• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  16
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/11/1945

I'm writing stories on Christian values. Would the world listen if Israeli Seminary students come publically against world values?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  24
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,459
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  2

A poor story is just a morality lecture that is little different than quoting scripture to someone who does not believe in biblical authority.   A good story will draw in the listener, strong feelings will arise in agreement with the main point, and then perhaps the story might flip a mirror back on them.   This is not just pointing out something is wrong.  It is drawing someone in so that they agree that it is wrong.  I think many parables in the Bible are solid examples of good stories that express biblical values.

The use of parables goes back at least as far as Nathan with King David.  Various prophets used them and Jesus used them extensively.   If you write morality plays, people will probably just ignore them or dislike them.  If you write effective parables, people will learn and see things differently.

It's the difference between telling someone what to think and leading them along a path to where they naturally come to that conclusion on their own.

• Thumbs Up 3

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,300
  • Content Per Day:  1.72

14 hours ago, Jim Sorrell said:

I'm writing stories on Christian values. Would the world listen if Israeli Seminary students come publically against world values?

As gandalf has said, it depends on how exciting you make the story, how relevent to the story the discussions about morality or Christianity.

Develope a story that contrasts secular values and contrast it with Christian values.

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.31
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

20 hours ago, Jim Sorrell said:

I'm having trouble understanding your meaning. The Lord teaches us the world is an evil place, so being against world values is good. Is that what you are trying to say?

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  332
  • Content Per Day:  0.16

I agree with Gandolf, insomuch that those types of things don't normally get through to many unbelievers. That, and you would have to capture their interest, which is a terribly difficult thing to do. Just look at TV and movies - They make that trash because people (primarily unbelievers) like that trash. That's not to say that it would be impossible, mind you. 

I've considered writing a book series myself, if I were a better writer, more skilled in the English language, and had the patience to even bother with it. We all know the generic knight character; attempting to emulate honor and justice, with a gleaming sword dyed red with the blood of the wicked - i've always wanted to take a character like that and, through the series, show how vigilante justice and dreams of grandeur often fall drastically short in reality. In order to make a story compelling or interesting, you have to capture people's imagination, and more often than not, the imaginations of man are... Not very wholesome. A story like mine would have to have lots of bloodshed and violence, dark and depressing sentiments, who knows what else.

Just as with Gandolf, I think it best if a person sticks to scripture. If a person can hear words of wisdom and righteousness from the very pages of the Bible, and they refuse to listen? How much more so then, when a story is crafted based around such scripture, will they refuse to listen?

Edited by dr3032

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  1,502
  • Content Per Day:  0.66

22 hours ago, Jim Sorrell said:

We Jews are a minority, and like the minority of true born again Christians, persecuted. The world hardly ever listens to anything Israel or the Jewish people claim or believe.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.80
  • Days Won:  226

47 minutes ago, Billiards Ball said:

We Jews are a minority, and like the minority of true born again Christians, persecuted. The world hardly ever listens to anything Israel or the Jewish people claim or believe.

The Jews do not believe in Jesus Christ. The Christian Jew does believe in Jesus Christ. 

54 minutes ago, missmuffet said:

The Jews do not believe in Jesus Christ. The Christian Jew does believe in Jesus Christ. 

A good example. My fellow Jews say I'm not Jewish for trusting in Christ, that is, the Jewish Messiah!

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.80
  • Days Won:  226

10 hours ago, Billiards Ball said:

A good example. My fellow Jews say I'm not Jewish for trusting in Christ, that is, the Jewish Messiah!

That is because the Jew does not believe that Jesus Christ died on the cross for our sins. They do not believe that Jesus Christ has come back yet. Although there are Christian Jews. They are Jewish but they believe in Jesus Christ. I think there are quite a few of them out there. 

6 hours ago, missmuffet said:

That is because the Jew does not believe that Jesus Christ died on the cross for our sins. They do not believe that Jesus Christ has come back yet. Although there are Christian Jews. They are Jewish but they believe in Jesus Christ. I think there are quite a few of them out there. 

You are right, I'm a Christian Jew and wish there were more of us for fellowship. When you witness to Jewish people, be sure to read to them Isaiah 53, then ask them who the chapter speaks of--they will usually say, "Jesus, but I don't believe the New Testament," then you can tell them you were reading from the Hebrew scriptures the prophecies of Isaiah, 700 years before Jesus was born!

Thank you.

• Loved it! 1