• Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.33
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

8 hours ago, Deborah_ said:

It's interesting that the English are more positive about the Harry Potter stories than the Americans.

Even more interesting that when it comes to Halloween (also with occult associations) it tends to be the other way round.

Is there a subtle culture difference here? And bearing in mind that J K Rowling is English, are we likely to understand her better on this side of the Atlantic?

ALL GLORY TO THE LORD .       You looking at one who dwells in America and has no problem with exposing BOTH .   

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

5 hours ago, maryjayne said:

I think some of the subtleties are missed and the humour missed and the self deprecating irony is missed, and the allegorical aspects are missed by readers in the US

It is read as a straight text without nuance.

I wonder what they make of the Narnia series?

Harry Potter does not have a positive biblical world view like C.S Lewis's Narnia. It is just about a witch and sorcery which the bible says a Christian should reject. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,127
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

does anyone know anyone who has approached witchcraft for real from reading the books or watching the movies???

1 minute ago, other one said:

does anyone know anyone who has approached witchcraft for real from reading the books or watching the movies???

That is not the point. It is compromising our faith. The Bible tells us to stay away from those things. Do you not think we should do what God wants us to do?

• This is Worthy 1
  • Praise God! 1

Just now, missmuffet said:

That is not the point. It is compromising our faith. The Bible tells us to stay away from those things. Do you not think we should do what God wants us to do?

it's no more compromising our faith than micky mouse cartoons.   and since you haven't read them I really fail to see how you are qualified to really make that kind of statement.

1 minute ago, other one said:

it's no more compromising our faith than micky mouse cartoons.   and since you haven't read them I really fail to see how you are qualified to really make that kind of statement.

Mickey mouse vs Harry Potter? You are right I have not read them and I am not planning on doing so.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  39
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  24,675
  • Content Per Day:  5.76
  • Days Won:  161
  • Birthday:  01/30/1985

It is really simple. If you feel that Harry Potter is bad and you want to stay away from it you are welcome. But allow me to make the choice not to agree with you.

I still ask the same question.....    has anyone ever known of anyone young or old that has been drawn to witchcraft from watching or reading...…    I'm serious.....   I've looked.

The movies are a total fantasy compared to reality.....   and it did give me the opportunity to inform my kids about what real witchcraft is and where it leads.....   and there are no real good witches...   But I would not recommend without supervision.....   but that goes with just about any movie....      Signs was more bothersome to me than these movies.

2 hours ago, other one said:

I still ask the same question.....    has anyone ever known of anyone young or old that has been drawn to witchcraft from watching or reading...…    I'm serious.....   I've looked.

The movies are a total fantasy compared to reality.....   and it did give me the opportunity to inform my kids about what real witchcraft is and where it leads.....   and there are no real good witches...   But I would not recommend without supervision.....   but that goes with just about any movie....      Signs was more bothersome to me than these movies.

But still it is compromising your faith oo. You are making worldly excuses to do what you want to do. Making wordly choices. That is not what the Bible wants us to do. 

• This is Worthy 1

2 hours ago, missmuffet said:

But still it is compromising your faith oo. You are making worldly excuses to do what you want to do. Making wordly choices. That is not what the Bible wants us to do. 

you haven't really watched the movies or especially read the books so I think I can tell you that you don't know what you are talking about.....  it is not compromising anything...  it actually has nothing whatsoever to do with my faith...   and I think I am a much better judge of the subject considering I am very familiar with it as you are not.