Kristin

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  875
  • Content Per Day:  0.41
  • Days Won:  1

Thank you friends for commenting. I think cigarettes are worse than coffee or tea. Because it also offends others. I think that is a line. Nobody is bothered by your coffee, but folks hate smoke!  

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,764
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  28

6 minutes ago, Kristin said:

Thank you friends for commenting. I think cigarettes are worse than coffee or tea. Because it also offends others. I think that is a line. Nobody is bothered by your coffee, but folks hate smoke!  

Just put Jesus first and everything else will fall in place in God's timing :)

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Praise God! 1

1 minute ago, angels4u said:

Just put Jesus first and everything else will fall in place in God's timing :)

Yes. Ok. I’m feeling like I’m going to search for a cig butt, but I want to quit. I really do. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, Kristin said:

Yes. Ok. I’m feeling like I’m going to search for a cig butt, but I want to quit. I really do. 

I remember those days,one of these days you might put those butts under the tap so you can't use it anymore,trust God and listen to His voice,He might suprise you with deliverance without you doing or trying to do it on your own ..:)

God is good and wants you healthy,and He will get the glory when He sets you free! We can't do it on our own ....

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  24
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,459
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  2

6 hours ago, Kristin said:

I smoke cigerettes. My dad bought me patches to quit. I’m 51. My dear dad is 84. I feel addiction is a sin. But  it’s hard. I put the patch on 

It seems that Christians often think of sin exclusively in a legal sense of breaking God's rules and that it is our job to learn the rules and follow them the best we can.

I think a more comprehensive view of sin is any falling short of God's ideal intent for our life.  I think God created us (looking back at Eden) to live in a clean atmosphere which isn't going to cause health problems and shorten our life.  Is smoking falling short?  I think yes.  Is living in an area with unhealthy pollution in the air falling short?  I think yes.  Is choosing to share an apartment with a smoker falling short?  I think yes.    Is living in a house with severe radon gas problems falling short?  I think yes.   Is failing to test for radon and continuing to live in a house with radon problems falling short?  I think yes.   Is having a job working with dusty particulates without adequate masks falling short?  I think so.  Is painting or using chemicals without appropriate masks falling short?  I think so.  Christians often get hung up on whether there is guilt, rule breaking, and punishment involved rather than the condition of our lungs.

I'll call it out that all of the things mentioned fall short of God's plan for human beings to freely breathe without shortening their lives or causing health problems.  I think that this is a more complete view of sin because all of these things are doing the same thing to us, causing health problems and shortening our life.  Which is worse?  Being addicted to smoking or choosing to work in a high paying job that exposes one to dangerous inhalants?  In one sense, this is  arguing over whether addiction or conscious choices cause more guilt.  In another sense, each is falling short and doing similar damage.

There are two aspects to something like smoking (or in more general breathing unhealthy air).  The first is mitigating the effects simply to improve our health.  The second is finding freedom from it.   First, it is simply prudent to take practical steps to reduce the amount of damage to our lungs.  If that is a nicotine patch, fine.  If that is wearing a mask at work, fine.   The second is finding freedom from the cause of lung damage.  Sometimes this might be a simple choice (i.e. quitting a job).  Other times it might be something that requires God to do healing or deliverance in our lives.

• Thumbs Up 2

11 minutes ago, GandalfTheWise said:

It seems that Christians often think of sin exclusively in a legal sense of breaking God's rules and that it is our job to learn the rules and follow them the best we can.

I think a more comprehensive view of sin is any falling short of God's ideal intent for our life.  I think God created us (looking back at Eden) to live in a clean atmosphere which isn't going to cause health problems and shorten our life.  Is smoking falling short?  I think yes.  Is living in an area with unhealthy pollution in the air falling short?  I think yes.  Is choosing to share an apartment with a smoker falling short?  I think yes.    Is living in a house with severe radon gas problems falling short?  I think yes.   Is failing to test for radon and continuing to live in a house with radon problems falling short?  I think yes.   Is having a job working with dusty particulates without adequate masks falling short?  I think so.  Is painting or using chemicals without appropriate masks falling short?  I think so.  Christians often get hung up on whether there is guilt, rule breaking, and punishment involved rather than the condition of our lungs.

I'll call it out that all of the things mentioned fall short of God's plan for human beings to freely breathe without shortening their lives or causing health problems.  I think that this is a more complete view of sin because all of these things are doing the same thing to us, causing health problems and shortening our life.  Which is worse?  Being addicted to smoking or choosing to work in a high paying job that exposes one to dangerous inhalants?  In one sense, this is  arguing over whether addiction or conscious choices cause more guilt.  In another sense, each is falling short and doing similar damage.

There are two aspects to something like smoking (or in more general breathing unhealthy air).  The first is mitigating the effects simply to improve our health.  The second is finding freedom from it.   First, it is simply prudent to take practical steps to reduce the amount of damage to our lungs.  If that is a nicotine patch, fine.  If that is wearing a mask at work, fine.   The second is finding freedom from the cause of lung damage.  Sometimes this might be a simple choice (i.e. quitting a job).  Other times it might be something that requires God to do healing or deliverance in our lives.

I have discovered just being alive is a sin. I’m filled with it. That’s why Jesus came and did what he did!  I’m a mess. I need help!  Thank you Lord!  

• Praying! 1

19 minutes ago, angels4u said:

I remember those days,one of these days you might put those butts under the tap so you can't use it anymore,trust God and listen to His voice,He might suprise you with deliverance without you doing or trying to do it on your own ..:)

God is good and wants you healthy,and He will get the glory when He sets you free! We can't do it on our own ....

God has healed me from prancreatitis. I’m hoping He will heal me from addiction. Let’s pray and praise Him so I can become free. 

• Praise God! 2

7 minutes ago, Kristin said:

God has healed me from prancreatitis. I’m hoping He will heal me from addiction. Let’s pray and praise Him so I can become free. 

God is amazing , I'm so glad He healed you from this awful disease,He will give you strength to quit if you let Him,just take one day at the time :)

• Thumbs Up 1

I believe I can become free like God promises me. I’m stepping out in faith with a patch and a prayer. I want to be free like Christ says we are. 

• Praise God! 1

1 hour ago, missmuffet said:

Kristin I smoke cigarettes too. I have for many years. Many people smoke because it relieves their anxiety. It is not a habit it is an addiction and yes it is a sin. It is best to not have any addictions. Alcohol, nicotine and caffeine are all drugs. All of these drugs have a potential to be addicting. Do not let anyone point their finger at you who consume any alcohol or drink coffee or drink soda pop with caffeine or consume chocolate because that is being a hypocrite because not only is smoking cigarettes a sin so is consuming any kind of alcohol or consuming anything with caffeine such as I mentioned above. 

I agree. Everyone is a sinner that’s why Jesus came. I’m going to quit this sin because it bothers people around me. Just because I quit this one doesn’t mean I’m sinless. I’ve got many I think ☹️

• Thumbs Up 1