IGNORED

Why is the Soul Thought to Be Immoratal?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.65
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

I've often heard people say to others, "you should worry about your immortal soul". I'm not referring to gaining immortality by faith Jesus. I mean the idea that the soul lives forever regardless of what happens to it. Why do people believe this, where does this belief come from? I'll leave the question simple for now although I could have said more.

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  241
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,946
  • Content Per Day:  3.27
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

7 minutes ago, JTC said:

I've often heard people say to others, "you should worry about your immortal soul". I'm not referring to gaining immortality by faith Jesus. I mean the idea that the soul lives forever regardless of what happens to it. Why do people believe this, where does this belief come from? I'll leave the question simple for now although I could have said more.

Here's one of my reasons for believing there is another state of being after this one, for both the lost and the saved.

Luk 12:4-5
(4)  "And I say to you, My friends, do not be afraid of those who kill the body, and after that have no more that they can do.
(5)  But I will show you whom you should fear: Fear Him who, after He has killed, has power to cast into hell; yes, I say to you, fear Him!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.80
  • Days Won:  226

2 hours ago, JTC said:

God created our souls immortal. A believers soul goes on to live for an eternity with God into the eternal state. That is our reward as a believer. The unbelievers soul is also immortal. It will go on to exist in hell for an eternity. Fully conscious of what is going on. 

Edited by missmuffet
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Brilliant! 1
  • Oy Vey! 1

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.92
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

17 minutes ago, missmuffet said:

God created our souls immortal. A believers soul goes on to live for an eternity with God into the eternal state. That is our reward as a believer. The unbelievers soul is also immortal. It will go on to exist in hell for an eternity. Fully conscious of what is going on. 

This pretty well sums it up for me. Beautifully and well stated. Thanks, missmuffet. God bless. 

Shalom, 

David/BeauJangles

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  241
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,946
  • Content Per Day:  3.27
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

Immoratal?

I wish I had clearance to correct spelling. Maybe the poster can still edit the error out of this thread's heading. I'm not OCD about these but they do crop up with regularity. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,242
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

1Pe 1:9 NKJV  receiving the end of your faith—the salvation of your souls.

Jhn 3:16 “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.

1Jo 5:12 He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have life.

Rom 8:9  But you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. Now if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is not His. Rom 8:10  And if Christ is in you, the body is dead because of sin, but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.

We have eternal life now due to Christ dwelling in us.  He is life.  When our bodies die our souls go immediately to be with the Lord for as long as He lives--eternity.  

Php 1:21  For to me, to live is Christ, and to die is gain.  Php 1:22  But if I live on in the flesh, this will mean fruit from my labor; yet what I shall choose I cannot tell.  Php 1:23  For I am hard-pressed between the two, having a desire to depart and be with Christ, which is far better.

2Co 5:8  We are confident, yes, well pleased rather to be absent from the body and to be present with the Lord.

12 hours ago, Michael37 said:

Here's one of my reasons for believing there is another state of being after this one, for both the lost and the saved.

Luk 12:4-5
(4)  "And I say to you, My friends, do not be afraid of those who kill the body, and after that have no more that they can do.
(5)  But I will show you whom you should fear: Fear Him who, after He has killed, has power to cast into hell; yes, I say to you, fear Him!

Hey Michael,  So far you have given the only real answer to the question. I was hoping for a Biblical reason cause all I could find were pagan reasons. It's almost embarrasing that I didn't think of this cause Luke is my favorite gospel. However, due to my poor eyesight I've had to always listen to the Bible instead of reading it. Interestingly, there are points that come through better when listening to the Word but other things are clearer when we read it. I was raised to think we have immortal souls but lately I wanted to discover just why do we believe this. Thanks again.

Sorry my spell checker missed immortal in the title, I thought it looked wrong but I rely on spell check. I can't edit the title only my own posts. Maybe a mod will be so kind as to do it.