought and sold in the temple, as they were making it for monetary gain and not for just temple offerings. (Matt. 21: 12 & 13)

regards, Marilyn.

BTW God always gives HIS interpretation of HIS word, & not for us to think it is always about us and twist scripture.

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,979
  • Content Per Day:  0.98

On 4/12/2019 at 3:01 AM, Woman of faith said:

But who are the "dealers" that the foolish virgins are to buy their oil from? 

Hi, welcome to Worthy!

While some of the answers you have received are correct, ...and some are not, ...let the Holy Spirit decide for you,

...to answer your question, ...the dealers are the "snake oil" salesmen so prevalent on TV today, they shuck and jive and con people with their fake healings, they fill auditoriums and stadiums with the gullible in the hope the Holy Spirit will answer their prayers, ...don't believe they are selling the Holy Spirit, just look at their wealth, their mansions, their Rolls-Royce', their extravagant lifestyles!

Jesus was teaching us how it would be just before He returned for His Bride, ...looks to me everything is falling into place.

Lord bless   

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, JustPassingThru said:

Hi, welcome to Worthy!

While some of the answers you have received are correct, ...and some are not, ...let the Holy Spirit decide for you,

...to answer your question, ...the dealers are the "snake oil" salesmen so prevalent on TV today, they shuck and jive and con people with their fake healings, they fill auditoriums and stadiums with the gullible in the hope the Holy Spirit will answer their prayers, ...don't believe they are selling the Holy Spirit, just look at their wealth, their mansions, their Rolls-Royce', their extravagant lifestyles!

Jesus was teaching us how it would be just before He returned for His Bride, ...looks to me everything is falling into place.

Lord bless   

Hi JustPassingThru,

And what scripture/s do you have to back up your claim that the `dealers` are the `snake oil` salesmen on TV today? While I agree those preachers are wrong, there is NO scripture, that I can see to back up your claim. You are turning God`s word into a free for all as about US and twisting God`s truth for our ends, (all about us.)

WE, are NOT central to God`s word, it is all about Christ, His character and His purposes. By making scripture as all about US, we are placing ourselves as front and centre. No, Christ is pre-eminent in ALL THINGS. 

Marilyn.

2 minutes ago, Marilyn C said:

And what scripture/s do you have to back up your claim that the `dealers` are the `snake oil` salesmen on TV today?

This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come. For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good, Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God;  Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away. For of this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts, Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.  2 Tim 3:1-7

Sister, you be the judge John 7:24, ...are they or are they not men not selling the Holy Spirit?

1 hour ago, JustPassingThru said:

This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come. For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good, Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God;  Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away. For of this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts, Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.  2 Tim 3:1-7

Sister, you be the judge John 7:24, ...are they or are they not men not selling the Holy Spirit?

Hi JustpassingThru,

Good scripture there but it is relating to the Body of Christ.

1. You have not given scriptures to show the when Jesus was talking about His rulership, (kingdom) through Israel that that applies to US.

2.Also you have not shown that the Lord when talking about the oil, was referring to the Holy Spirit which was not given then but was relating to what they knew of `anointing` with oil, holy as against unholy.

3. You have not shown scriptures to prove that we are the bride.

4. You have not shown scriptures that we will be in darkness that this day will overtake us as a thief.

Much there that needs explaining from God`s word.

Marilyn.   

2 hours ago, JustPassingThru said:

Hi JustPassingThru,

Another important point. You say `let the Holy Spirit decide for you.` Sounds very spiritual, but who of us can say we hear the Holy Spirit 100% accurately. None. That is why when reading and discussing God`s word we look at what the Lord, by His Holy Spirit says in His word. It is not for us to just `hear,` or have a `gut feeling,` but what does God`s word say.

And what does God`s word say in line with His character and His purposes for - the Body of Christ, for Israel and the Nations.

We need to humble ourselves under God and what He says in line with HIS PURPOSES, otherwise we are adding or taking away, or twisting it. And that is very, very dangerous.

Marilyn.

• This is Worthy 1
  • Loved it! 1

4 minutes ago, Marilyn C said:

Good scripture there but it is relating to the Body of Christ.

1. You have not given scriptures to show the when Jesus was talking about His rulership, (kingdom) through Israel that that applies to US.

2.Also you have not shown that the Lord when talking about the oil, was referring to the Holy Spirit which was not given then but was relating to what they knew of `anointing` with oil, holy as against unholy.

3. You have not shown scriptures to prove that we are the bride.

4. You have not shown scriptures that we will be in darkness that this day will overtake us as a thief.

Much there that needs explain from God`s word.

Marilyn.   

Sorry Marilyn, but, ...if you don't know the answer to what you have asked me in his post, then I humbly suggest you ask your pastor to explain the basics of what we believe in the Christian faith to you.

Lord bless