Have I been praying the wrong way?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  241
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  1,558
  • Content Per Day:  0.77
  • Days Won:  0

Usually when i pray I tell God everything thats on my mind... Then i get up and go about doing whatever I do. 

But Ive been thinking ... And hearing after you pray you should wait for God's response. Should you? If you don't does that mean youre only doing a half prayer? 

How do you pray? 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  513
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  3,193
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Days Won:  1

9 minutes ago, Figure of eighty said:

Usually when i pray I tell God everything thats on my mind... Then i get up and go about doing whatever I do. 

But Ive been thinking ... And hearing after you pray you should wait for God's response. Should you? If you don't does that mean youre only doing a half prayer? 

How do you pray? 

No I don’t think so.

Prayer is your heart talking to God. If you feel it’s time to add a little waiting on God, that is totally up to what your heart and personal relationship with Him is telling and asking of you.

For it’s your personal one and one relationship with Him that is your life and all good things. 

Blessings, 

Much love in Christ, Not me

Edited by Not me
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,679
  • Content Per Day:  1.39
  • Days Won:  16

Just now, Figure of eighty said:

How do you pray? 

Figure,  i can say emphatically.....YES.  Please do learn to wait on Him and listen.  It was decades after I was born again I learned that was important and I can't even begin to tell you what not understanding that cost me in growth. 

Be still, and know that I am God;
I will be exalted among the nations,
I will be exalted in the earth!

When He finally got my attention on that verse and understanding it was a command I should be obeying, I began to make the attempt.  The first thing I learned was just how unruly my  own mind is.  I'd determine to "wait" quietly  and expectantly, and actually manage to do it for 15 seconds :)   Over and over i'd "come to" and realize my  mind was off over somewhere else thinking about where I wanted to go eat lunch, or what  I had to do at work the next day, or when i was gonna cleann the mold ouf of the bottom drawer of the refrigerator.  And the second thing I learned was just how NEGATIVE that  internal 'self-talk' was....and constant.  Busy, busy busy...much ado about  nothing important.

It was discouraging but  I did keep at it.  I'd go rope my mind and drag it back to trying to wait quietly and expectantly....and 30 seconds later have to do it all over again.

But even  though it took a while, and quite a few attempts to just  be obedient, things did begin to change.  My  mind became a bit more submitted to discipline and i could stay focused longer and longer.   And eventually He did show up. 

Then I learned that there  truly is a "knowing" of Him found in stillness that cannot be had any  other way.  It became a joy, and He began to show up more often and more quickly.  And the times became precious to me....i didn't have to force myself to choose to  do it  out of sheer obedience.  I started looking forward  to  it.

But those who wait on the LORD
Shall renew their strength;
They shall mount up with wings like eagles,
They shall run and not be weary,
They shall walk and not faint.

and there is strength available to us in it.  Lots of good  stuff in fact.  Being more aware of  all that "self-talk" going on inside also gave me opportunities to engage His  process for transforming my mind.  Taking thoughts captive to the obedience of Christ.    It's a great way to give Him a place to accellerate our growth in Him.

Rock on sister, it may cost  you  some effort at the  beginning, but  the price far less than the  benefits.

He  wants a RELATIONSHIP with those  He loves, and  that's you.  And a relationship is a two way  conversation.   He  really wants to speak to us too.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  43
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.92
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

37 minutes ago, Figure of eighty said:

Nothing wrong with that. You're an expectant mother with a job, and that's quite busy enough. 

38 minutes ago, Figure of eighty said:

Sure, you can always wait to hear from the Lord. But when you're busy, God understands this. Never think of it as half praying, just because your schedule may be full. The Lord is always glad to hear from you. 

• Loved it! 1

Thank u all for your input its veey insightful.

• Loved it! 1
  • Praise God! 1

30 minutes ago, Jostler said:

Figure,  i can say emphatically.....YES.  Please do learn to wait on Him and listen.  It was decades after I was born again I learned that was important and I can't even begin to tell you what not understanding that cost me in growth. 

When He finally got my attention on that verse and understanding it was a command I should be obeying, I began to make the attempt.  The first thing I learned was just how unruly my  own mind is.  I'd determine to "wait" quietly  and expectantly, and actually manage to do it for 15 seconds :)   Over and over i'd "come to" and realize my  mind was off over somewhere else thinking about where I wanted to go eat lunch, or what  I had to do at work the next day, or when i was gonna cleann the mold ouf of the bottom drawer of the refrigerator.  And the second thing I learned was just how NEGATIVE that  internal 'self-talk' was....and constant.  Busy, busy busy...much ado about  nothing important.

It was discouraging but  I did keep at it.  I'd go rope my mind and drag it back to trying to wait quietly and expectantly....and 30 seconds later have to do it all over again.

But even  though it took a while, and quite a few attempts to just  be obedient, things did begin to change.  My  mind became a bit more submitted to discipline and i could stay focused longer and longer.   And eventually He did show up. 

Then I learned that there  truly is a "knowing" of Him found in stillness that cannot be had any  other way.  It became a joy, and He began to show up more often and more quickly.  And the times became precious to me....i didn't have to force myself to choose to  do it  out of sheer obedience.  I started looking forward  to  it.

and there is strength available to us in it.  Lots of good  stuff in fact.  Being more aware of  all that "self-talk" going on inside also gave me opportunities to engage His  process for transforming my mind.  Taking thoughts captive to the obedience of Christ.    It's a great way to give Him a place to accellerate our growth in Him.

Rock on sister, it may cost  you  some effort at the  beginning, but  the price far less than the  benefits.

He  wants a RELATIONSHIP with those  He loves, and  that's you.  And a relationship is a two way  conversation.   He  really wants to speak to us too.

How long should i wait after i pray?

• Loved it! 1

How long should i wait after i pray?

until He shows up.....if you can :)   sis if you're anything like I was, it took me some to get my mind under good enough control to actually wait in stillness and just listening.  I pray it  won't take you as long.  But even if you  don't become aware of His presence the  first  try, I think you'll appreciate the fact you kept trying when He does show up.

He's addictive  :)  Even  if it  takes you  month of waiting a few minutes a day, His promise is sure, He will meet with  you.

• Loved it! 1

5 minutes ago, Jostler said:

until He shows up.....if you can :)   sis if you're anything like I was, it took me some to get my mind under good enough control to actually wait in stillness and just listening.  I pray it  won't take you as long.  But even if you  don't become aware of His presence the  first  try, I think you'll appreciate the fact you kept trying when He does show up.

He's addictive  :)  Even  if it  takes you  month of waiting a few minutes a day, His promise is sure, He will meet with  you.

Oh thank you...and yes my mind is horrible. I have so many distractions bc my mind is so unruly and wandering...its crazy.  

Ill try 15 to 20 minutes of quiet time.

Oh thank you...and yes my mind is horrible. I have so many distractions bc my mind is so unruly and wandering...its crazy.  

Ill try 15 to 20 minutes of quiet time.

five minutes is worth it even if that were all you can stand at first.  it might  be a battle at first and if it is be sure to ask Him for help.  but IMO  it's a fight worth fighting.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1

2 minutes ago, Jostler said:

five minutes is worth it even if that were all you can stand at first.  it might  be a battle at first and if it is be sure to ask Him for help.  but IMO  it's a fight worth fighting.

Thanks so much. Yeah 5 minutes is a good starting point.. Ill defintely try that. 

Maybe praying in the spirit will help with the wait.

• Thumbs Up 1