Sign in to follow this  
mlbrokish

Predetermined life vs. free will

2 minutes ago, johnthebaptist said:

I imagine he will try to do that, or to the next best thing.

Then I wonder if it is truly 100% our choosing?? or  is there something more that I am not understanding?

I only question it because I really want to learn from others' interpretations.

mlb

20 minutes ago, johnthebaptist said:

Back in Genesis, the Lord said a husband would rule over his wife (Gen 3:16) as the result of Adam and Eve's sin. I suspect many interpret that as the Lord's wish that a husband should rule over his wife. I think, instead, he simply was predicting one of the consequences of the sin.

It is God's will.  Woman was created to be a helpmeet to a man.  That is why God said he created woman.  It was always God's will, but before the fall, there was no strife.  The curse brought the division and strife that required God to say that the man was to rule over his wife.

10 minutes ago, mlbrokish said:

Then I wonder if it is truly 100% our choosing?? or  is there something more that I am not understanding?

mlb

There is too much in the Bible that shows God saying things will happen and they do for me to believe we have absolute free will.  From our perspective, we make decisions, but God created us knowing all we would ever do.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, mlbrokish said:

mlb

Also remember that God has a plan in Revelation.  If we had absolute free will, we would have the power to stop it.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Huh?  I don't get it. 1

3 hours ago, Firm Foundation said:

Also remember that God has a plan in Revelation.  If we had absolute free will, we would have the power to stop it.

Thank you! You just gave me my next goal - to read more into the book of Revelation.  I have read passages hear and there, but only a couple. Now you have peaked my interest to read more in depth. 

Glory to God!

with much appreciation,

mlb

• Praise God! 1

On 6/3/2019 at 1:36 AM, mlbrokish said:
I have had this question for some time and posed it to a friend the other day, although worded somewhat differently...

How much of our life is predetermined by God and how much is free to choose?

what did u have for breakfast? was it your choice or determined, what did u wear to today, did u choose your own clothes or did God choose them for u, where did go to work to day? is that a job u chose, do u have a medical condition, that's fate, do u have siblings, that's determined by God, who are u parents, there is no choice in that.

8 hours ago, mlbrokish said:

mlb

First of all, I don't fully understand the Lord's plan. It just makes sense to me that he has a plan for each of us that will make us very happy. However, to realize that plan, we need to do things his way. We all sin and fall short. Certainly the Lord takes that into account. He will do everything he can to lead us into a life that will make us very happy.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Firm Foundation said:

It is God's will.  Woman was created to be a helpmeet to a man.  That is why God said he created woman.  It was always God's will, but before the fall, there was no strife.  The curse brought the division and strife that required God to say that the man was to rule over his wife.

That would be great for men - not so great for women - it seems to me. I think the Lord is just and created us all with the same rights.

1 minute ago, johnthebaptist said:

That would be great for men - not so great for women - it seems to me. I think the Lord is just and created us all with the same rights.

I believe what the Bible says.  I don't go by personal feelings.

1 hour ago, Firm Foundation said:

I believe what the Bible says.  I don't go by personal feelings.

I go by what Jesus says - love your neighbor as yourself.

Sign in to follow this